Am I very wasteful with my money or is it the norm these days

Caporegime
I'm sorry, but you're so deluded. You ignorantly believe that you're right and you aren't up for an honest debate so I'm just going to drop this image from the housing affordability wikipedia page and leave this thread shaking my head in utter disbelief.

wq2T0Co.png

That doesn't give the full picture though - there is more to consider than just the price, interest rates affect affordability too, a lower price to earnings ratio might help with regards to the deposit but at the start of that chart you'd be paying circa 14% for your mortgage whereas you can be paying circa 2% these days... perhaps total cost of the typical mortgage at the time vs earnings might be a more interesting chart to look at.

Mortgage interest was circa 10% at the start of the 90s, they bounced around between 5% and 7% ish through that decade but by the end they were at 5%, mortgages became more easily available in the 90s too.

I don't doubt that in spite of that housing would still likely be less affordable in general these days, but the seemingly big differences in affordability might not be quite so significant... (the late 90s were clearly quite a nice time to buy!).

Soldato
Baby boomers be like "there's no problem with housing affordability" whilst watching bricks and mortar literally earn more than average salaries :rolleyes: How are you supposed to save for a house when said house is earning more than you? lol.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-baby-boomer-complaints-comebacks-millennials/ personally I like #5.

Baby boomers have been trolling millennials for years. Just wait until The Budget on 29 October. The chancellor's likely to cut back tax relief on pensions, now that baby boomers no longer need it. He'll then spend that on the NHS and social care, that the baby boomers are now starting to need more than ever!

Soldato
OP
Have to say past few days Cheese Twists from the bakery in sainsburies have been burning a hold in my pocket, so addictive, been caught out accidentally putting them through as bread buns in auto pilot :p

Soldato
Have to say past few days Cheese Twists from the bakery in sainsburies have been burning a hold in my pocket, so addictive, been caught out accidentally putting them through as bread buns in auto pilot :p
But in doing this, have you managed to save enough for a deposit on a nice 2-bed semi?

Man of Honour
Well there ya go then - If even an innumerate like me can figure the statistics without even looking at them, they must be fairly accurate.

Err, no thanks.
The last thing *I* need is people whining about not affording London to then come here and make MY life unaffordable, just so they can commute!!

HOW much??!!
My parents' 3-bed semi in Rickmansworth sold for only £44k!!

Far be it from me to dispute your post, but my first thought at reading £44k for a 3 bed in Rickmansworth was that must be a doozy of a typo, but I don’t know WHEN it was.
I Googled to check, and on Rightmove, it said that last year, the average house, (not just 3 beds), sold for £1,042,079 in Rickmansworth, the overall average for 3 beds was £638,953, up from £523,926 in 2015.
Placebuzz gave an average of £445,000 for 3 beds in Rickmansworth, a bit different from Rightmove, but far, far removed from £44k, did your parents sell in the sixties, or is there another Rickmansworth, an outlying suburb of West Hartlepool?

Back
Top Bottom