• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure what else you can do.
Like I said earlier, when you used another card and the problem was resolved that's the only true answer to your problem.

There is something going on with your video card that is causing the issue. What it is exactly is still a mystery.
Drivers don't fix it.
Any software tweaks don't fix it.
Using another video cards fixes it.

Can you take the card back?
I can't, too late.
But, if to be more accurate, AMD GPU almost (key word) haven't frame time spikes. They were less noticeable and frequent in GTA 5 though, but I couldn't test AMD in The Witcher 3 or other heavy games because of the card weakness. I've only tested AMD HD7770 in:
- GTA 5 (almost no spikes)
- CS:GO (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- TF2 (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- WOT (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- TW3 (unplayable slide-show with 14 FPS)

Maybe it's game related, because GTA's engine is full of hitches (with 188 FPS cap) due to poor porting from XBox. Other games (TF2, CS & WOT) work well on GTX also, not on AMD only. IDK what the hell are that spikes...

Soldato
I can't, too late.
But, if to be more accurate, AMD GPU almost (key word) haven't frame time spikes. They were less noticeable and frequent in GTA 5 though, but I couldn't test AMD in The Witcher 3 or other heavy games because of the card weakness. I've only tested AMD HD7770 in:
- GTA 5 (almost no spikes)
- CS:GO (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- TF2 (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- WOT (no spikes as it's on 1080 Ti)
- TW3 (unplayable slide-show with 14 FPS)

Maybe it's game related, because GTA's engine is full of hitches (with 188 FPS cap) due to poor porting from XBox. Other games (TF2, CS & WOT) work well on GTX also, not on AMD only. IDK what the hell are that spikes...
The problem with that test setup is that GTA 5 was coded and designed for nvidia. So, I take Almost as being perfect in that regard. As AMD had to invest a lot of resources to get their drivers working with a game that's not design for their own hardware. You really should take some time to research some of these games to see which one's favor nvidia and amd. That really is "A THING" in the PC gaming space.

Which brings me to the next point. Since GTA 5 heavily favors Nvidia you shouldn't be having problems at all. You don't need tweaked drivers for a game developed to take advantage of nvidia's hardware.
This is the true red flag here why I think the issue goes beyond drivers. Because you don't need them that much to get the game to just "work". Since others with 1080ti's don't have that problem it appears your card maybe operating incorrectly.

Another thing. This is something that has greatly gone under the radar. There are so many threads regarding 1080 TI with "Dropped FPS", "Stutter" and the like that I've finally took the time to list just some that I've recalled from the past.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/637650/discussions/0/3288067088091582686/?ctp=4
FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/3211505894111219384/
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/82ejp6/reminder_for_nvidia_card_users_who_are/
Path of Exile

https://bethesda.net/community/topi...-1080-ti-insane-stuttering-even-at-140-fps/15
Quake Champions

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/102029/poor-performance-good-system-creators-update
Poor Performance - Good System - Creators Update (BF1)

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-u...kes-since-last-patch-with-8700k-and-1080ti/p2
fps drops / stuttering / micro stutter / cpu spikes since last patch with 8700k and 1080ti (BF1)

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/127126/windows-10-fall-creators-update-results
windows 10 fall creators update - results (BF1)

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753726062
Is Overwatch poorly optimized for the 1080 Ti? (Overwatch)

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17617752970
Low FPS with GTX 1080ti (Overwatch)

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759266565
Anyone here play Overwatch with a 1080ti?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...pped-frame-stuttering-freezing-gameplay-issue
Project cars 2 dropped frame/stuttering/freezing gameplay issue

Stuttering in PC2 and Forza 7
https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1638721-stuttering-pc2-forza-7-a.html

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst128825_Forza-7-PC-stuttering.aspx
Forza 7 PC stuttering

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/92mnv3/im_getting_a_lot_stuttering_with_a_good_setup/
I’m getting A LOT stuttering with a good setup. Anyone have any fixes? (The Division)

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1572617-For-Honor-frame-stutter
For Honor frame stutter

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/91ja4h/lag_fps_drop_when_someone_shoots_you/
Lag (FPS Drop) when someone shoots you?

