Veganuary?

Soldato
I think the the country would benefit going back to some ration system for a while like in the war.

You go to the supermarket and half the packaged up food they sell just isn't necessary.

Associate
I’ve been eating a plant based diet for a year now due to health reasons and my wife has just done veganuary as a show of support for my plant eating way. It’s surprised her how much she enjoyed the food that we cooked together, and how much she liked the plant based alternatives. I did have to point her towards some healthier choices as the amount of vegan junk food out their with added stuff like oils is crazy. Even one of the oat milks that you can buy it’s third ingredient is rape seed oil. I do struggle how some people can think this is healthy.

Caporegime
I've just read this whole thread and won't be changing my meat-eating habits unfortunately.

I have however concluded that vegans should look carefully at the types of vegetables they consume, and only choose those with the lowest possible environmental and greenhouse gas burden.

If at any point they eat cucumbers with a CO2 cost of £7 per tonne, then they should be ashamed really as they could have chosen marrows with a cost of only £5 per tonne.

Also no salt or pepper please vegans, as the carbon cost of production is pretty high for those. Also don't fly anywhere. Or drive. You can cycle or walk instead please. Thank you.

I think the the country would benefit going back to some ration system for a while like in the war.

You might get your way on the 29th of March :p.

Soldato
I've just read this whole thread and won't be changing my meat-eating habits unfortunately.

I have however concluded that vegans should look carefully at the types of vegetables they consume, and only choose those with the lowest possible environmental and greenhouse gas burden.

If at any point they eat cucumbers with a CO2 cost of £7 per tonne, then they should be ashamed really as they could have chosen marrows with a cost of only £5 per tonne.

Also no salt or pepper please vegans, as the carbon cost of production is pretty high for those. Also don't fly anywhere. Or drive. You can cycle or walk instead please. Thank you.

You might get your way on the 29th of March :p.

You've read the whole thread and yet understood nothing in it.

Yes everything we do has a cost to the environment. Even the most die hard green vegan crusader would accept that.

The point is that at the moment we consume far far more than is sustainable for the planet. If everyone just ate and consumed less it would help to avoid us killing the planet completely. Which of those things you reduce does matter, eg eating less steak will be more beneficial than eating less apples.

But no one is saying don't do anything ever. They are simply saying do some things less thank you do currently and everyone will be better off.

Soldato
The point is that at the moment we consume far far more than is sustainable for the planet. If everyone just ate and consumed less it would help to avoid us killing the planet completely.
I think you are far overestimating the relevance of the human race on this planets history and future. We are a mere blip in the Earth's long life. We can't kill the planet, even if we somehow made it uninhabitable for ourselves. Get some perspective on just how irrelevant we are in the grand scheme of things and enjoy life.

Soldato
Indeed the earth was here for billions of years before us, and will continue to be here for billions of years after us.

Give us Star Trek style replicators and we'll have all the food we could possibly need, until then cultivation of anything will have a negative impact on the environment regardless of what it is.

Associate
I've been 'flexitarian' for the past year or so, it's gone well. I think I would struggle to go full vegan as I find that I still rely on a lot of dairy products.

The only meat I will eat now is chicken, once every week or two. I've cut out red meat, and I don't eat fish.

I think really this will be the future in mind of the damage that is being done to the planet, unless there will be an environmentally friendly and economical way of producing lab grown meat.

Soldato
Eugh, dry January? Veganuary? it's no wonder so many people get depressed and commit suicide at this time of year!!

lets face it meat eaters are a dying breed ,just like the animals they eat ,,it will have a stigma like smoking soon ,then in decades to come they will be gnawing on bones in a corner somewhere

I predict this coinciding with a sharp rise in cases of cannibalism

Caporegime
You've read the whole thread and yet understood nothing in it.

Yes everything we do has a cost to the environment. Even the most die hard green vegan crusader would accept that.

The point is that at the moment we consume far far more than is sustainable for the planet. If everyone just ate and consumed less it would help to avoid us killing the planet completely. Which of those things you reduce does matter, eg eating less steak will be more beneficial than eating less apples.

But no one is saying don't do anything ever. They are simply saying do some things less thank you do currently and everyone will be better off.
Then perhaps you should think about what type of vegetables you consume more carefully.

Soldato
I simply don't like enough different kinds of foods to become whatever-arian. I dunno if I envy or loate people who just decide 'I'm only going to eat fish' or whatever. I'd imagine a pescetarian's house is stinking tho!

Back
Top Bottom