Funeral goes badly

Soldato
Told the Mrs I would attend her father's funeral in support of her and that I wouldn't be attending the wake. I then decided I would attend the wake just for a short duration. On attending it became quite obvious to me that the Mrs side of the family had no real interest in communicating with me and so I decide xxxx this for a game of soldiers and walked out. I previously had to attend my mother's funeral month ago so I wasn't in the mood for another finding this just as hard . The Mrs, however is non appreciative of me walking out preferring instead to make excuses about her families ambivalence towards me. She blames me. Did I do the right thing in leaving or should I have stayed-or rather, what would you have done

Man of Honour
Why did you feel the need to leave? You sound quite selfish - this funeral wasn't "your" event, you were there to support your partner, which you didn't do by walking out.

Soldato
What's the history between you and the family?

If you just weren't up for it, then it's your bad - should have sucked it up and supported your other half. If there's bad blood, then maybe the picture changes

Soldato
Unless there is a huge part of this story you aren't telling us then Id say you have royally screwed up by not supporting your partner when she has lost a parent.

Permabanned
Some of the very best punch ups I have been witness or party to have been at funerals, you aren't a scrapper then? ;)

If things go sour at weddings or wakes it's often safest to exit stage left (with a full bottle of whiskey if you feel that aggrieved).

Soldato
Some people have no respect for tradition. Everyone knows that the correct response is to get roaring drunk at the wake and throw an ill judged punch before being forcibly removed from the premises.

Caporegime
Some of the very best punch ups I have been witness or party to have been at funerals, you aren't a scrapper then? ;)

If things go sour at weddings or wakes it's often safest to exit stage left (with a full bottle of whiskey if you feel that aggrieved).

You're such a classy broad, never change :D

Caporegime
Some people have no respect for tradition. Everyone knows that the correct response is to get roaring drunk at the wake and throw an ill judged punch before being forcibly removed from the premises.
I had a punch up at my grandads funeral. High emotions and lots of alcohol do not mix well at all and people just do things totally out of character.

We was all laughing about it the next day though.

Soldato
OP
I didn't walk out the funeral at the Church. It is the reception held after. Her own family left her alone and isolated in the church and I held and supported her for that. I really can't handle funerals since my mother's some four weeks ago.
I just run away from them. I'll admit to my shame.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP appears to have left the thread. Maybe not the answers he had hoped for. Lol

Edit: drat he returned, has somewhat less punch now.

Soldato
Should have stayed and sat quietly in the corner with whatever choice of drink. Going to be very difficult to make this up with your Mrs and tbh if you're not being accepted by her family might be worth calling it off for her sake.

Back
Top Bottom