What to do with a drug addict

Soldato
Heroin, crack, cocaibe as far as I know.

I have no time for him, it's mum I am worried
About

Yes, that's understandable but your mother probably wants the best for him. If anything happens to him she's likely to suffer very badly.

Get him help even if it means getting him sectioned. It's the best thing for your mother and your brother and when he comes out the other side, he might even thank you.

Man of Honour
I'm afraid I don't have any experience to give any advice. But good luck getting it sorted. My gut instinct would be to tell him to stop fleecing you mum, and separately to tell her she's making the situation worse. But it's a tough one and things could end badly either way.

Soldato
There is basically no help for people in your brothers situation other than family.

My brother/mother have the same situation as yours, at the end of the day he is her son and you telling her to cut ties won't do anything, so I just leave them all to it and enjoy my own decent life that i've worked hard for.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've no experience in this but consider black box thinking...

Why
is he addicted to heroin etc? Did he lose is job, get in with the wrong crowd, use it to cope with pain from an injury?

Try figuring that out then using it to tackle the problem at its root. Just labelling him as a useless drug addict and cutting him off isn't really the best option I'd imagine.

Soldato
Stuck between a rock and a hard place, there is no correct (or easy) way to deal with an addict and a mother who can't say no.

Soldato
We need to petition the government to stop artificially inflating the price of drugs. Drugs should cost what they are worth. His drugs should cost no more than 5 pence per gram but the government make it cost up to £50 per gram so they and criminal gangs can maximise profit.

Associate
There's nothing you can do. It's down to your mum and your brother. Your mum might benefit fro, so,e help from some support from a group like Al-Anon who are there to help the loved ones of alcoholics. She probably can't see that she isn't being kind or loving by giving him money, she's ensuring that his drug dependency continues and that the hell both she and your brother are experiencing continues.

I don't know enough about how to support someone in active addiction to offer more advice than sign posting you to someone who might help. I do know that my life had to be horrific before I stopped drinking and your mum's current actions would have hindered that, hurting us both.

Caporegime
Get your mum to transfer whatever money she has over to you so that he can't emotionally blackmail her, at least that way it's only one life being ruined.

Soldato
Get your mum to transfer whatever money she has over to you so that he can't emotionally blackmail her, at least that way it's only one life being ruined.

That's a good idea. But you must explain to your mum that she is enabling him. He will never move away from drugs if there is someone readily paying for them for him.

Things will probably get worse, before they get better, but by giving him money for drugs she is only making things worse. How would she feel if he died of an overdose or dodgy gear and it was her that gave him the money to buy the stuff?

By giving you control of her money she is moving herself from the problem and and acting in his best interest. However, standby for **** from your brother when he finds out!

Soldato
How would she feel if he died of an overdose or dodgy gear and it was her that gave him the money to buy the stuff?

By giving you control of her money she is moving herself from the problem and and acting in his best interest. However, standby for **** from your brother when he finds out!

He's already threatening suicide so this idea doesn't make sense.

The best thing for him and the entire country is that we simply END the entire inflated drugs economy which is being used to milk money and nothing else.

If his drugs cost 1 penny per hit then it's a win win situation for society. His mother is affected 10000% less and criminal gangs will stop selling cocaine because it's worth absolutely nothing. Unfortunately the government also looses out on proceeds of crime milkage so yeah the right and best thing won't happen sadly.

Soldato
I see these cases all the ******* time I deal with addicts every single day. It's such a pain to see these people being exploited and used as slaves to generate cash for criminals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
He's threatening suicide because it works to get money out of his mum, she'll run out of money eventually anyway so best to cut the strings asap and reduce the damage imo.

Soldato
He's threatening suicide because it works to get money out of his mum, she'll run out of money eventually anyway so best to cut the strings asap imo and reduce the damage.

So you are certain that suicide has absolutely no chance of occurring?

Because we do need to be careful and realise many interventions for drugs end up making life MUCH worse for the addict.

Associate
There is basically no help for people in your brothers situation other than family.

My brother/mother have the same situation as yours, at the end of the day he is her son and you telling her to cut ties won't do anything, so I just leave them all to it and enjoy my own decent life that i've worked hard for.

This is good advice, i know someone else that did just this, like others have said the mother instinct will just not let go, he will bleed her dry.

Sounds like a person i know from my way, a lot of people have said about taking him up north to leave him there and hopes he cant find he way back, the way they got him of there back is to make him rob you but having a camera so can prove its not his to take, then going to the police about it. Your mum will be scared of your brother so thats why he keeps on doing it.

Caporegime
So you are certain that suicide has absolutely no chance of occurring?

Whether it does or not they will find out later anyway, it's better to find out now rather than after OPs mum has remortgaged her house and is almost on the street herself.

Associate
Does your brother live with with your mum due to his circumstance, giving him a greater emotional control with the threats of self harm? If so, I wonder if the police could help intervene via domestic abuse legislation, as I believe that covers emotional abuse through threats of suicide.

Caporegime
Sounds like a person i know from my way, a lot of people have said about taking him up north to leave him there and hopes he cant find he way back, the way they got him of there back is to make him rob you but having a camera so can prove its not his to take, then going to the police about it. Your mum will be scared of your brother so thats why he keeps on doing it.

We don't want your useless wastes of humans up here.

Back
Top Bottom