• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Did you try 2 separate PCIe cables coming from the PSU i.e. not sharing 1 cable with the 2 connectors?

Also have you tried the bios switch for power save mode and in AMD wattman/profile - using profile/balanced or profile/power saver

Yep and yep. Neither work. Still crashes out.

Associate
Well it's been what, 5 months since I posted in here last? I've been running a 3070ti since my last post and today I finally made the effort to see what is actually up with my Vega. Before I was having black screen crashes but that seems to have went away, in the end it just plain sucked in terms of temperature.

I ordered x2 3mm, x2 2mm and x2 1.5mm, x2 1mm thermal pads from Grizzly as well as some more MX-4 paste since I was all out. Here is my results: *****

After scouring various forums trying to get an idea of what pads to use I had mixed suggestions, I started with the 3mm on the VRMs and 1.5mm everywhere else. Soon as I put the sink on to test the contact there was no way the heatsink was going to even contact the die. I ripped off the 3mm and put on the 2mm on the VRMs and that was much better, but could see the card was 100% going to have a bend due to the height of the 1.5mm pads, so I dropped them to the 1mm pads. With this I can see everything is flush and looks like contact is perfect. So I fire it up and it runs great first few benches, then hotspot starts to hit 105c under full load but the GPU temp never goes past 75. The card still throttles like hell, and now all my idle temps are like 50c across the board, with VRMs idling at 52c.

I took it back apart and can see the contact between the VRM and pads is not great, very little impression on the pad. The little spot between the GPU package and HBM, the paste has basically hardened to a crust. It hardened, in an hour of benching. I know this is a curing paste but god damn.

So I strip it down again, it looks like the contact between the VRM and pads is due to a slightly too thick (1mm lol) pads elsewhere, so I took a exacto knife blade and took a few pencil shavings off the 1mm pads. Re-done the paste just so it was perfect. I rebooted and went back to benching. Much lower overall idle temps, basically 30-35 across the board. Under full load the hotspot was still hitting 105c and the card throttling. Except now that when the benchmark ended the temperatures very quickly came down to 40c or so, so that's a positive.

The card still runs like ******* due to throttling, even with a -10% power tuning and underclock it still runs hot as hell.

At this point I've tried every size of thermal pad (I originally had Artic pads on there) to get good contact, followed online advice for the paste application and how to tighten the heatsink correctly to ensure paste gets into all the important bits and nada.

I'm glad I gave up on the card when I did, I'm half tempted to just punt it off for sale for a couple hundred and state that it's only suitable for mining with a huge undervolt.

Soldato
The big mining rigs I've seen are skeleton setups with massive airflow. If you say thats what it needs to keep cool then its probably best given to those who run a set of cards like that anyway. Test it mining, show that in your listing and a picture of the open case and giant desk fan it requires to keep cool would seem fair disclosure. That or someone with water cooling would consider it a suitable challenge I guess

Associate
Hello yall I bought a vega64 reference for 110E and with a new MVE2 Bronze 650W psu it ran flawlessly with no crash for 2weeks, then i started having crashes, i ran it only on stock, with an exception of custom fan curves, now if i try to run games/ dx12 benchmarks my pc crashes, but if i crash and remove one of the 8pin from the gpu, the pc sound comes back healty, so anyone who encountered this, need to dump their psu, due if i do -50% on power then my pc just "sometimes" crashes.
What yall guys think, which new psu would be suited for my gpu?
I think my psu is "half dead" but i think im gonna get some power resistors to test my power supply if it crashes
Im gonna also get a wall wattmeter, with combination with that, im gonna simulate the load with power resistors, if i get any crash.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hello yall I bought a vega64 reference for 110E and with a new MVE2 Bronze 650W psu it ran flawlessly with no crash for 2weeks, then i started having crashes, i ran it only on stock, with an exception of custom fan curves, now if i try to run games/ dx12 benchmarks my pc crashes, but if i crash and remove one of the 8pin from the gpu, the pc sound comes back healty, so anyone who encountered this, need to dump their psu, due if i do -50% on power then my pc just "sometimes" crashes.
I think my psu is "half dead" but i think im gonna get some power resistors to test my power supply if it crashes
Im gonna also get a wall wattmeter, with combination with that, im gonna simulate the load with power resistors, if i get any crash.
depends on the psu .. i run mine on a 850w but they do pull some power .. how old was your psu ? corsair ??

Soldato
I ran a red devil 64 for years on a SuperFlower 1000w platinum ok and upgraded after gpu prices came somewhat normal.
I gave it to a friend who ran it on a EVGA 600w bronze psu and he had the same problem, kept crashing until he unplugged one of the 8 pins.. very odd!

Back
Top Bottom