• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD lost the GPU war?

Soldato
Poor Gregster, he must be 50 if he's a day and he still hasn't grown out of GPU wars. Anyone on this board could have read the title of the thread and gussed the author of it.

How very sad...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
NVIDIA still have to contend with consoles. They can't go mad with the pricing.

They were doing well last year then slipped the bag on the mining fiasco they tricked people with. Then raytracing turned out to be a flop so my view is they have gone back a step, hell bent on milking the market with **60 cards wasting time. Not bulletproof but brown stuff dont stick to teflon so they say.

Permabanned
There's no reason why it isn't possible the roles will get reversed at some point, From what I've read this isn't the first time someone's had a commanding lead just to lose it.

I think most sensible people will agree with this.

That being said, it's hard to see how AMD will ever compete at the top end again, given the differences in budget.

Intel got lazy and complacent and allowed AMD to get back on and compete very well with Ryzen in the CPU market.

I don't see Nvidia making the same mistakes, which unfortunately leaves the consumer at their mercy.

And they have none.

& Nvidia got greedy.

That's one of the reasons I used to not go with Turing, If the Turing 2080ti had been priced reasonably as in where the 2080 is priced I would have bought it but they didn't and we can't blame AMD for asking what they are for the VII when it's performs close to the 2080 as the 2080 is clearly not a 1080ti level replacement card in spec.

Permabanned
Aren't Intel supposed to be joining the GPU race? Hopefully that will spice things up a bit for us right?

As said in the video it's unlikely Intel will come out of the gate with more than some mid tier choices, I would have been concerned about Intels driver support in the beginning but with Raj Koduri on board it might not be an issue as that was the one thing he did get right at RTG.

Permabanned
All that's happened is Nvidia got it's new cards out before AMD. There's still plenty of offerings where AMD offer better value, ie

560=1050
570>1050ti
580 - a price range of it's own
590<1660
Vega 56>1660ti or 2060
Vega 64 best sub £400

So one price tier where Nvidia is actually offering better value right now and AMD haven't got their cards out.

560>1050 https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/ind...compare=radeon-rx-560-2gb-vs-geforce-gtx-1050
570>1050 Ti (>50%!) https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1660_Twin_Fan/28.html
580~~1060
590=1660
Vega 56>1660 Ti
Vega 64>2060
VII~~1080Ti

2080 and 2080Ti (are 9.4% faster than VII and 39% faster than VII).

Soldato
Hmm, the last time I saw this level of intense fear mongering before AMD's new arch release is when AMD released very good gpus.

Edit:
I recall last time is when AMD was going to be bought out...I believe...or something to that effect.

Soldato
I openly admit to being a huge AMD fanboi. I'm definitely getting a Ryzen 3000 series CPU + Navi GPU and I'll keep upgrading it with new AMD products.

However, if the impossible happens and AMD gain a 75% market share, alarm bells will start going off in my head and I'd probably switch to Intel/Nvidia to avoid a monopoly with rising prices and stagnent technology.

Unfortunately Nvidia's market share has now risen to 81.2%. Why aren't people thinking about future repercussions of rising prices? I guess people who bought an expensive GPU were happy with the price so they dont care if the next gen is even more expensive?

Associate
Unfortunately Nvidia's market share has now risen to 81.2%. Why aren't people thinking about future repercussions of rising prices? I guess people who bought an expensive GPU were happy with the price so they dont care if the next gen is even more expensive?

People never think ahead, that's the problem. They're happy with the here and now, bragging rights with their expensive GPU, and all that fun stuff. When the next generation of cards are hitting £2,000 or higher, we'll know who to blame! :p

Soldato
I think AMD lost the discrete pc war some time ago but given that war is a mere skirmish compared to the console market of which they own both sides I doubt they are losing too much sleep.

Nvidia has an unassailable lead in the minor skirmish however, AMD’s offerings are very much at the low end 590/56/64 compete with 1660ti/2060 and their semi repaired instinct cards just aren’t viable (for me at least) given the amount of noise the wretched things make.

Nvidia haven’t done any better though, their 2080/ti models may take the crown but even if you could afford one you wouldn’t risk buying one given the failure rates. RTX appears nothing more than a smokescreen to offset the minor performance jump over last gen.

Only loser is the PC enthusiast.

Permabanned
I think AMD lost the discrete pc war some time ago but given that war is a mere skirmish compared to the console market of which they own both sides I doubt they are losing too much sleep.

Nvidia has an unassailable lead in the minor skirmish however, AMD’s offerings are very much at the low end 590/56/64 compete with 1660ti/2060 and their semi repaired instinct cards just aren’t viable (for me at least) given the amount of noise the wretched things make.

Nvidia haven’t done any better though, their 2080/ti models may take the crown but even if you could afford one you wouldn’t risk buying one given the failure rates. RTX appears nothing more than a smokescreen to offset the minor performance jump over last gen.

Only loser is the PC enthusiast.

I wouldn't consider this can be a serious opinion.
First of all, what noise are you referring to and if it is the fan noise, have you heard there are settings which can make it nonexistent?

Second - VII is 331 sq.mm, while 2080 Ti is the staggering 754 sq.mm, or exactly 128%! larger chip! Which produces only 38.7% higher framerate with worse image quality?

Imagine what will happen to the poor RTX 2080 Ti, once AMD releases a proper GPU architecture on a 450-500 sq.mm GPU?! Bye-bye RTX! :D

Back
Top Bottom