Bring on brexit!

Soldato
Why not? Why do they need to be rich?
Some people who are rich might be happy with 120mph.
Some people who are not as rich still might buy the 140mph capable car.

Being rich does not mean a faster car you know. The beauty of freedom is we spend money as we choose and having options is a good thing, never bad!

You suggested a 'luxury' car lane, it implies a lane for rich people ;)

I haven't read much on this so if I am misunderstanding then feel free to correct me.
If they fit speed limiters to all cars going forwards will this be the end of road going super cars? M division say bye-bye? AMG? Etc etc. Who would want to buy a Ferrari for example that can't go over the speed limit?

OcUK Staff
I haven't read much on this so if I am misunderstanding then feel free to correct me.
If they fit speed limiters to all cars going forwards will this be the end of road going super cars? M division say bye-bye? AMG? Etc etc. Who would want to buy a Ferrari for example that can't go over the speed limit?

I will be honest if it was blanket enforced, no car can exceed 70 or 80mph, or can say get 5mph over the speed limit, I'd simply lose interest in cars, only car I'd consider for fun would be a Caterham and then just a luxo barge for day to day or just leave the country and go live somewhere where the sun always shines. :)

Soldato

Of course it should apply to all cars, if it happens.

Soldato
Judging by some of the responses in here, there must be a lot of people needing that extra boost when overtaking. :p

Seriously though, speeding on public roads is disgraceful and this new gadget will be a great thing.

Another example of the EU doing something brave and beneficial.

Caporegime
It's more the data logging and camera aspect I have an issue with. Speed limits won't stop you having a blast on country roads and such, but I really don't want them collecting data on where I go, how I get there and where I am at this point in time.

They (the authorities) can already do that if they need to, by tracking your phone, it is very simple and is done regularly.

Soldato
I never have GPS turned on so that would make it harder, but I know it is possible. GPS/cameras in cars will monetise it though.

Most new cars are already tracked by manufacturers.

There is a reason why you now get manufacturer made phone apps which can show you where your car is.

They don't just collect location either.

I will be honest if it was blanket enforced, no car can exceed 70 or 80mph, or can say get 5mph over the speed limit, I'd simply lose interest in cars, only car I'd consider for fun would be a Caterham and then just a luxo barge for day to day or just leave the country and go live somewhere where the sun always shines. :)

Wow, I was hoping I would be wrong but looks like I wasn't. So looks like the used sports car market will go sky high at some point, hold on to your tasty motors until this kicks in then?

Caporegime
I never have GPS turned on so that would make it harder, but I know it is possible. GPS/cameras in cars will monetise it though.

Don't need GPS turned on your phone will automatically send a signal to each cell it goes past to lock onto the strongest signal all the time, so extremely easy to triangulate and know your position within a few meters.

Back
Top Bottom