Taxing a used car

Soldato
Excuse my ignorance but I haven't owned a car for a while, so when buying a used car you need a 16 digit number, so you get this from the current owner or do you have to apply to DVLA, or how does it work?

Man of Honour
Aslong as you have the number off the new keeper slip you can quickly do it online or over the phone - most dealers will also happily do it for you (usually at your expense but some might include it in a deal) when collecting the vehicle (obviously not applicable to private sales).

Unfortunately there is no grace period as such so you have to do it before driving it away - something they need to look at more flexible options for IMO.

Soldato
Do it online, but tax it before you send off the new keepers form, since once they receive it, and issue a new one, you have to wait to receive that before being able to tax it, hence voiding any insurance you have, and making the car undriveable :)

Man of Honour
AFAIK, The tax now never transfers. It's always cancelled (the previous owner gets a refund, in this case it would be the dealer) then restarts with the new owner.

If it is included in the deal they will do it for you in your name before you drive the vehicle away and/or before it is dropped off.

Do it online, but tax it before you send off the new keepers form, since once they receive it, and issue a new one, you have to wait to receive that before being able to tax it, hence voiding any insurance you have, and making the car undriveable :)

You normally tear off the new keeper bit (V5C/2) and send the rest off to the DVLA who will then send a new V5C to the new keeper - the V5C/2 has the information on to tax it as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The v5c/2 has an 11 digit number you can use online. I'm a bit concerned about what mrrockliffe said as I think the the new keepers form has been sent off a few days ago by the previous owner. I haven't picked the car up yet etc although have paid for it.

Soldato
Just since we're on the subject of taxing cars.

With the new rules in place. I know there's the premium for cars over £40k for the first 5 years. Does this just apply to the first owner or is it passed down the chain?

I know it's a fairly insignificant amount of money when spending that kind of cash but i was curious when looking recently.

Associate
If it is included in the deal they will do it for you in your name before you drive the vehicle away and/or before it is dropped off.
Yeah absolutely, that's what im saying though. It will always be taxed to the registered keeper, not the car.
If you walk (or.... drive) away from a dealer you should always have 6, or 12 months or a monthly debit for the tax, depending on what you choose/they throw in. You would never walk away with, for example, 4 months from the previous owner as they get a refund and you start the clock again.

Soldato

With the new rules in place. I know there's the premium for cars over £40k for the first 5 years. Does this just apply to the first owner or is it passed down the chain?

I know it's a fairly insignificant amount of money when spending that kind of cash but i was curious when looking recently.
New owner only, on first registration :)

If you get an ex-demo for example, you don't pay a penny (other than the 12 months tax)

Associate
I bought a car and the dealer taxed it at the Post Office and it seemed to work and stay which surprised me even after a change or RK.
It has to be taxed with your name and address. They can do it for you, but it shouldn't "carry over", If I were you I would double check all the paperwork is correct.

Soldato
It has to be taxed with your name and address. They can do it for you, but it shouldn't "carry over", If I were you I would double check all the paperwork is correct.
It was fine, I don't have the car anymore or the receipt. I checked the online checker for a good fortnight after as I was sceptical.

Lovely, i thought i'd read that but wasn't sure. Have been inspired by the Mustangs recently posted and the 2018 models are appealing as the tax ends up at £140 as opposed to £550 for cars on the old system! :D

Yeah, it isn't too bad :D

Man of Honour
There's also no need to send paperwork away anymore you can transfer the V5 in about 2 minutes online, so no chance of anything being lost by RM or DVLA.

Commissario

New owner only, on first registration :)

If you get an ex-demo for example, you don't pay a penny (other than the 12 months tax)

Not sure you're right there @Hyburnate, it's an extra £310 per year for year's 2 to 6 regardless of who the owner is (first, second etc) for cars registered from 1st April 2017.

Back
Top Bottom