Today my 7 year old daughter got told off at school for...

Man of Honour
Same here. Back in my school days (1970's and 1980's) British Bulldog was a full contact sport. It was great. [..]

British Bulldog was banned at my school, but only after a couple of broken arms.

I think somewhere more in the middle would be a better route. The current system is insane and dangerous, but the system in my youth wan't perfect.

Soldato
Firing folded over paperclips from elastic bands was our thing. Bloody lethal things those were. :D
I discovered that those sewing pins stuck through a bit of a paper straw wrapper for fletching made excellent darts. Acupuncture from across the room! The more common tightly folded bit of paper being banded across the class was always a favorite, as was stabbing your neighbour in the thigh with a fountain pen. I still have a mark on my hand from a pencil being jammed into it in revenge. All in the name of fun, of course.

I was not a fan of pile ons though. They used to get pretty extreme like a scene from world war z with people climbing up the pile. We worked out that it was the weight of a sedan on one wee lad once.

So yeah, I turned out fine, and am able to interact quite normally with the public, despite all that toxic masculinity and clapping.

Soldato
If it makes you feel better I got sent home from work today for wearing white shoes got told to go home and change them to black ones then go back.

I never signed anything to do with dress code. I just did I was told couldn’t be bothered to argue.

Do you have a handbook it's covered in? Your contract might then reference the handbook.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
British bulldog, the king of playground games, all played on Concrete/Tarmac, where if you got a graze/cut you went and sorted it out yourself in the toilets with some of that tracing paper loo roll. Amazing how good your first aid skills were when you was 7.

Man of Honour
If it makes you feel better I got sent home from work today for wearing white shoes got told to go home and change them to black ones then go back.

I never signed anything to do with dress code. I just did I was told couldn’t be bothered to argue.

Surely you wouldn’t need a dress code to let you know that wearing white shoes was a no-no, (unless you were going to play tennis), just seeing people pointing, and collapsing with laughter should have been a good indication :D.

I'd forgotten about kiss chase :D

Didn’t that morph into Postman’s Knock at parties, when we were around 11 or 12?

Soldato
British bulldog, the king of playground games, all played on Concrete/Tarmac, where if you got a graze/cut you went and sorted it out yourself in the toilets with some of that tracing paper loo roll. Amazing how good your first aid skills were when you was 7.

Back in the day at boarding school (Remember, 1960's. No carpets, limited heating and threadbare ex-US Army hospital bedding left over from WW2 etc) becoming quite adept at flicking splinters out of my (And other peoples) feet using the corner of a razor blade!

And the millenmials think the baby boomers had life easy!

:p

Soldato
Firing folded over paperclips from elastic bands was our thing. Bloody lethal things those were. :D

When I was at school we would use those candy necklaces (little doughnut shaped bits of hard candy threaded onto a piece of elastic)... bite down on one to break it in half whilst pulling the elastic away from your face and you could then release it to shoot the other half off... not particularly damaging compared to some contraptions mentioned here

What a walk down memory lane though! As another person at school in the 90s and early 00s I remember bulldog, slaps/knuckles, bundles, pogs, yo-yos... one weird thing at my Primary school was that we were permitted to play football at lunch/break time but only with tennis balls (I think because they are much harder to chip into the air)

It is a worry what goes on at schools these days, although in some ways it's not that different... My parents often recount a story that not long after I first went to school I came home one day and said "Have you guys heard of Jesus?" - my school simply taught religious stuff as if it was fact alongside everything else and kids are pretty impressionable... But my parents are completely non religious and although I don't think they did anything specific to correct me I also ended up not being religious either

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Rugby in the snow, everyone smelling of Vicks vapour rub, then the PE teacher making everyone roll around in the snow as soon as you got out :) I remember one guy breaking his arm and they made him shower and go to maths while the ambulance turned up :)

Permabanned
We used to have a high voltage generator in the physics lab and we used to have bets who could keep hold of the electrode handles up to the highest voltage. Mr (Aga) Khan, the physics master, caught me and some mates in there which was out of bounds with no teacher present, with a pile of coins and a pocket full of fags. Rather than detention he wound the bloody thing up full and made me hold the handles. I think I jumped three feet in the air. He'd probably be struck off these days.

We also used to tie ropes to people's wrists and see how many people were needed pulling each rope before they cried enough. Once enough didn't bring any end, and someone had to go to hospital with muscle injuries or a dislocated shoulder or something. I recall some teachers were horrified, others thought it hilarious. It was the start of an era change where we now don't have losers, only "participants".

Caporegime

We did this, but as well as firing them at each other we fired them at the foam ceiling tiles to see if we could get them wedged in there.

My sons school has banned dabbing and flossing, lol.

When I was at school we would use those candy necklaces (little doughnut shaped bits of hard candy threaded onto a piece of elastic)... bite down on one to break it in half whilst pulling the elastic away from your face and you could then release it to shoot the other half off... not particularly damaging compared to some contraptions mentioned here

LOL! Did this as well, the local newsagent must have done a roaring trade in those things, last year my lads had some from the local sweet shop and I showed them this technique, went down a treat with them. :D

Permabanned
It was white shoes, do they really need a handbook for a breach of that magnitude?

They are shoes and I work in a call centre. My feet at all times are under a desk when not in the business. When I say white I mean light shoes not pure white. They are just shoes. Crying over spilt milk comes to mind. I did go home though and followed the orders of the gods.

Back
Top Bottom