Minecraft

Soldato
I use to mod Minecraft tons years ago.

I got a free copy of the Windows 10 version as a result of owning the original Java one at the time. Have to say the Windows 10 one runs far, far better on PCs but it lacks a lot of unofficial modding etc. That being said there are now tons of PAID for and some free content on the Windows 10 one. I'd still suggest going W10, it's just less hassle from a parent perspective, my daughter has played both and not having to run custom servers for her is far better..

Think you need to buy it on each platform, honestly not sure but pretty sure the content you buy is linked to the account after that. It's purely the game you need to re-buy as you would with any other on different gaming platforms.

Soldato
Avoid Windows 10 version for kids.

It bombards kids with "Hey, here is something shiny that costs money" at every opportunity.

Edit:

I just opened it and this came up which proves my point:

fWZKUQf.png

A simple "patch info" screen includes an "unlock" button which takes you to the store to "BUY" it.

Disgusting business practice and like Fortnite, is a psychological mind **** for kids.

Soldato
But you need JAVA which is basically the devil's spawn.

I'm not saying it's better or worse, sounds like his kids will have been bombarded for a while on other platforms so I doubt it matters. Also what happens to parents saying no? I don't let my daughter ask for DLC constantly on any game - not that she'd ask.

All depends on whether he wants to have to keep JAVA updated, muck about with mods etc. I was for the first couple of years, got bored of it since all she wanted to do was play random themed maps anyway though.

Soldato
In my experience my boy ignores dlc. Even if he was tempted, he has no way of buying anything as I have the accounts properly set up on the pc and his Xbox so it's really not an issue.
The windows 10 version runs better, has cross play with consoles and mobile platforms and by large it just works. No worrying about updates breaking mods, online being unavailable because you aren't updating your client because you don't want to break the mods, no worrying about mods corrupting world's.. it's just easier period.

Soldato
It is not about "ignoring" the DLC.

It is becoming known that children are being affected by the DLC bombardment and psychologically, they cannot handle it/process it the same way we do.

Sure, some children maybe can handle it but the way such games are created, it can be easy for a child to think "Oh, I do not have that" and it becomes a negative for them.

Putting an advert for DLC into some patch notes, as soon as the kid boots the game, that is just **** and there are no "Parental controls" to stop that which there should be.

Not saying this applies to anyone in this thread but is something worth considering in this day and age.

Soldato
Of course it's worth considering but I can honestly say that my daughter isn't affected by DLC spam. She seems them the same way I see adverts on websites - just unwanted nonsense. That's my experience watching her play games for years, she's been playing Minecraft since she was 3, now 8 and has only ever asked for one specific item and that was as a result of her friend having it, not an advert.

Don't get me wrong I've probably spent about £15 on DLC for it over the years but that's been my choice, not her pester power and thus not her being affected by ads.

Associate
I believe - but not 100% sure - the windows 10 version works with the Apple version allowing multiplayer if that's a pro for you.

Soldato
My son, nearly-9, has been using the Win10 version for just over a year, after using PE on tablet for a year prior.

We went for that one a it's controller compatible, and it's a living room PC so works easier. Haven't had any problems with DLC - don't recall him ever pestering for any of it.

It's ******* up when I log him into his account, though. keeps freezing. Need to investigate. works fine when not logged in, though.

Associate
At the moment I have the Java version but my sons friends play on the Xbox.
If I buy the Win10 version can he play on the same server as his mates that are playing on Xbox?
I have just installed the trial version but it will not let you add friends so can not try it out first.
Today I have set him up with a MS account and a Xbox account his friend is showing on the Xbox account, but my son does not use the Xbox.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom