MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Associate
Not sure what they are like on the mk3 but I had Bilstein B14s on my mk2 and found them excellent in all conditions. I road tripped Europe in it, used it to go to the shops, and regularly had it on track or at the Nurburgring. At no point on the road or track did I feel I needed better suspension for the task at hand. They are only height adjustable, so fixed dampening, but they just worked and regularly had passengers commenting on how good the set up was. They were much better, IMO, than the Gaz Gold Pro's that my brother and mates ran.

Caporegime
So VLSD is basically an open LSD now :p

Having owned a 5 with a VLSD before, and another with a Torsen, I know they aren't the best, but this one actually works fairly well considering their bad rep. It can spin both rear wheels in the dry. Of course there is always the possibility that a previous owner put a Torsen in it, but it doesn't feel as good as the Torsen I had in my MK2 1.8S. So I'm going to assume its a healthy viscous diff.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How did you get on?

Brands was a wash out in the morning to the extent they red flagged it for a while until the some of the corners weren't quite so water logged. There were still streams coming across the track though. I only got one run in late morning but the afternoon cleared up which was good. A nice track even in its short form with a lot of camber and things to catch you out. Took it steady but had a good day. A lot went into the kitty litter and a few into the tyres as well. There was only one bell end there (always one) in a MK1 Fiesta with what sounded like a Civic engine in it or similar. Quick car and driver but was doing some silly overtakes in difficult conditions and went off several times. Ended up dropping oil over half the track in the afternoon and towed away. Felt a bit better after seeing that, especially after some of his moves and overtaking under yellows etc.

Going to get alignment and fast road geo set up as it feels a bit off atm. I've got fairly reasonable road tyres on it but it wasn't that steady and others seem to have a lot more grip in the wet... could be many things mind but just felt I had less than expected. Pics/videos tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Finally put the other wheels on my Arizona. Clearly they're rather marmite, with most people I ask saying "no thanks". I think they give the car a more 60s look and really like them:

47572261_10219343480404630_1320024938198859776_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom