1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veganuary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PiKe, Jan 3, 2019.

1. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I bought a vegan Bolognese from M&S earlier. I'll have that for lunch on Monday.

It doesnt really help the environment though as it comes in plastic...

2. Lil old me

Mobster

Riiiight..... so because the human race will not last on this planet until the heat death of the universe, we shouldn't bother to even try to keep in inhabitable for us for as long as possible? We can obviously kill the planet for ourselves and surely that matters?

Actually I do. And even the "worst" vegetables are less energy intensive than growing meat.

3. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

One of the problem with all these meat alternatives cost as much if not more than meat. Like those impossible burger, it cost more than the real thing.

4. Yadda

Wise Guy

I know what you mean. Have you tried red lentils? I'm not a veggie/vegan but I don't eat meat every day. Chucking some red lentils into a veg stew or curry really makes a difference. I was surprised how satisfied I was when I first tried them.

5. robfosters

Caporegime

Never tried them. I’m sadly a bit ignorant around things like that. I’ve always associated lentils and chickpeas with a kind of snobbish vegetarianism. I should maybe expand my horizons more. Are lentils very healthy?

6. Yadda

Wise Guy

I used to think the same. :)

Yes, they're very healthy, cheap and really easy to use. Just rinse in a sieve under colder water and boil in water for under 10 mins (this is for red (split) lentils, "whole" lentils take longer). They thicken a stew up really well and are protein rich (which is why they are so satisfying).

7. robfosters

Caporegime

If I made a curry with them, could I just use them as a substitute for the meat?

8. spoffle

Capodecina

That's not even remotely ironic.

9. Yadda

Wise Guy

Yes, absolutely. That's what I often do: nice, wet vegetable curry. Chuck them in with 10 mins to go.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

What no salt or pepper??

11. wilber

Wise Guy

I really can't bring myself to read the full 9 pages of this thread. I read a couple of page's and it's the same old rubbish published time and time again.

Whilst there may be a grain of truth in some of what has been written the whole picture is wilfully obscured by those who wish to put an end to animal agriculture and those ignorant enough to swallow it up.

Everyone has the choice to what they want to eat, and i have no problems with vegans/vegetarians etc etc but it's the propaganda side of veganuary i really dislike and on time's i feel as though the attack on animal agriculture in this country is counter productive to animal welfare.

Consumer's would be doing far more for the environment by buying seasonally and also local.

12. Orionaut

Soldato

Just when you didn't think things could get any sillier....

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/vegan-energy-supply.

Oh Lordy..:rolleyes:

I guess Vegans dont drive or travel on public transport or heat their homes in the winter (ETC, ETC) either on the grounds that Oil and Gas are the decayed remains of marine organisms

Eventually there will be an outbreak of Sanity and all the loonys will be put back in the asylums!

13. Monkeynut

Soldato

I wonder if wooden pellets from the Amazon rainforest are burned in Ecotricity's supply chain? I mean, at least it's vegan right?

14. Orionaut

Soldato

Drax imports wood pellets from Canada. and plans to be wholly biomass by 2025.

Its insane really! I cannot believe that stripping millions of tons of wood from around the globe, processing it, and shipping it to Drax is better for the global environment than simply digging up the coal that Drax is actually built over and burning that (Selby coalfield, now closed)

15. Monkeynut

Soldato

Thing is that carbon capture already exists and we already have plenty of empty oil fields to send the CO2 down into.

16. wilber

Wise Guy

Another case of jumping on the band wagon for profit, this is also "verified" by the vegan society. :rolleyes:

For those that dont know/understand, basically ecotricity "vegan" electric excludes power coming from anaerobic digesters where cow manure is turned into electricity and fed into the grid.

But hang on, that is not how power distribution works at all. I could be signed up to this yet the power i am using is coming from local AD plants...

17. OLDPHART

Soldato

Steak me in.

18. D.P.

Caporegime

the simple solution is simply not to bother with meat alternatives but cook actual vegetarian food

19. VincentHanna

Capodecina

The impossible burger tastes like a burger though, hence the name (I had one in San Diego zoo)

20. Orionaut

Soldato

That reminds me of this...

Perhaps on a more serious note..

See http://www.themeatrix.com/

Mixed farming doesn't have to involve cruelty and suffering.

And actually, without Animals as part of the farming ecosystem, continuous arable animal free farming would eventually exhaust the soil of nutrients (There are also large areas that would become unavailable for food production altogether. There isn't really any possibility of having the Vegietopia wheat prairies of North Wales or the Scottish highlands is there?)