Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
I don't know enough about Captain Marvel (long, long ago) back when I read Marvel comics Rogue had absorbed her powers so she wasn't an active character.
Based on the source material, is she going to be an interesting character? I'm watching the trailer and seeing the flying around in space zapping stuff and worried about a Superman type character. Personally I find Superman a bit dull because he's so powerful it often feels like unless he's fighting other Kryptonians then the balance is always rather contrived.
Brie Larson is however easy on the eye, of this there is no doubt.

Soldato
I don't know enough about Captain Marvel (long, long ago) back when I read Marvel comics Rogue had absorbed her powers so she wasn't an active character.
Based on the source material, is she going to be an interesting character? I'm watching the trailer and seeing the flying around in space zapping stuff and worried about a Superman type character. Personally I find Superman a bit dull because he's so powerful it often feels like unless he's fighting other Kryptonians then the balance is always rather contrived.

I believe she is marvel's Superman equal and opposite, I did see the other day that they've buffed her powers in the film to be more than that of the comic.

Soldato
I agree with the thought that superman is boring because he is so OP and such an incorruptible goodie-goodie.
I hope that Cpt Marvel doesn't go that way too.

Caporegime
Is it me or does Bree Larson just look so... bland?
Is it me or has the entire MCU is begun to look bland? My reaction is now pretty much, "Oh another one so soon? Guess I'll watch it when it's on TV."

I guess as I never read comics as a kid I never got into the whole "superheros vs alien gods" marlarky. They are a somewhat diverting waste of a couple hours and normally have their good points, but really it's pretty much the same story over and over. Origins -> superpowers -> angry alien gods -> more alien gods -> giant, world eating, really ****** off alien gods -> MCU fatigue.

Soldato
I'm sure it'll suffer burnout/fatigue eventually

But name me another series of movies with 20+ titles where the quality has been so consistent.

Pretty much sums up the appeal.

There isn't another project like the MCU. 22 films in 11 years all (mostly) coherent and connected together within the same world, with countless different plotlines all coming together in the events of Infinity War and Endgame.

While I get the "eugh... more superheroes" thinking, surely the scale of the MCU is at least somewhat impressive? It's storytelling on a scale that hasn't been attempted before in the cinema.

Soldato
Is anyone interested in an Avengers lead by Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Spiderman though? Iron Man, Captain America and Thor aren't going to around for ever, maybe even leaving after Endgame, and that lineup just doesn't have the same appeal to me that they do.

Associate
how did captain marvel get her powers if anyone knows? didn't she merge with someone to save her life in the comics or something? or am I thinking of a complete different character?

Caporegime
how did captain marvel get her powers if anyone knows? didn't she merge with someone to save her life in the comics or something? or am I thinking of a complete different character?

In the comics she was infused by Kree blood and DNA after crashing AFAIK. The latest trailer goes into it a little bit.

Caporegime
Even the most middling MCU movie is perfectly watchable (Thor: Dark World, Iron Man II etc)
I agree with you. But I know going in it's going to be largely the same generally thrust as the last one :p

Actually I couldn't get into Spiderman: Homecoming at all. The only MCU film I gave up on and turned off. It was just a bit naff having Spiderman be Iron Man lite. Oh look, another guy in a high tech suit that talks to him.

Maybe it improved but I was so bored I turned it off :(

Caporegime
Is it me or has the entire MCU is begun to look bland? My reaction is now pretty much, "Oh another one so soon? Guess I'll watch it when it's on TV."

I guess as I never read comics as a kid I never got into the whole "superheros vs alien gods" marlarky. They are a somewhat diverting waste of a couple hours and normally have their good points, but really it's pretty much the same story over and over. Origins -> superpowers -> angry alien gods -> more alien gods -> giant, world eating, really ****** off alien gods -> MCU fatigue.

Yeah, I agree. I watch them, but not in the cinema.

Soldato
Is anyone interested in an Avengers lead by Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Spiderman though? Iron Man, Captain America and Thor aren't going to around for ever, maybe even leaving after Endgame, and that lineup just doesn't have the same appeal to me that they do.

Did you think that after Cap 1, Iron Man and first Thor though? I think your opinion is skewed as you’ve had so many films to get to that point.

A soft reboot with the young avengers carrying on the universe is likely still going to be great.

Caporegime
Actually I couldn't get into Spiderman: Homecoming at all. The only MCU film I gave up on and turned off. It was just a bit naff having Spiderman be Iron Man lite. Oh look, another guy in a high tech suit that talks to him.

Maybe it improved but I was so bored I turned it off :(

You must have turned it off fairly early as Iron-man takes the stark suit back from Spider-man halfway through the movie after the Staten Island ferry incident.

Back
Top Bottom