• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD lost the GPU war?

Associate

Spot on as always.

All that's happened is Nvidia got it's new cards out before AMD. There's still plenty of offerings where AMD offer better value, ie

560=1050
570>1050ti
580 - a price range of it's own
590<1660
Vega 56>1660ti or 2060
Vega 64 best sub £400

So one price tier where Nvidia is actually offering better value right now and AMD haven't got their cards out.

Associate
As above the only losers here is us but even when amd have a better card people STILL recommend Nvidia take the 580 for instance it's slightly better than a 1060 and comes with free games yet people recommend the 1060:rolleyes::confused:

Soldato
I think he's probably right. AMD are releasing comparable products later. I think if AMD were dropping the Radeon 7 at the same time as the 2080/2080ti, story would be a bit different.

Associate
I think he's probably right. AMD are releasing comparable products later. I think if AMD were dropping the Radeon 7 at the same time as the 2080/2080ti, story would be a bit different.
I don't think it would though the R7 came out just a few months after the 2080 and even though with the high failure rate people opt for the 2080

Associate
The GPU side of the business never had nor will ever have the budget/resources that nvidia do. So with that said I'm not sure why people expect them to trump them let alone releasing products before them. Must be no news so this is best till something useful is shared! :)
This people seem to forget just how small AMD are in relation to Nvidia budget :D

Soldato
I don't think it would though the R7 came out just a few months after the 2080 and even though with the high failure rate people opt for the 2080

As a person who was in the market for a new graphics card around the 2080/ti release date, I would have considered the R7 and maybe opted for it if they competed at that period.

Soldato
AMD will always be behind Nvidia in the GPU PC sector. Like above people will still keep recommend Nvidia even when AMD is doing better.

This is the only sector that AMD is behind! They leading the way in CPU and are the only company offering CPU and GPU. They run the biggest GPU sector worldwide in the console market and CPU!

What I trying to say here is people look at AMD and think PC !! This is completely wrong! They are much bigger than that!

So the truth to this question is no AMD hasn't lost the GPU war they are controlling it! But yes they are loosing the PC "GPU" sector war!

Soldato
The GPU side of the business never had nor will ever have the budget/resources that nvidia do. So with that said I'm not sure why people expect them to trump them let alone releasing products before them. Must be no news so this is best till something useful is shared! :)

Then explain why almost all the big players are coming to AMD to help build the games? Ubisoft etc The Division 2, Resident Evil 2 just to name a couple recent titles!
AMD's resources is a miss claimed debate that has been ongoing for years! Budget again No one on this forum can know for sure! Because all they keep doing is comparing it to Nvidia wealth! Again like I said above AMD is much bigger than just the PC sector! And it will be this reason devs are knocking at there door.

Associate
I am sure many said the same thing about AMD loosing the CPU war as well.. hows that going chaps?

They have there graphics in both major consoles, have the only decent APU available and have quite the big stick with moving things to chiplets soon (if GPUs can even use that)

Ok they dont have the sales with discrete GPUs, but changing mindset is hard as most will do no research.

Permabanned
Interestingly, I am playing right now CS Source at 3840x2160 everything maxed out, only without AA on my laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U and RX 560X.
How can AMD lost the war if they offer such goodies? :D

Associate
Interestingly, I am playing right now CS Source at 3840x2160 everything maxed out, only without AA on my laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U and RX 560X.
How can AMD lost the war if they offer such goodies? :D

I suppose because people always buy Nvidia first, without even considering AMD, despite some good offerings from the latter. This is why we're seeing insane prices from Nvidia, they know they can get away with it. :(

Back
Top Bottom