Help with shooting fast moving objects

Soldato
Using the Sony A7iii and Tamron 28-75mm i want to get some pictures of me and my dad on our motorbikes but as this is the first time i am attempting this, i need some guidance. :)

The finished picture i want is us in focus with a nice soft blurred background.

If you could help me select the correct mode, AF settings etc that would be great.

Do i need a tripod? What about filters?

It will be tomorrow lunch time so it may be bright sunshine or it may to torrential rain!

Thanks. :)

Soldato
Will these bikes be moving? Or literally shots of you on it?

If stationary it's very easy, I would use aperture priority mode, set to 2.8, then stand far enough back to get a good framing with around 50mm or above - you can use a single shot shutter mode and wide area af should be fine

If moving it's more difficult and will require more settings. You will probably get better results with a tripod or monopod but you can do it without one. I would again go with shutter priority mode set to about 1/50th to start off with (this will vary on light, speed of target etc and you may want to try slower), but the focus would be on continuous and so will the shutter. You want to the try and match your panning speed with the speed of the bike, and hold your finger down on the shutter release and follow the bike as it goes past, taking multiple shots. You may also need to zoom out a little as the bike approaches, depending on how close to the road you are standing. (Beware if zooming out and holding the shutter release you will also get blur from the zoom from a slow shutter speed)

This is how I would try to do it, but it is by no means the best way, happy to be corrected by someone who has tried it more than I.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for your response, the bikes will be moving, I'd say around 60mph, may be more or less depending on the road.

The road we have chosen is very wide but the path is roughly 1.5 metres away from the road so the 75mm should be ok for that.

I have a tripod I can use with a rotating head so at least if I follow the bike while shooting, it'll be a smooth movement.

It just means I can't go out on my bike because the tripod is too awkward for me to carry while on my bike.

Soldato
Just expect a high miss ratio on this one!

Another way if you want to try without the tripod is to use the camera strap - put it behind your neck then hold out so the strap is taught, it gives you a lot more stability - you can use the screen on the back to see rather than the evf

Soldato
Not that I'm particularly experienced in this, but I would prefer the strap method over a tripod for this. As the bike passes, you're turning quite quick to try and keep it in the middle of the frame. I would also suggest, you generally need to try and aim the lens slightly ahead in order for it to end up with the bike quite central :)

Soldato
OP
Just expect a high miss ratio on this one!

Another way if you want to try without the tripod is to use the camera strap - put it behind your neck then hold out so the strap is taught, it gives you a lot more stability - you can use the screen on the back to see rather than the evf
That's a good idea actually as it saves me trying to carry the tripod around! I expect it to take me ages to get it right! :p

Soldato
OP
Not that I'm particularly experienced in this, but I would prefer the strap method over a tripod for this. As the bike passes, you're turning quite quick to try and keep it in the middle of the frame. I would also suggest, you generally need to try and aim the lens slightly ahead in order for it to end up with the bike quite central :)
That's true, i bet the first few goes i'll either get the background in focus or the whole image will be one big blur :p

Soldato
Rain would have been good, as the spray from the tyres and gear, beading on visor etc looks great. It sounds like you're very close to the bike, so you're going have to be at the wider end of that focal length and will need a slower shutter. I'd imagine that hand held on the Sony would be fine - I haven't used mine for any panning action shots yet but you can shoot such slow stills that it feels possible.

Below was 1/100 at 150mm f/10 (at the top of Grimsel Pass ;) )

HjC9OOF.jpg

Associate
I suggest that you go and practice for an hour or so on some passing cars and bikes to refine your technique before the main event.

It can be difficult to get it right.

1/50 or 1/60 if you can and I would shoot at F8 as the panning movement would blur the background anyway

These aren't great but will give you an idea. Try and leave some space in the shot in front of the direction of travel as it will look better

DSC_2567.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2632.jpg

DSC_2590.jpg

Back
Top Bottom