And I will end it with Monter Hunter: World
Consistent 60fps but terrible microstuttering
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1735462352467898559/

If you have the time you will notice that these links are multi-page. Most of which blame the developer for the issue. However, had they "known" the other threads in other gaming forums they would see a much bigger and better picture. Which is where:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6oubum/nvidia_confirms_stuttering_fps_drops_lag_problems/
NVIDIA confirms stuttering, fps drops, lag problems are an issue of their drivers

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/2/
All games stuttering with FPS drops since Windows 10 Creators Update

come into play. You are by no means the only one having this problem. In the span of the last 24 hours there was a new thread with someone having the exact same problem.

IMO there is no fixing it. No matter what you do to try to fix it. It won't be fixed through normal means. There is way to many complaint threads that have tried every end user idea imaginable to fix it no real resolution to the problem to suggest that it's not fixable by the end user.

Again, I don't understand how this has gone on for so long under the radar.

Last edited:
Soldato
ManuelG posted on the Nvidia forums they hope to get a new driver out that fixes or at least improves stuttering. He said it won't come in the next driver, but hopefully soon after. He said that initial testing of the driver fixes for this have shown a significant improvement.

Associate
OP
ManuelG posted on the Nvidia forums they hope to get a new driver out that fixes or at least improves stuttering. He said it won't come in the next driver, but hopefully soon after. He said that initial testing of the driver fixes for this have shown a significant improvement.
In hope...

Soldato
If there is a true fix I would expect a bios update to fix the issue. I don't believe that it's a driver problem. As there are others who don't have the issue at all. The only commonality is what bios is being used on what card.

For example:
One thing that could cause stutter, frame rate drops, microstuttering can be linked to incorrect vram timing based on the binned GPU (good bin vs less then good). It can be either too aggressive, relaxed or simply not right.

Associate
OP
If there is a true fix I would expect a bios update to fix the issue. I don't believe that it's a driver problem. As there are others who don't have the issue at all. The only commonality is what bios is being used on what card.

I will say that one thing that could cause stutter, frame rate drops, microstuttering can be linked to vram timing being either too aggressive, relaxed or simply not right.
Interesting thoughts, but how to edit VRAM timings if there're no UI/UEFI/Software to do this? Manual GPU BIOS editing? :/

Soldato
Interesting thoughts, but how to edit VRAM timings if there're no UI/UEFI/Software to do this? Manual GPU BIOS editing? :/
That was something we could do back in the day.

With Vram it's was similar to dram timing. The problem is timing can be dynamic based on profile and clock rate (from what I've last read about it). As you've stated there is no app that monitors and shows what this is. So even if you mess with the bios itself you really have to know what you are doing.

The only thing I know that might work is to get a similar bios to your make/model that you know doesn't cause stutter and flash that on your card. However, the level of risk involved in doing so is high enough to cause one to consider if it's worth it or not.

Edit:
The gist is there are plenty 1080ti users who don't have this problem with the same make/model card. But again, this is no guarantee this will work nor if it will continue keep your card usable.

Last edited:
Soldato

For example:
One thing that could cause stutter, frame rate drops, microstuttering can be linked to incorrect vram timing based on the binned GPU (good bin vs less then good). It can be either too aggressive, relaxed or simply not right.
There've been cases where people with certain non reference cards have suffered from bugs that others haven't experienced yet Nvidia have been able to fix the issue with a driver. There was one recently that I had where you got an error message in the event log on every boot and the GPU was not recognised as having a UEFI VBIOS.

Soldato
This is risky, I wouldn't try especially without knowing exactly what the problem is. Nvidia have promised to fix this in a driver coming soon and initial testing has shown positive results. Just wait for the driver, that is what I'm doing.

Soldato
There've been cases where people with certain non reference cards have suffered from bugs that others haven't experienced yet Nvidia have been able to fix the issue with a driver. There was one recently that suffered where you got an error messge in the event log on every boot.

This has been going on for over a year. And this type of issue of stuttering/frame pacing/drop in fps are not "errors" that show up in a report. Did you see how old and large All games stuttering with FPS drops since Windows 10 Creators Update thread is? Have a look. Sure, I'm all for a fix to finally address whatever it is. But it's been over a year now in Geforce's own forum. But again, I do hope they finally fix the issue

Soldato
This has been going on for over a year. And this type of issue of stuttering/frame pacing/drop in fps are not "errors" that show up in a report. Did you see how old and large All games stuttering with FPS drops since Windows 10 Creators Update thread is? Have a look. Sure, I'm all for a fix to finally address whatever it is. But it's been over a year now in Geforce's own forum. But again, I do hope they finally fix the issue
They've got fix now though that is showing significant improvements in testing, that's the difference.

Soldato
They've got fix now though that is showing significant improvements in testing, that's the difference.
If that were true it would be released as a hot fix now. Not suggest that it might be fixed wtih an unknown future date. One doesn't just tell you something is fixed with no eta of a release. They just release it.

Sometimes, you gotta read between the lines.

Last edited:
Soldato
If that were true it would be released as a hot fix now. Not suggest that it might be fixed wtih an unknown future date. One doesn't just tell you something is fixed with no eta of a release. They just release it.

Sometimes, you gotta read between the lines.
I disagree, the reason they haven't released it yet is because they are making sure that it fixes the problem as much as possible and that it has no negative side effects. Nvidia have remained silent for over a year. Why would they tell us this out of the blue unless they were confident that it will improve things? They could easily stay silent as before and let us believe it's a minority of users with PC problems posting over and over again which is what some who don't have the problem think of us.

Soldato
I disagree, the reason they haven't released it yet is because they are making sure that it fixes the problem as much as possible and that it has no negative side effects. Nvidia have remained silent for over a year. Why would they tell us this out of the blue unless they were confident that it will improve things? They could easily stay silent as before and let us believe it's a minority of users with PC problems posting over and over again which is what some who don't have the problem think of us.
I'm not trying to convience you. Only point out the obvious.
However, you can revisit this thread in a month or 2 if they have a driver release that actually fixes the stuttering/fps slow downs/frame pacing. :p

Associate
OP
Hey OP, did you fix your issue? Mine still exists and there is no help on the horizon...
Hi man!
Unfortunately NO in general. :(
I tried different tweaks (thousands of 'em) but nothing good happened. TBH, by doing these tweaks to work around stuttering I've simultaneously learned a lot of miscellaneous cool things about OSs environment and other cool root things about computer technologies, Internet organization, and, of course, massive governments surveillance.

Windows is the worst possible OS ever in terms of security and especially privacy (its absent!). But it can't be beaten up in terms of games performance compare to Linux kernel OSs, and this is the most depressing thing out there.

About my issues, the only one somehow working solution to "fix" stuttering is to lock FPS with a help of RTSS. But this "tweak" doesn't work for all games. It helps a bit with PUBG (Pretty Ugly Buggy Game, in terms of performance & client injection vulnerability) and really more with GTA 5. In the later one 150 FPS cap helps a lot and almost erase stuttering at all.

But there're no solution to fix stuttering in TW3, hands down.

I'm so disappointed to spent fre*king 4K $ on the top PC and have so drastic performance isuues with these creepy-built games.

There must be something global, I mean:
* NVIDIA drivers root code errors
* GPU hardware (whole Pascal architecture) fundamental issue which is also present in the new RX 2080/Ti series
* Windows API/drivers interference
* purely coded games themselves

I'm done looking for the pi*zy fre*king culprits of this apocalypse.

Ditch you NVIDIA, MS, BluHole and all together! Argh!

Soldato
Hi man!
Unfortunately NO in general. :(
I tried different tweaks (thousands of 'em) but nothing good happened. TBH, by doing these tweaks to work around stuttering I've simultaneously learned a lot of miscellaneous cool things about OSs environment and other cool root things about computer technologies, Internet organization, and, of course, massive governments surveillance.

Windows is the worst possible OS ever in terms of security and especially privacy (its absent!). But it can't be beaten up in terms of games performance compare to Linux kernel OSs, and this is the most depressing thing out there.

About my issues, the only one somehow working solution to "fix" stuttering is to lock FPS with a help of RTSS. But this "tweak" doesn't work for all games. It helps a bit with PUBG (Pretty Ugly Buggy Game, in terms of performance & client injection vulnerability) and really more with GTA 5. In the later one 150 FPS cap helps a lot and almost erase stuttering at all.

But there're no solution to fix stuttering in TW3, hands down.

I'm so disappointed to spent fre*king 4K $ on the top PC and have so drastic performance isuues with these creepy-built games.

There must be something global, I mean:
* NVIDIA drivers root code errors
* GPU hardware (whole Pascal architecture) fundamental issue which is also present in the new RX 2080/Ti series
* Windows API/drivers interference
* purely coded games themselves

I'm done looking for the pi*zy fre*king culprits of this apocalypse.

Ditch you NVIDIA, MS, BluHole and all together! Argh!
I can confirm I had the same stuttering on my faulty 2080Ti, if anything it was worse. There is very little if any stutter on my old AMD HD6970 even though the frame rate is much lower. It must be an Nvidia, Intel and Windows 10 bug.

Associate
OP
I can confirm I had the same stuttering on my faulty 2080Ti, if anything it was worse. There is very little if any stutter on my old AMD HD6970 even though the frame rate is much lower. It must be an Nvidia, Intel and Windows 10 bug.
Does your 2080 Ti stuttering issue look like my 1080 Ti's? The same behavior as I notice?

And yeah, maybe they're almost no ideal 10-,2080 Ti GPU available, there's even no matter what reseller offers to buy those GPUs. It's global issue. For your notice, the best possible games performance can be achieved with Sep 385.69 NVIDIA driver but you probably can't use it with your 2080 Ti. Sadly.

Let's spam NVIDIA & MS to do something.

Soldato
Does your 2080 Ti stuttering issue look like my 1080 Ti's? The same behavior as I notice?

And yeah, maybe they're almost no ideal 10-,2080 Ti GPU available, there's even no matter what reseller offers to buy those GPUs. It's global issue. For your notice, the best possible games performance can be achieved with Sep 385.69 NVIDIA driver but you probably can't use it with your 2080 Ti. Sadly.

Let's spam NVIDIA & MS to do something.
Yes, the same issue. I posted earlier in the thread as my GTX 1080 (which I have now gone back to, I refunded the 2080Ti) had stuttering issues particularly in the Witcher 3.

The standby memory stutter bug (Microsoft claimed to fix a related bug, but it's not fixed) seems to only affect Nvidia, I have not seen a single AMD GPU user with this issue, yet Nvidia claim it's simply a Microsoft problem. If that were the case then AMD would also be affected.

By the way, I found something interesting: 3D Mark Firestrike graphics test 1 will stutter at the beginning of the test unless Nvidia Share is enabled in Geforce Experience. When you enable this all stuttering goes in this benchmark(it doesn't work for games unfortunately). I have confirmed this on 3 Intel+Nvidia+Windows 10 PCs. The only one without the problem was an AMD Ryzen 1600 + 1080 Ti which also doesn't stutter in the Witcher 3.

My solution will be to go AMD when they have something competitive if this is not fixed.

Back
Top Bottom