Not done, yet...

Man of Honour
Hi, all.

Trying to get back into some semblance of training since a shoulder injury a few months ago has been hard, but I had my final consultation yesterday and need to re-programme my training. Effectively, the conclusion is that I *partially* dislocated my shoulder during a heavy snatch, and all the muscles seized up in trying to stabilise it... another couple of months' recovery required. :p

Effectively, some family stuff has given me a bit more impetus to look after my plumbing a bit more meaning I bought a TT bike and am exploring how best to torch my 10-15 mile commute, but I can't deal with being as weak as a civilian (got halfway there the past couple of months and it was not a good place to be)… or looking like one.

So two conflicting goals: get back to big(ger than I currently am) and get to 350W FTP. :D

Stats at present:

Height: 180cm
Weight: 87kg :)eek:)
Current FTP: 208W

Lifts are nothing special at the moment as I haven't tested them in a long time. My current program is going to be based around the following push-pull(ish) method:

Day 1:
- Front squat (6-6-AMRAP)
- Bench (6-6-AMRAP)
- Deltsantrize (all of them)

Day 2:
- Deadlift (5-4-3-3)
- RDL (6-6-AMRAP)
- Row (6-6-AMRAP)
- Broceps (even more)

Day 3:
- DBSS (6-6-AMRAP)
- Strict press (6-6-AMRAP)
- Push-up (6-6-AMRAP)

Day 4:
- Clean pull (6-6-AMRAP)
- Chinups (6-6-AMRAP)
- Broceps (+1m)

Depending on what is going on, I will be doing a fast 10 mile ride and a medium 15 miler once a week (each) and I'm going to try and get some quality time on a Watt bike doing HIIT intervals... :o

Man of Honour
OP
First session of the current regime...

DEADLIFT (5-4-3-3-3) 100-120-130-130-130 So many cobwebs. :D
RDL (6-6-AMRAP) 100-80-80(12-4-5) Ouch. That is going to hurt tomorrow.
ROW (6-6-AMRAP) 60-60-60(12-4-4)
BROCEP (*)

Ooft. Posterior chain was trembling after this!

Man of Honour
OP
Well, AMRAP with DBSS is unpleasant. :o

DBSS (6-6-AMRAP) BW(10)-10-20-30(10-4-4) That hurt. A lot.
OHP (DNF) Shoulder did not like this one bit...
BENCH (6-6-6) BAR-40-40 Weirdly, this wasn't so bad...?

So, my shoulder isn't right, but then I don't think anybody would be surprised.

Also, the routine is a less good variant of Christian Thibaudeau's post on T-Nation (not sure how I wound up there... Was probably looking for "how to get awsum arms" or something...

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, so my shoulder was definitely not happy. Felt pretty sore for the most of today! :eek:

CLEAN PULL (6-6-AMRAP) 60-60-80(10-4-4)
PULLUPS (6-6-AMRAP) BW-BW-BW(6-2-2)
BROCEPS (*)

Man of Honour
OP
Straightforward as my son decided to join in and do some plyo work...

FRONT SQUAT (6-6-AMRAP) 60-65-65(10-4-4)

My shoulder wasn't having any pressing, so that was that. :p

Man of Honour
OP
Hehehehe... it seems the only training I am good for is legs, and even then only really the posterior chain! :D

DEADLIFT (5-4-3-3-3) 110-120-135-135-135 Felt heavy. Felt good.
RDL (6-6-AMRAP) 60-70-70(6) Different technique on the last set: 5 second negative with as long a hold as possible and full stretch. This ripped more shoulders more than anything else, and teed me up nicely for...
BARBELL ROW (6-6-AMRAP) 70-70-70
BROCEPS (6-6-AMRAP) BAR-5-5(6) Woah. 5 second negatives on brocep curlz were horrible.

Soldato
Here for the FTP :cool:

I took mine from around a similar value (I had no actual measure of power when I first started) to 302w in April this year, which entailed holding 324w~ for 22+ minutes up Val De Ebo in Denia, Spain after 8 days of riding and minimal lifting for 2-3 years prior :p Which put me at around 3.7/3.8wkg.

You'll get some noobie gains as your conditioning improves but much like the barbell gains diminish with time. 350w is ambitious to say the least, not impossible but should be a long-term goal rather than short-term imo :)

Man of Honour
OP
Here for the FTP :cool:

I took mine from around a similar value (I had no actual measure of power when I first started) to 302w in April this year, which entailed holding 324w~ for 22+ minutes up Val De Ebo in Denia, Spain after 8 days of riding and minimal lifting for 2-3 years prior :p Which put me at around 3.7/3.8wkg.

You'll get some noobie gains as your conditioning improves but much like the barbell gains diminish with time. 350w is ambitious to say the least, not impossible but should be a long-term goal rather than short-term imo :)

If it wasn't ambitious, this log would be as dull as one of my normal posts... :cool: :eek:

Man of Honour
OP
First session back after two weeks on holiday... :eek:

FRONT SQUAT (6-6-AMRAP) 60-70-70(9-3-2) Today was always going to suck, and this confirmed it.
BENCH (10-10-10-10) 20-20-30-30 We shall see how my shoulder behaves, but this didn't feel bad...!
DELTSANTRIZE (*) Felt a bit weird when doing lat raises, but I also haven't done these in forever...

It's happening..! #hnnnnnnnng

Man of Honour
OP
Erm... It is a bit of a complicated one that I am deliberately misinterpreting to suit my time slots.

Effectively, the hypothesis from Christian Thibaudeau is that non-enhanced trainers should cut their training volume, but make that volume more stressful: two ways to do this are "AMRAP with rest-pause" (where the first two sets are classed as warmups) and "slow negatives with pause and maximum stretch" (5 seconds down, hold for as long as possible, back up).

Each workout takes about fifteen minutes and causes unpleasant DOMS, so that's a win... particularly as I can't train properly at the moment with my gammy shoulder...

Back
Top Bottom