Combi Boiler

Soldato
OP
Yep, I have 6 of the HR92, 1 WiFi controller, and 1 opentherm bridge.
No other system comes close to the versatility of evohome.
I'm thinking of adding a couple of temp sensors as well.

I have about 10 radiators, so it would cost a lot to fit HR92s to all of them, unless I don't need to fit them on all of them, got a small downstairs toilet with a small radiator, that could be a bit pointless fitting one in their for example.

Soldato
I have about 10 radiators, so it would cost a lot to fit HR92s to all of them, unless I don't need to fit them on all of them, got a small downstairs toilet with a small radiator, that could be a bit pointless fitting one in their for example.
Yes you could leave the one off the toilet and fit HR91 where you don't need the screen.

Caporegime
Go on then. How long does it take to learn how to use a flue gas analyser and check that it's within the range of what the boiler specs say?
What else is done as part of the service.
I dont know, I’m not a gas engineer, and I wouldn’t even attempt to do it myself. The law states you have to be fully competent to work on a boiler, even your own. Believing that doing a bit of reading and watching videos for a day on the internet makes you competent is laughable.

Soldato
What size property are you in with the Ideal Vogue, do have the 32, semi detached here and looking at getting the Vogue Max combi 32.

I have the 32Kw, 3 bed semi. Size of house is irrelevant for a combi though even the smallest will heat a standard size house. Purely go of what hot water you want, going more complex too big a combi wont modulate low enough for the heating side of things so will still cycle on and off rather than just stay on nice and low. So although bigger is better for the primary function of hot water, you risk making the secondary function of heating less efficient, so its best to know what flow of hot water you want and aim for that rather than simply put the biggest combi you can afford in.

Soldato
OP
I have the 32Kw, 3 bed semi. Size of house is irrelevant for a combi though even the smallest will heat a standard size house. Purely go of what hot water you want, going more complex too big a combi wont modulate low enough for the heating side of things so will still cycle on and off rather than just stay on nice and low. So although bigger is better for the primary function of hot water, you risk making the secondary function of heating less efficient.

Yeah 32kw is what we have quotes for, I think I will leave the Evohome stuff for now, guess that can be fitted at a later date if I decide on it.

I dont know, I’m not a gas engineer, and I wouldn’t even attempt to do it myself. The law states you have to be fully competent to work on a boiler, even your own. Believing that doing a bit of reading and watching videos for a day on the internet makes you competent is laughable.

Yeah this is a very important point, there is no ambiguity in the law here.
I am also someone who will get hands on but wont go near gas, even if I was allowed.

Interesting, I knew that for electrics (well outside some prescribed areas)

I see what you mean now. Its a bit of an oversight I guess, because its worded in regards people being paid.
The HSE also say however that a registered gas safe fitter cannot certify the work of a non-registered so as soon as you do practically anything then you could run into issues.
I have never looked at my home insurance, but thats another potential risk, its quite possible it mentions this sort of thing. But again they may say competent.

Soldato
I would not touch it just to save a few quid, the issue is that would you risk yours and everyone else's life in the house as that is what is ultimately at stake here.

I have my boiler serviced every year and it's never cost me more than £50 per service in the 6 years I've had it installed.

Soldato
There is ambiguity in the law. No mention that competent = GasSafe. It simply says you must be competent.

The problem is that you don't know you're not competent until something goes wrong. That's usually when your family dies in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning, or you blow up your house and the houses around you, killing your family and your neighbours.

It's easy to unbolt things and unscrew things. It's hard to know what you don't know about making sure you did a safe job and that you've done the tests to make sure that's the case. And that assumes you've gone out and bought the correct equipment and know how to use it. Not that an untrained person would know what equipment they needed.

Do a bit of wonky plumbing and you might get a water leak, but if you get it wrong with gas, the results can and do kill people.

Soldato
OP
*UPDATE*

Had our new combi boiler installed (Ideal Vogue Max 32), early days but impressed with it so far, just need to get used to the Honeywell Thermostat and what settings to use to maintain a good temp.

Anyone else use a Honeywell thermostat that can advise with best settings to use, Im currently using AUTO mode with customised time periods and temperature control for all 7 days a week.

Unsure how I should operate the thermostat in the Summer months, should I just use the off button or programme it differently in the AUTO mode, obviously we won't be using the heating in Summer so presume off is best.

Soldato
I just leave ours on all the time. It's too warm in the summer for it to fire up the heating, so it never does unless it gets unseasonably cold.

Soldato
OP
I just leave ours on all the time. It's too warm in the summer for it to fire up the heating, so it never does unless it gets unseasonably cold.

Good point, never thought of that, got mine set to 20c at most so shouldn’t fire up that much if I left it on auto then.

See how it goes, really like the simplicity of it all.

Associate
*UPDATE*

Had our new combi boiler installed (Ideal Vogue Max 32), early days but impressed with it so far, just need to get used to the Honeywell Thermostat and what settings to use to maintain a good temp.

Anyone else use a Honeywell thermostat that can advise with best settings to use, Im currently using AUTO mode with customised time periods and temperature control for all 7 days a week.

Unsure how I should operate the thermostat in the Summer months, should I just use the off button or programme it differently in the AUTO mode, obviously we won't be using the heating in Summer so presume off is best.

I turn mine to manual in the spring, with the temp set to about 14. So it never fires up. But left in auto at a reasonable temperature would probably achieve the same results.

Soldato
OP
Yeah will leave on Auto for now see how it goes.

Unsure if I should change the temp of the radiators on the boiler think its around 70 at the moment, but some radiators are very hot to the touch, especially the ones without thermostat valves.

Back
Top Bottom