Associate
Hopefully get some more entertaining driving in my Golf GTI. Between work trips and London driving (20mph zone fun) I feel I haven't had a real chance to enjoy it yet.

Man of Honour
Can't make my mind up on replacing the R8. I am in a place where I can buy something like a 570S, AMG GT-R, 991 GT3 (720 and Performante still more than I am wiling to spend) but for some reason I can't motivate myself to do it. Friends are telling me to give it another year, see where the market is at because frankly I am pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve on the R8 and it's still a great car, which it is.

So been thinking about spending some money on the R8. Paint, trim fixes and one of these...

https://quicksilverexhausts.store/c...itan-rear-section-2012-13?variant=16556086791

£3600 fitted, with the active valve option (so it does not give me ear aids). I am going to the 720 Spider launch in March so will be 'exposed' to the McLaren stuff all over again and suspect I will, finally push the button on a 570S or even 720 if pants are dropped like I am hearing.

£110K was the highest bid last week on a fair 720 at auction...not sure if it was sold at that and I know of 570's around 90K now.

OcUK Staff
OP
Can't make my mind up on replacing the R8. I am in a place where I can buy something like a 570S, AMG GT-R, 991 GT3 (720 and Performante still more than I am wiling to spend) but for some reason I can't motivate myself to do it. Friends are telling me to give it another year, see where the market is at because frankly I am pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve on the R8 and it's still a great car, which it is.

So been thinking about spending some money on the R8. Paint, trim fixes and one of these...

https://quicksilverexhausts.store/c...itan-rear-section-2012-13?variant=16556086791

£3600 fitted, with the active valve option (so it does not give me ear aids). I am going to the 720 Spider launch in March so will be 'exposed' to the McLaren stuff all over again and suspect I will, finally push the button on a 570S or even 720 if pants are dropped like I am hearing.

£110K was the highest bid last week on a fair 720 at auction...not sure if it was sold at that and I know of 570's around 90K now.

Yes you've lost on the R8, I've lost on the SVR, that is the nature of these cars, you spend big, expect to lose more.
But on the flip side what you looking at has also come down.

A year ago your R8 would have fetched what 70k, but a 570S was 120k, now your R8 will bring 55-60k, but you will get into a 570S for under 100k, so if you put man maths into full effect your actually 5-10k better off. ;)

Your thinking of modding the R8 because you want some fresh excitement and though mods can indeed help, particular more noise when you want it, nothing compared to a totally different car to adjust your senses too.
Find a few nice 570S, plenty for sale and drop in some bids of 90-100k depending on spec, see if any bite.

I am gonna sell the SVR and sit on the cash for a month or two if I can hold out to see what the market or brings or to see if a real nice car comes along.

Off to Ferrari Saturday to test drive a 458. :)

I've also got rent sorted on both a 458 for 24hr with 200 miles and a 570S for 24hr with 200 miles, got the pair for £1100 which was a bargain, shame they don't have a Huracan, have found a Huracan but its £800 for just 24hr and 100 miles, bit rich that for just a day and I'll easily exceed the mileage in just collecting the car and driving it home but really want to spend 24hr with all three on road really. Other options is maybe hire an R8 V10 Plus gen2 for 24 or even 48hr as it cost far less than Huracan to do so.

Yep crazy in a way dropping 2k on renting cars but even crazier to drop 150k and not be happy. I still might go Performante if I could get into the colour I want for 180k

Soldato
the Jazz looks really good, but he's still messing around with the tracking and ride height so i cant collect it until monday. It'll then need the body work sorting out and respraying, so about another 1k, it's amazing how different it looks, it looks nothing like it did before.

Soldato
i got her back today but she's too low, she's rubbing on the arches so they're raising her 1/2 an inch and i'll get her back tomorrow, she handles far better, it's like another car and she corners very well too, no body roll, the suspension feels fine about he same as before but much more planted.

update :- she's ok now with it raised 1/2 an inch, she still occasionally rubs but that's what it's like in the New Forest if you hack it anyway; it's hilly, but it handles like a dream, windows tinted yesterday and respray in two weeks...she's roughly about three to four inches lower, hard to tell

coilovers are fine no knocking at all, but i've no idea if this will last, fingers crossed, I'm going to upgrade her more as well

Last edited:
Caporegime
Really want to find a Suzuki Jimny SZ5 without having to wait 18 months...obsessing about them currently...

They look cool and have great offroad ability for the sector but that's about it, they seem to be very unrefined and not great to drive on an actual road...

Not something i'd pay a premium for let alone join a waiting list!

Soldato
Really want to find a Suzuki Jimny SZ5 without having to wait 18 months...obsessing about them currently...

If you're buying it simply because you like the looks, that's fine.

If you want something with a modicum of off-road capability and decent on-road manners (or you just want more traction on good roads, which the Jimny doesn't offer), then there are significantly better and more affordable options out there. Ignis or Panda 4x4, for example. :)

Soldato
They look cool and have great offroad ability for the sector but that's about it, they seem to be very unrefined and not great to drive on an actual road...

Not something i'd pay a premium for let alone join a waiting list!

It reminds me of driving a Defender and feels like a polar opposite of my Fiesta. It won't replace the Fiesta. I like the styling and tech that it offers and around Cornwall it's a riot to drive one.

If you're buying it simply because you like the looks, that's fine.

If you want something with a modicum of off-road capability and decent on-road manners (or you just want more traction on good roads, which the Jimny doesn't offer), then there are significantly better and more affordable options out there. Ignis or Panda 4x4, for example. :)

Partly to do with its looks but it's so different to my Fiesta. It tackles Cornish roads without a problem and it's refreshing to not wince at every bump in the road. I do like the Ignis but it doesn't fill me with the same joy as the little Jimny does. I've taken one out twice now and it 's just hilarious every time. I like the unrefined engine tone. I like the interior. It reminds me of a Defender without the price tag and more tech.

It's most likely a fleeting fancy but I do find them enjoyable.

Soldato
Update -

Recently started speaking with a dealer who is on the lookout for Mini GPs. They seem interested in mine. Problem is, I've started to question whether I really want to sell it. I've just put so much time an money into the thing that 50% of me wants to keep it. Whereas the other 50 wants to sell and move on. I really dont know what I'm going to do now.

Back
Top Bottom