• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Ordered from EKWB, put in a cancellation request for Alphacool order.

Did some measuring in my case and think I might go for 2x 280mm radiators as a 420mm at the top is likely to cause issues with the mobo as the back fan would hit the mobo's shroud.

EKWB estimate is delivered by 5th April which is cutting it fine for building it that weekend, hopefully they don't delay like Alphacool!

if it helps i ordered mine direct from EK when the preorder came up and its been shipped already

Associate
Ordered from EKWB, put in a cancellation request for Alphacool order.

Did some measuring in my case and think I might go for 2x 280mm radiators as a 420mm at the top is likely to cause issues with the mobo as the back fan would hit the mobo's shroud.

EKWB estimate is delivered by 5th April which is cutting it fine for building it that weekend, hopefully they don't delay like Alphacool!
Sounding good! Should look nice with the twin 280mm rads. Which pump did you go with?

Soldato
Well... touch wood, so far, so good on the space invaders.
I'm hitting 16119 on graphics score so... yeah, it's perhaps not linearly worth the extra (though I paid £1k for this) but... that's a reasonable lead.

Genuinely wasn't in for trolling or measuring with a sneer, was more worried it would be a waste once Rad VII were tamed under water. That's still... ok. Not super, but ok. I'll live with that.
That is quite the massive jump from a radeon, how does it compare to the top fire strike ultra and extreme scores for radeon 7, what does it get versus a radeon 7, as timespy is heavily nvidia

Associate
I think they are great also! It's weird how an nvidia card (I had to borrow one a few months back) just feels like a graphics card and you barely think about it. But a vega or this radeon 7 gives you pride, even love. Am i alone with this or you guys get that too ? I

I think with the Radeon cards you have to nurture them, almost coax them along to there best :D really enjoying the VII, even more under water. and with the VII power table mod allowing 1300 memory iam pleased to report 1300mhz is easy with my VII the last timespy was with 1300mhz

Associate
I'd get the Watercool Heatkiller Tube D5 reservoir and pump top, and either EK D5 Vario or PWM pump, or if you want to spend a bit more, Aquacomputer's D5 Next RGB.

If you're not going the whole hog for the Aquacomputer, personally I'd just get the EK D5 Vario rather than PWM. It's cheaper, more reliable (electronically), and at the 80% setting is more than enough for that loop and virtually inaudible inside the case ... so no reason to reduce speed when not loaded.

Associate
I use the D5 pumps, mine are 6 years old and going strong. they are not any fancy ones just a tiny little pot on the bottom of the pump to ajust the speed, always left them flat out as when the res is vertical you cant adjust it anyway.
good reliable pumps the D5 cant say ive looked at any modern RGB versions. this is what I have https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alphacool-vpp655-vario-d5-water-cooling-pump-wc-08b-ac.html

simple, reliable and they can take 24v so at 12v they are quiet anyway. when I used to use a chiller I had these same 2 pumps in the same loop, one pulling one pushing with 2 rads outside lol crazy days.

Soldato
I think with the Radeon cards you have to nurture them, almost coax them along to there best :D really enjoying the VII, even more under water. and with the VII power table mod allowing 1300 memory iam pleased to report 1300mhz is easy with my VII the last timespy was with 1300mhz
When in games do you use 1300?
Just wondering if the sparkles I get when at 1300hbm are caused by heat or not enough mv on the core

Associate
When in games do you use 1300?
Just wondering if the sparkles I get when at 1300hbm are caused by heat or not enough mv on the core

I haven't seen any sparkles at 1300 on benches or in games, played an hour of doom last night and forgot to take off my overclock and didn't see one sparkle or anything. watman said mem was at 1305mhz my core was at 1006mv
so not sure if its core voltage causing sparkles for you. these cards on water are obviously cooler, GPU temp was 37c junction temp was 54c

Soldato
I haven't seen any sparkles at 1300 on benches or in games, played an hour of doom last night and forgot to take off my overclock and didn't see one sparkle or anything. watman said mem was at 1305mhz my core was at 1006mv
so not sure if its core voltage causing sparkles for you. these cards on water are obviously cooler, GPU temp was 37c junction temp was 54c
Must be the hbm temperature on the chip getting to hot as the sparkles are so frequent that 3dmark aborts itself. Although at 100 fan and higher mv it would go through a pass on it

Associate
Must be the hbm temperature on the chip getting to hot as the sparkles are so frequent that 3dmark aborts itself. Although at 100 fan and higher mv it would go through a pass on it

I think I remember your getting a water block so will be interesting to see if it cures the sparkles for you, hopefully it will, the only time I can remember seeing any glitches at all was when under volting to far.
I guess as with the GPU the HBM is also a lottery on the speed it can do. but I see little performance gain from 1200 to 1300 GPU core offers most gains.

Soldato
I think I remember your getting a water block so will be interesting to see if it cures the sparkles for you, hopefully it will, the only time I can remember seeing any glitches at all was when under volting to far.
I guess as with the GPU the HBM is also a lottery on the speed it can do. but I see little performance gain from 1200 to 1300 GPU core offers most gains.
I want to order one today but really not sure which one to get. The best place to get The bykski one is from ali express?
The ek one is not available yet Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom