• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Hello everyone. Proud new owner of the Nitro+ Vega 64 and couldn't be happier. Couple of things, I've been browsing through the forums and haven't come accross this specifically:

I've been trying to undervolt this beast, following a number of guides. Starting with p6/1000mV and p7/1100mV and +50% power as recommended. Running FurMark GPU stress test, after a few minutes, my HBM starts hitting just over 90C which whilst it doesn't crash the system, seems a little on the hot side for me personally so I chicken out and cancel the test.

Investigating the automatic fan curve profile, I discover that stock max fan setting is 45% to be achieved by 75C which seems a little low? However, when I give it a good once-over (100% at 85C or thereabouts), I discover that the fans hit a whopping 3145rpm and my rig sounds like its going to explode and again I chicken out, feebly reset WattMan and click the Auto Undervolt GPU button in shame.. So my question is, am I missing something, is it normal to have a card setting that puts the fans up that speed or is the whole point of the Nitro that the fans are good and also quite?

I've tried the undervolted settings in game quickly (just Apex at 1440p Max settings) and temperatures are all under control nicely though I realise its not the most demanding title and I'm kind of at an impasse on what to do next.

Also for what its worth, I saw many people worry like me before purchasing if a 650W power supply is sufficient and I can confirm I've had absolutely no issues so far (other than slight coil whine) using my rm650x.
When I get home from work tonight, I will try take some screenshot of the settings I use for my Vega64 Nitro+.

Caporegime
hey guys hows everyones vega 64 doing? I recently returned my VII, never opened or used just was an impulse buy & I managed to find a new vega 64 aftermarket brand new with games for 350 so ive gone with that hoping ive done the right choice for 3440x1440 100hz free sync

Should be fine at that res, what im running with my LC.

Soldato
When I get home from work tonight, I will try take some screenshot of the settings I use for my Vega64 Nitro+.
Here it is:
2cfrr6t.jpg

I have set the custom fanspeed profile to 1:1 in terms of %:C, so 40% at 40C, 50% at 50C, 60% at 60C, 70% at 70C. I think at 70% it is just under 1900rpm. I do sit about 1.5 metre away from my PC though, so I hardly notice the fan noises when gaming with the game sound going.

Any because of the lower voltage, it would mean the temp itself remind mostly at around 60C at 60% fanspeed, so the fanspeed is most at around 1600rpm max.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try the power saver bios - on the 19.3.1 drivers my fans were still spinning @ 1130rpm
I'll have a look at power draw tomorrow - maybe that was up a bit.
Got a shiny new card to play with.

The 19.3.1 is working as it should for me.. The increased power draw was from playing @ 1440p vsr on my 1080p monitor. I've been so tired from school the last many days that even simple things like this slips my mind :(. I get 99% util in both 1080p and 1440p but of course that doesn't mean that the gpu is being taxed equally in both scenarios. Everyone knows this except my tired head :p so chalk it down to pebcak

Associate
That would be really helpful thanks!
Yes, you should lower the others to 20mv between them or so, OR turn them off and just use p6 state by using the min and max settings above the p states
Cheers that makes snese I think.

Associate
See my previous post above on this page.
That's brilliant thank you. Going to have a play with it today. Can I ask why you reduced the p6 frequency as well as voltage, is it to get into p7 quicker? I'll probably have to shave some fan noise off as I sit quite close to the case. Just go myself 3dMark to do some stress testing.

Soldato
That's brilliant thank you. Going to have a play with it today. Can I ask why you reduced the p6 frequency as well as voltage, is it to get into p7 quicker? I'll probably have to shave some fan noise off as I sit quite close to the case. Just go myself 3dMark to do some stress testing.
Ah, that was just because previously I was playing around trying to see how low I could get on the voltage and was trying to get the optimal performance vs power consumption, and had P5 at 1400, P6 at 1500 (so right at the middle betweem 1400 and 1600), and P7 at 1600.

I think I actually managed have the clock speed stable on 1600 at P7 on 1025mV, but when pushing the clock speed back up to stock speed at 1632, 1025mV was too low to keep it stable, so I upped it to 1050mV (while leaving the P5 and P6 same as before). I might at some point revert/downclock P7 back to 1600 and dropping the voltage down to 1025mV, as the performance between 1600 and 1632 is minimal anyway (something like half to 1fps difference).

Edited: Just tried 1600 at 1025mV again and crashed in game, so not going to bother trying lowering the voltage to that low again, but just sticking with 1632 at 1050mV that's stable for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Just wanted to thank you all for your help. Following some really great advice, I've so far managed a stable undervolt of the Nitro+ to p6/1025 p7/1075 on stock speeds and I think I can still push it a little. Total power consumption during the firestrike stress test is reduced by nearly 8% which is an amazing result. Temperatures are down too, an average 5.5% (all compared to Turbo stock settings in Wattman). So glad I went for the Vega 64 instead of the RTX 2060 which was my other option!

Soldato
Just wanted to thank you all for your help. Following some really great advice, I've so far managed a stable undervolt of the Nitro+ to p6/1025 p7/1075 on stock speeds and I think I can still push it a little. Total power consumption during the firestrike stress test is reduced by nearly 8% which is an amazing result. Temperatures are down too, an average 5.5% (all compared to Turbo stock settings in Wattman). So glad I went for the Vega 64 instead of the RTX 2060 which was my other option!
Good to hear that you are getting good results with your tinkering. Just curious though I noticed you mentioned you are using 1075mV for P7, so just wondering if 1050mV is not enough for running 1632 stable for your Nitro+?

For reference, I managed max stable clock of 1722 stable for my Nitro+ on 1200mV, but the real-world performance increase over 1632 is only around 2~3fps (i.e. scene that I was getting 52fps on 1632 I was getting 54-55fps instead on 1722), and in the end I concluded I'd gladly give up those few extra fps in exchange for much lower power-consumption and a cooler, quieter running card for everyday use.

Associate
@LtMatt Saw the change in drivers requires those who flashed LC BIOS to their Air Vega64 need to drop back to stock bios. However my card is not stable on the stock bios and is only stable on the LC 8774 bios rendering my card unable to use any driver past 19.1.2. Any way to resolve this rather unique problem?

Associate
hello fellows,
so I did some tests and I came to the conclusion that:

Driver 19.3.2 - Wattman Settings Profile (for exemple):
P4: 1202 MHz - 1006 mV
P5: 1517 MHz - 1056 mV
P6: 1642 MHz - 1112 mV
P7: 1727 MHz - 1168 mV
Mem: 1100 Mhz - 1006 mV
PL: 24%

With the settings above on a Cold Boot (or if I simple restart Windows) I always have a driver Crash/Reset seconds after starting FireStrike Stress test for the first time (HWiNFO reports a max of 175x MHz on Gpu Core).
So after the gpu driver crash, I re-open Radeon Settings, Load SAME PROFILE ABOVE, and I'm able to stress FireStrike how many times I want, play games, etc.. without a single crash.

If I just restart Windows, open some game/firestrike stress test again for exemple, seconds after start using GPU I got a Driver Crash/Restart... if I just re-load profile again then I'm able to do whatever I want.

This makes me wonder how many times I though my overclock/undervolt wasn't as unstable as it appears to be, because I did some tests then "ok, everything sounds good, I'll continue tomorrow", then the next day I started from last night point and got a crash at first run and "oh, come on, yestarday I did a lot of test and this settings was stable, and now at the first run I got a crash?"

It seems to be related to PowerLimit, If I use the SAME config BUT with PL 0, I got no crash at all.. if I save settings with PL 24% (didn't test any other yet), I have the situation above.

TL;DR:
1) Start Windows (with settings applied on Wattman)
3) FireStike Stress Test
4) GPU Driver Crash/Reset
5) Re-Apply SAME Settings on Wattman
6) I'm good to go!

this could be a driver related thing? since the problem only occurs on a fresh windows start

Associate
Gigabyte Vega 64 here, had it since October 2018.

Since last weekened i've been getting random black screens & the funky noise through the speakers that goes with it.
It requires hard reboot. And follows up with Wattman restored default settings yadda yadda when Windows boots.

No BSOD, only occurs with anything involved with video streaming or gaming and can happen at anytime. ie: I can happily watching videos for hours and then bamm. Black screen.

Replaced PSU as a precautionary to an Corsair HX1000i from and 750W Corsair (Which was fairly old), but the issue occurred again after a few days trouble free.

DDU'd, updated Card BIOS and Mobo BIOS + Drivers.

I believe the issue is with the card?

Last edited:
Associate
Good day all, been checking this thread here and there and had to create and account for this issue I believe Thiago is also experiencing.

So I have been pulling my hair out dealing with the Vega 64 instabilities and I think it has to be AMD tinkering with the drivers that is causing it. So I have a DIY AIO water cooled Reference Vega 64, I basically won the dollar scratch off ticket silicon lottery with this one, it is not a great undervolter. So I thought I had a stable profile with the last drivers "19.3.1" - P6 1532 @1125 P7 1652 @1150 Mem 1080 @1100 PL 18% Would run 1630+ mhz all day GPU around 55C, hot spot in the 80's. (fan rpm low and silent)

So I test stability with Valley Benchmark, windowed at 2560x1440 max settings, set camera to free and crank the environment settings (cloud, wind, rain) to max, move around a bit to find a spot in the environment with the lowest FPS and that puts a 99%+ load on gpu. It will usually sit there if stationary running fine, but if its unstable, it will soon crash with "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" when I move around the environment a bit.

Sometimes it will crash and Valley will keep running, but back at stock Vega settings, what I have found out is that after a crash, If I go and reload my profile, the clocks do not go as high as before, and thus doing the same thing with Valley, it no longer crashes. Same thing with Witcher 3, except it always quits running after a crash. I believe this "no longer crashing when reloading the profile" is due to the card not clocking as high as it was after a fresh reboot or having not crashed previously. Glitch with the drivers / software? Now if I reboot first, then clocks are back to normal higher clocks and will crash. (if unstable)

So after recently updating to "19.3.2", I started crashing in Witcher 3 again, I rebooted and ran Valley to check stability there and noticed I was hitting 1650+ mhz! It has never hit that at a 1652 P7. Usually in the 1630's Of course it crashed a short time later when moving around the environment. That time a hard crash, black screen. I rebooted and tried again, and again same higher 1650+ clocks, crashed after moving around a bit, benchmark still running this time. For ***** and giggles I reloaded my profile, (after killing and restarting the Radeon Settings process as it always craps out on a crash) this time the clocks were in the 1630's and no Valley crash.

So there seems to be some software / driver glitch that after a crash, (if not first rebooting PC) and reloading your same profile, is will not running correctly and run at lower max clock speeds.

Also these 19.3.2 drivers for me at least are bumping the MHZ somehow, the same profile is no longer stable as it was with 19.3.1.

About my (default) bios - 016.001.001.000.008892 it seems to clock closer the the actual P state that is set. For instance, P7 at 1652, I'll get close to 1640. This does not seem to be the case with other bios's correct? With the 19.3.2 drivers, P7 @ 1652 was giving 1650's+mhz.

**Update:**

So why this is effecting me? (and possibly Thiago), I think having a profile that runs the card right on the edge of stability. The profile was fine with 19.3.1, now with 19.3.2 and 19.3.3, for some reason my card is clocking around 15 - 20mhz higher, just enough to push it to instability.

I now have to back off P7 to 1642 to get around 1630mhz and keep it stable.

I discovered that when putting the PC in standby, which I do often, then upon waking. The damn clocks are also lower by around 15mhz than they are after a fresh reboot. WTF?

So I also found out I can use this tool restart-1.3-src.zip to restart the display driver instead of rebooting. Which then bumps the clocks back to "normal" after a crash or coming from standby. Its something I've been using with another tool (CRU) for monitor over clocking and Free Sync rate min/max tweaks. All found here - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Damn fun and pita card this is...

Also posted this in the drivers section, since it pertains to both.

Last edited:
Associate
Gigabyte Vega 64 here, had it since October 2018.

Since last weekened i've been getting random black screens & the funky noise through the speakers that goes with it.
It requires hard reboot. And follows up with Wattman restored default settings yadda yadda when Windows boots.

No BSOD, only occurs with anything involved with video streaming or gaming and can happen at anytime. ie: I can happily watching videos for hours and then bamm. Black screen.

Replaced PSU as a precautionary to an Corsair HX1000i from and 750W Corsair (Which was fairly old), but the issue occurred again after a few days trouble free.

DDU'd, updated Card BIOS and Mobo BIOS + Drivers.

I believe the issue is with the card?

So I've since found that cranking the power limit to +50% and setting memory State 1 to min has since stopped these "Random" black screen crashes. Time will tell.
I've had 3 monitors running video or some streaming or another. Run a Superposition benchmark and temps not above 62c on the card.

We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom