• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Sorry, I should have said I am using adaptive mode. Dno if that makes a difference. Asus z370g

Could well be, I take it you had to get a bios update to run the cpu on the z370. I have never used adaptive/offset voltages on any of my boards im afraid.

Give manual voltage a go, nothing to loose, I will probably run my 9900k at 5.0ghz @1.20v for 24/7 use.

Associate
Some oc numbers, voltages, speeds and scores towards the second half of this video. Describes the chip as good silicon and it is a sample provided by gigabyte so keep that in mind.

Associate
After a lot of tinkering I have my 3200mhz ram running at 4133mhz stable on this 9900k, with cache at 5.0ghz. Needed to play with the SA and IO quite a bit, these voltages can be very picky, and less is sometimes more. On my Apex board this kit needed SA at 1.23v and IO of 1.22v, and ram voltage of 1.470v. On my Hero for the same frequency it needs SA of 1.19v and IO of 1.21v. The IMC on this chip wont run 1t without very high voltage, which is just not worth it.

7c083bf6-7587-4c0a-9ebb-baa1765a5b66-original.jpg

Associate
Well I went ahead and ordered a Maximus XI Extreme today, I was hoping the Apex version would be available by now, but decided to get the Extreme instead. The Maximus XI Hero I have at the moment was only ever a stop gap board. Should be here Wednesday morning. Then the tinkering will begin again. ;)

Soldato
After a lot of tinkering I have my 3200mhz ram running at 4133mhz stable on this 9900k, with cache at 5.0ghz. Needed to play with the SA and IO quite a bit, these voltages can be very picky, and less is sometimes more. On my Apex board this kit needed SA at 1.23v and IO of 1.22v, and ram voltage of 1.470v. On my Hero for the same frequency it needs SA of 1.19v and IO of 1.21v. The IMC on this chip wont run 1t without very high voltage, which is just not worth it.

7c083bf6-7587-4c0a-9ebb-baa1765a5b66-original.jpg

What board?

Also, use Ramtest, fella. A lot easier than running multiple instances of HCI :)

Well I went ahead and ordered a Maximus XI Extreme today, I was hoping the Apex version would be available by now, but decided to get the Extreme instead. The Maximus XI Hero I have at the moment was only ever a stop gap board. Should be here Wednesday morning. Then the tinkering will begin again. ;)

Apex arrived from HQ today. If you're looking to run 4133MHz+ on the DIMM side it's the board of choice besides the Gene.

Sorry, I should have said I am using adaptive mode. Dno if that makes a difference. Asus z370g

Be aware that it's not possible to set the total adaptive voltage to lower than the stock VID for a given ratio (without the use of the offset function).

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
What board?

Also, use Ramtest, fella. A lot easier than running multiple instances of HCI :)

Apex arrived from HQ today. If you're looking to run 4133MHz+ on the DIMM side it's the board of choice besides the Gene.

Be aware that it's not possible to set the total adaptive voltage to lower than the stock VID for a given ratio (without the use of the offset function).

Had a look at Apex at HQ a few weeks back, it is for sure on par with Gene, in fact it was marginally better on DRAM clocks and of course is full ATX which will make many happy. Absolutely the best mainboard from Asus for MAX OC potential and best motherboard full stop for overclocking I suspect.

Associate
Thanks Gibbo, I know all about the Apex, as I said I have the IX Apex, its a monster. But got fed up with waiting for the XI Apex, so ordered the XI Extreme. I already have the XI Hero, which is a great board as well, as you can see from my post above.

Soldato
Had a look at Apex at HQ a few weeks back, it is for sure on par with Gene, in fact it was marginally better on DRAM clocks and of course is full ATX which will make many happy. Absolutely the best mainboard from Asus for MAX OC potential and best motherboard full stop for overclocking I suspect.

Yep, it's brutal. Very much a case of less is more with the Apex line when it comes to overclocking.

Formula XI won me this gen, though. Fantastic looking board :)

Associate
So, I've been testing for the past few days. Now at 5GHz all cores. 1.350v LLC 6. Haven't had any errors since using these settings. However, the temps are a massive issue. I have double checked the Kraken x62 and it's seated fine. I am getting game temps between 75-90c and it spikes up to 100c at higher usage in all games. I know this is a hot chip, but does this seem like something funky is going on? My case is not the best for airflow and the top where the radiator is is pretty much sealed. Never experienced such temps with 8700k @ 5GHz.

Associate
Formula XI won me this gen, though. Fantastic looking board :)

It does look stunning but it's not without its flaws.

The lighting is much too dim and the mirror finish on the waterblock shroud is terrible. Mine arrived with a small mark on it. I tried to wipe the mark away with a soft microfibre cloth and the surface turned black.

I can't fix the mirror finish on the heatsink shroud but i hope that i can up the brightness on the on board leds at some point. This is a common and justified complaint amongst formula xi owners.

Aside from these flaws i agree it does look great. Sadly, despite how they sound, they aren't small issues.

Associate
Prob just need a delid then Dan. Your call if that's worth it. Unless on 1080p and pushing for fps prob just as well rolling it back 100hz which I imagine would put you around 1.28v give or take.

Associate
Yeah, I was getting max 90c AT 4.9GHz. I am thinking, either increase the TDP to 115c to stop throttling and accept insane temps, or role back to 4.9GHz. I have seen max of 2% throttling and the current TDP should keep me from going over 100c. Not that I want to be up that high anyway, but if it continued to work I could leave it where it is. I dno how long it might last though!

Soldato
It does look stunning but it's not without its flaws.

The lighting is much too dim and the mirror finish on the waterblock shroud is terrible. Mine arrived with a small mark on it. I tried to wipe the mark away with a soft microfibre cloth and the surface turned black.

I can't fix the mirror finish on the heatsink shroud but i hope that i can up the brightness on the on board leds at some point. This is a common and justified complaint amongst formula xi owners.

Aside from these flaws i agree it does look great. Sadly, despite how they sound, they aren't small issues.

The finish shouldn't rub off. I've wiped mine several times without a problem. Sure there weren't any chemicals on the cloth? Aura should let you adjust the brightness, mine appears to be bright enough. Although I prefer things to be relatively subtle.

Back
Top Bottom