SSD for PS4

Soldato
I used the 1Tb Seagate SSHD as I'm not sure Playstation has TRIM support (It didn't when I bought the SSHD).

What size were you thinking as the size/budget would determine which brand you could go for?

Associate
OP
Well it's not for me it's my friend who's asking, he didn't specify a budget but would like something decent. He's ideally looking for a 1TB drive though and as I know nothing about consoles I wasn't able to help him. Are there specific drives that won't work for PS4?

Associate
Any particular reason why you'd want an SSD for a PS4? It makes so little difference you're better off buying a higher capacity HDD...
I'd disagree with this, my games load noticeably faster. Less texture pop in during many games and big reduction in hitching in PS4 menus and many games.

I found it made the biggest difference on my pro vs my old standard PS4.

Running a crucial MX500 1tb in mine.

Caporegime
I'd disagree with this, my games load noticeably faster. Less texture pop in during many games and big reduction in hitching in PS4 menus and many games.

I found it made the biggest difference on my pro vs my old standard PS4.

Running a crucial MX500 1tb in mine.

over time an SSD gets slower and slower and slower in a console due to no TRIM support, etc.

so it's a waste of money.

also if you want faster loading times buy a hybrid drive. i load into destiny faster than others in my fireteam and in battlefield i get into a vehicle before others have loaded in.

hybrid drive is the only drive which makes sense for speed on a console.

Associate
over time an SSD gets slower and slower and slower in a console due to no TRIM support, etc.

so it's a waste of money.

also if you want faster loading times buy a hybrid drive. i load into destiny faster than others in my fireteam and in battlefield i get into a vehicle before others have loaded in.

hybrid drive is the only drive which makes sense for speed on a console.

TRIM shouldn't matter with modern SSD drive controllers, due to the nature of how they work now.

SSDs additionally are so cheap these days that I'd rather spend the 25% extra on an SSD. I did some testing with my PS4 with a traditional drive, SSD and Hybrid drives. Whilst the hybrid drive could be decent it was only typically with some scenarios and repeat games. The SSD continually came out top and was the easy choice for someone wanting the best performance.

Caporegime
TRIM shouldn't matter with modern SSD drive controllers, due to the nature of how they work now.

SSDs additionally are so cheap these days that I'd rather spend the 25% extra on an SSD. I did some testing with my PS4 with a traditional drive, SSD and Hybrid drives. Whilst the hybrid drive could be decent it was only typically with some scenarios and repeat games. The SSD continually came out top and was the easy choice for someone wanting the best performance.

25% extra?

show me a 2TB SSD for £60?

Associate
25% extra?

show me a 2TB SSD for £60?

A 1tb SSHD I can find for around £60-65 it's only 5400rpm. A 1tb SSD can be picked up for a few pounds over £100 over the last couple of weeks.

Whilst that's more like 40% it's still a worthwhile spend! £40 isn't a whole lot of money when I'm spending £1100 on a gfx card and £500 on cpus these days... spinning disks of all types need to go away.

Caporegime
SSHD is the best buy for a PS4, don't need to worry about TRIM as the drive firmware deals with it.

I have a firecuda in mine and it's noticeably faster.

Back
Top Bottom