Internet in the UK - getting worse (relative to EU + world)

Associate
There's also Bahnhof in Sweden, offering their 10Gbps FTTH service for £25 a month. It's not just about raw download speed, it's the low latency and almost non-existent jitter which opens up a lot of possibilities absent in the average 'good enough' British *DSL connection. If it wasn't for my family I'd move to Sweden, Iceland, Switzerland or similar in a heartbeat.

Bahnhof is also very good in the way that they will never give out your ip-number or what you do online to the government/police unless they can provide details that you are suspected for serious crimes online. All within the guidelines to delete your data asap basically.

Man of Honour
I reckon 20mb enough for most tbh

Maybe for single user - not so much if you have multiple users with Windows 10 machines in the mix and atleast two people who like to stream Netflix, etc. a lot - unfortunately I'd struggle with less than 50Mbit these days though on my own probably around 30Mbit upwards would be OK.

Not in a rush for crazy speeds though I can't see my personally needs increasing much above that for awhile - I'm reasonably happy to wait a bit longer for downloads.

Man of Honour
Just thought I'd drop this here @FoxEye

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...onstellation-to-deliver-global-communications

Obviously dedicated fibre is going to offer better performance but - given our economic position - who's going to pay for it? Most of the economic benefit is gained by services that are available by having a reliable speed of ~10mbps+. I completely agree that government spending isn't always directed perfectly, HS2 being a pretty good example, but as said by many in here, big infrastructure projects can be adversely influenced by politics.

Permabanned
Ask yourself the same question in the late 90s but subtract gigabit for 20Mb.

Things move on, you might not need gigabit this moment in time, but in 5-10 years when more and more of your white goods and home electronics are on IoT, streaming is 8k+ and multiple streams are concurrent...

Not everyone wants this though. I certainly don't need 8K. I won't ever need it I like the cinema miles better than sitting at home with 8K.

Soldato
It’s one of the things going for Hull.

BT never made it this far, so we have cream phone box’s and 900mb FTP. 2ms ping and solid speeds 100% with no throttling.

10-15 mins for a AAA game download...
Which part of hull are you, i live in beverley and i can't justify more than a measly 200mb:D. Work has the 1 gig line up and down but its slower than mine due to the amount of people on it. My only criticism is price, i've never had any problems with the connection on the fibre, and my parents bought a new build and it doesnt even have copper, just fibre and VOIP.

Caporegime
Not everyone wants this though. I certainly don't need 8K. I won't ever need it I like the cinema miles better than sitting at home with 8K.

It doesn't matter if YOU need it or not, it's going to become a reality and infrastructure should be there to support it.

Could you enlighten us in the Home Cinema & Hi-Fi with your 8k experience as you've already declared the cinema to be miles better.

Caporegime
OP
1950s house here. FTTP courtesy of CityFibre.

6LsDW33.jpg.png

No longer need my old phone line. £48/month.
That would have been impressive earlier on in the thread.

But I've since learned that nobody needs more than 10 Mb. Or 20 if you use a lot of BBS. But 10 is fine for most as it's good enough for TeleText.

Soldato
That would have been impressive earlier on in the thread.

But I've since learned that nobody needs more than 10 Mb. Or 20 if you use a lot of BBS. But 10 is fine for most as it's good enough for TeleText.

I watch a lot of YouTube in 4K, 10Mb is not going to cut it at all. I just about managed to watch content without having to wait for it to buffer on BT 78mb fibre.

Associate
Even 20Mbs wont cut it with me i am afraid, 4k will saturate that pretty quickly and would likely need buffering.
What if windows fancies doing an update while i am watching netflix, or game updates ect.. all require gobs of bandwidth.

I get 40-44 Mbs which is not great but its the max where i live with fttc and fttp is not a goer due to massive cost.
Would much rather have twice that at least.

Caporegime
OP
I watch a lot of YouTube in 4K, 10Mb is not going to cut it at all. I just about managed to watch content without having to wait for it to buffer on BT 78mb fibre.
Nah you just have to click the button which says "Perfect 4k over 10Mb connection". Then it all just works.

We all know nobody needs more than 10Mb. I think Ed Milliband chiselled that on a stone tablet somewhere.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Even 20Mbs wont cut it with me i am afraid, 4k will saturate that pretty quickly and would likely need buffering.
What if windows fancies doing an update while i am watching netflix, or game updates ect.. all require gobs of bandwidth.

I get 40-44 Mbs which is not great but its the max where i live with fttc and fttp is not a goer due to massive cost.
Would much rather have twice that at least.
Where do you live? I'm in a similar situation and can't see speeds changing in the next 10 years.

Man of Honour
Nah you just have to click the button which says "Perfect 4k over 10Mb connection". Then it all just works.

We all know nobody needs more than 10Mb. I think Ed Milliband chiselled that on a stone tablet somewhere.

I have a mate who works for Utility Warehouse and he tries his best to save money on cutomers Utilities.
One of his ideas is to get people off Virgin with their huge download speeds and onto fibre because "You don't need that speed".
He has also talked people into getting rid of SKY/Virgin because he can get their TV for cheaper which is putting them on Freeview.
You won't believe how many people have switched and then have to switch back.

Soldato
Something else is very wrong there, you should be able to stream 4K content with around 20mbps. If, as in the example above, a Windows update downloads at the same time as watching you'll maybe drop down to 1080p or something, but it's not like that is a common occurrence and would you even notice?`

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom