Good Area in North London for £1300?

Soldato
What do you guys do when you retire and have been renting for 20 years?
And this is the very real, very massive issue which no baby boomer politician seems to give a **** about. As someone who currently rents due to having my career in London it terrifies me. All hail the Brexit property market crash though, lol.

Soldato
And this is the very real, very massive issue which no baby boomer politician seems to give a **** about. As someone who currently rents due to having my career in London it terrifies me. All hail the Brexit property market crash though, lol.

Ah ha! I knew someone else would squeeze brexit into this thread somewhere. Beat you too it tho!

Soldato
Is it just a case of burying their head in the sand and not worrying about a place to live in their retirement? Or just plan on inheriting the family home?

isn't that the case for everyone who rents?

I think we're going to have a massive issue where everyone expects the state to pay their nursing home bills.....I mean the state pension won't cover the rent will it so they'll have to live somewhere.

Thing is, rent can be more expensnive than a mortgage!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato

I guess the benefit of living in London is increased wages, but if you're putting a big chunk of those wages into rent then you may as well deduct it from your salary, because people with Mortgages are putting that money into an appreciating asset even though they may earn less due to living outside of London.

Soldato
I guess the benefit of living in London is increased wages, but if you're putting a big chunk of those wages into rent then you may as well deduct it from your salary, because people with Mortgages are putting that money into an appreciating asset even though they may earn less due to living outside of London.
I'm under no illusion. There's lots of studies that show living anywhere outside of London/SE means you end up with more money in your pocket.

Soldato
tbf not much of london is going to be great!

I've lived in greenlanes for a few years and it was decent but that was in 2008ish and rent has gone up massively down there.

lived in tottenham, seven sisters and croydon.

all much of the muchness really, look at close to station, quiet road and thats it.

crime, drugs and typical london rubbish will always be around.

Caporegime
Yes I am against landlords. Well, all people who own more than 1 house. After university digs, everyone should get an equal shot at owning a house with a mortgage.

Why? They aren't forcing you to rent their property. They aren't stopping anyone from doing the same thing either? Neither are they stopping anyone from buying a house.

Houses come up for sale all the time. Are you against companies who buy stuff for cheap to sell for a profit too? I take it you are against leasing cars and car manufacturers, etc?

Permabanned
Watford isn't that bad, good transport links, prices reasonable. 1300 will get you a nice terrace house with garden. Direct line to LS, 20 mins or so and bang on the M25. Chilterns to the N.W if you like a bit of countryside for biking or walking.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Why? They aren't forcing you to rent their property. They aren't stopping anyone from doing the same thing either? Neither are they stopping anyone from buying a house.

Houses come up for sale all the time. Are you against companies who buy stuff for cheap to sell for a profit too? I take it you are against leasing cars and car manufacturers, etc?

Yes and they get bought up by landlords who rent a room out at a time to chap and his GF from Bulgaria... Its ok though its clearly not an issue and only has a posative effect on society in general as the landlord is paying more tax and that is the only metric its measured by. (Oh did i really open that can of worms)

As for the car analogy you do not need a car, its a nice to have nothing more. You need a home though or a cave, maybe a tent. Yes thats the answer tents London tent village. It wont be long till its like LA anyway :)

Joking aside no one forces people to work in London but i see the attraction at least if you are in a very well paid job of a min 6 figures. How a nurse gets by is beyond me.

Watford isn't that bad, good transport links, prices reasonable. 1300 will get you a nice terrace house with garden. Direct line to LS, 20 mins or so and bang on the M25. Chilterns to the N.W if you like a bit of countryside for biking or walking.

From watford to central london is 17 miles, you have the m1 which takes you straight to north london, or can go the a41.

Watford, radlett, borehamwood, bushey, all have train links to london.

For £1300 a month you can more than likey get a 3 bed house for that.

Soldato
I've been in Archway near Upper Holloway for the last month in an AirBNB you could probably get a place for £1300 a month here, I mean it's a ghetto and a hellhole but I haven't been stabbed yet.

Just around the corner from me. Highgate is much nicer though, despite being just short walk up the hill :p

Probably forget renting a 2 bed flat here for £1300/m though. 1 bed studio is possible

Soldato
South Woodford or Woodford if you don’t mind crossing the Essex border. Both have Central Line stations and bars/restaurants where it’s very unlikely for you to get stabbed.

More of a village/small town vibe and pretty quiet by London standards.

Back
Top Bottom