Good Area in North London for £1300?

Soldato
I might be getting relocated to London for my job. I'm after a 1-2 bedroom flat for no more than £1300 a month. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I want to be in a an area where dressing very smart won't make me stand out. I'll be regularly visiting business clients.

Soldato
I'm in Enfield (Enfield Lock). It's about as far East as you can get in Enfield before getting into Essex.

It's a reasonably quiet area. Lower middle class I'd say. Not loads of shops, but close to the M25 and only 25 mins to Liverpool street on the train which is handy. Lots of green space and you can go walking or cycling for miles down/up the canal.

The main negative I'd say is that the line to Liverpool street doesn't run most weekends because of construction work which is really, really annoying.

As @NoobCannon says, Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt are alright.

Soldato
OP
It's an account management role. You work predominantly from home with a portfolio of clients travelling out to meet them as is required. I'll be dealing with a North London portfolio and home counties portfolio.

Soldato
OP
I've checked out both Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt, not much there on rightmove. In Enfield I've seen some nice looking apartments in EN1 and EN2 in close proximity to the the train station.

Also someone suggested Watford, however someone else told to avoid like the plague.

Soldato
I've checked out both Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt, not much there on rightmove. In Enfield I've seen some nice looking apartments in EN1 and EN2 in close proximity to the the train station.

Also someone suggested Watford, however someone else told to avoid like the plague.

Trouble is that enfield is a overpriced pooh hole. In my opinion you would be best off finding somewhere else unless you like gunshots and gang culture. I lived in cheshunt for 20 years and found it fine. Waltham cross is another potential to look at.

A bit further out is places like loughton/sewardstone/chingford

Associate
Enfield Town area is alright. Lived here since I was 3, though I'm over in Oakwood. Potters Bar/St Albans/Brookmans Park/Cuffley/Cheshunt are places I believe my sister has been looking at to buy, so can't be too bad - could be wrong though.

Trouble is that enfield is a overpriced pooh hole. In my opinion you would be best off finding somewhere else unless you like gunshots and gang culture. I lived in cheshunt for 20 years and found it fine. Waltham cross is another potential to look at.

A bit further out is places like loughton/sewardstone/chingford

Where isn't overpriced? IMO, don't head east past the A10 and you're fine, sorry fellow enfieldian who lives in the lock :p

Man of Honour
Chiswick to Liverpool Street is not an easy or quick journey, it would be an hour or more. Even fairly nearby Hammersmith which is on the H&C line to Liverpool Street is a 40 minute tube journey.

Chiswick to Liverpool Street can be done in under an hour if you're close to the SWR station, Chiswick > Waterloo > Bank > Liverpool Street, it's a horrible journey though.

OP essentially works from home though and Chiswick to central london is an easy commute.

Caporegime
£1300+ of your hard earned cash ****** up the wall every month, going towards a landlord's pension pot.

Makes me mad :mad:

I'm going to stick with my £270/month mortgage on my 1-bed which I have locked down (fixed rate) until 2026.

Stick to making love to your hand too if you think £1300 a month is a lot of money.

Also why the hate on landlords? Someone has to provide homes to rent and it's supply and demand.

Are you a communist?

Soldato
Stick to making love to your hand too if you think £1300 a month is a lot of money.

Also why the hate on landlords? Someone has to provide homes to rent and it's supply and demand.

Are you a communist?

£1300 pcm for rent or mortgage just lol, they guy just said he has a cheap mortgage like myself that sort of money is just bonkers.

Associate
Having spent my first 25 years living in Enfield (near Enfield lock) I can strongly advise do not move there. It used to be decent when I was a young kid, but it’s progressively got worse and worse. I’m desperate to convince my parents to move away from the area.

Waltham abbey is also pretty grim.

Cheshunt is half decent in parts but also grim in others. Cuffley is on the better side of cheshunt.

Back
Top Bottom