• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sold used i7 as new..?

Associate
Hi there,

This isn't concerning a product bought from OCUK but form a retailer on Amazon. (Yes their rating suggested they are legit)

Firstly, the box is in shoddy condition and the CPU cardboard holder was loose but still had the 'factory sealed' sticker on so I let it pass.

So I open this up and notice there scratches on it. Not the lid itself, but the green board (sorry, don't know the correct name)

Is this normal? I don't have much experience with buying cpus so I don't know. But I'm guessing if it's factory sealed then this shouldn't happen.
Is this something I take up with Intel or the supplier?

https://imgur.com/a/aVmbPyY

Apologies for the bad pictures, can't find my macro lens and my phone is all I have.
So, as you can see, behind the notches, the 8 gold connector pins, the gold triangle all have hair line scratches. They look worse to the eye, the pictures don't do it justice.

So, thoughts? Recommendations?
Thanks.

Caporegime
As it's Amazon I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Pentium with the heatspreader swapped, I once bought a 4 pack of memory with 2 sticks removed, it doesn't seem like Amazon check returns so people are all too happy to abuse it.

Soldato
At least you got something in the box! I had a an empty Samsung 970 Evo box from them recently. Instant refund and a real one was delivered next day, sometimes **** happens. Do an online chat and tell them you want to send it back for a new one.
Andi.

Soldato
At least you got something in the box! I had a an empty Samsung 970 Evo box from them recently. Instant refund and a real one was delivered next day, sometimes **** happens. Do an online chat and tell them you want to send it back for a new one.
Andi.

So you got a free 970 ?

I ordered a Cree LED bike light set from them for £25 once and got a dishwaser utensil holder instead.

Caporegime
He probably did the sensible thing and ordered another one from elsewhere.

I think there's been cases in the past where Amazon have bought stock from dodgy suppliers.

Associate
OP
So I sent off an email to the seller requesting a refund.
Will just get one from OCUK when I get the money back.

Thanks for the help guys.

OC are a bit more price wise but that shows me for trying to save 30 quid!

Associate
wow, box with fragile stuff inside put in the plastic bag for shipping :D :D :D

this was thrown into the back of the delivery van by the looks of it

Soldato
You pays your moneys you take your chances...My mate just received this...

7wuPkDE.jpg
dUQwruo.jpg

I told him to ask OCUK for a price match but would he listen??
so the box is beat up - probably from the courier, are the box contents ok? if so, what's the issue? if it is an issue raise it with the retailer, no need for any great drama. you know that you can and will get beat up boxes from OcUK too?

Associate
so the box is beat up - probably from the courier, are the box contents ok? if so, what's the issue? if it is an issue raise it with the retailer, no need for any great drama. you know that you can and will get beat up boxes from OcUK too?
Yeah but those boxes come with haribo :cool: it's like a tech pinata.

Soldato
Am I the only person that expects the retail box to arrive undamaged!?!? Is that unreasonable lol?
In my experience OCUK have always shipped retail boxes within protective boxes. a single layer of bubble wrap in a thin plastic bag is asking for trouble.

Soldato
Am I the only person that expects the retail box to arrive undamaged!?!? Is that unreasonable lol?
In my experience OCUK have always shipped retail boxes within protective boxes. a single layer of bubble wrap in a thin plastic bag is asking for trouble.

Yes...

You're paying for the product inside the box, with the box designed to protect the contents.

Do you treat any boxes that your food comes in the same?

Soldato
Yes...

You're paying for the product inside the box, with the box designed to protect the contents.

Do you treat any boxes that your food comes in the same?
I'm just legit going to treat you as a troll then. That is just absurd. Food comes in a throwaway box. CPU boxes are SUPPOSED TO BE KEPT should you wish to return the item. Totally different.
I, like MANY others keep my tech and sell it in the future. A nice box commands a higher price than a damaged one.

Quite simply I expect a CPU box arrive in the same condition as I can get it at a physical store. If not. I'll buy it at the physical store.

Soldato
I'm just legit going to treat you as a troll then. That is just absurd. Food comes in a throwaway box. CPU boxes are SUPPOSED TO BE KEPT should you wish to return the item. Totally different.
I, like MANY others keep my tech and sell it in the future. A nice box commands a higher price than a damaged one.

Quite simply I expect a CPU box arrive in the same condition as I can get it at a physical store. If not. I'll buy it at the physical store.
then start buying at physical stores. the boxes are not designed with your resale value in mind. the condition of the box should you need to return the item due to a fault is irrelevant. as i said, if the damaged box is causing such an issue then take it up with the retailer. i imagine how that conversation will go.
A nice box commands a higher price than a damaged one.
no it doesn't, you just think it does. i've sold plenty of second hand tech items over the years and not for one second would i lower the price of the item just because the box was a bit damaged. you might be daft enough to lower or think you need to lower the price but MANY others aren't and don't.

Back
Top Bottom