Combi Boiler

Gas engineers have to undergo far more training than a simple NVQ.

really not what the local radio says, nor what a google of the course says either

Example 1:

1) "For eight weeks, on either a full or part-time basis, you will attend one of our fully equipped training centres to undertake centre-led training. With training delivered by experienced tutors, it is here that you will learn the essential theory and practical skills a gas engineer requires. What you learn during this time will prepare you and allow you to confidently move onto step two."
2) "
Supervised by a gas safe registered engineer, you will undertake practical gas work. Not only is this a legal requirement for your training but it's also essential to your development. We can place you with a local gas engineer to work with if necessary. Before moving onto step three, you must complete your summative assessment. This includes three written assessments, one practical assessment and a portfolio assessment."
3)"
Upon completion of your portfolio, you will return to the training centre for your final ACS exams. This consists of your ACS Initial Assessment which will test you on gas safety and the full domestic suite of appliances. ACS membership is essential for any gas engineer as completing it enables you to apply to the gas safe register to become a gas safe engineer."

Says its an NVQ level 3 course. NVQ level 3 is approx 2 A levels.

Example 2:

The NVQ Level 3 plumbing and heating qualification is aimed at anyone who has already completed the Level 2 qualification, or who already has some relevant experience and knowledge. If you choose gas-related units at Level 3 you will achieve the Gas Safe licence to practise on successful completion of the course.
https://www.cityandguilds.com/quali...plumbing-and-domestic-heating#tab=information

Caporegime
really not what the local radio says, nor what a google of the course says either

Example 1:

1) "For eight weeks, on either a full or part-time basis, you will attend one of our fully equipped training centres to undertake centre-led training. With training delivered by experienced tutors, it is here that you will learn the essential theory and practical skills a gas engineer requires. What you learn during this time will prepare you and allow you to confidently move onto step two."
2) "
Supervised by a gas safe registered engineer, you will undertake practical gas work. Not only is this a legal requirement for your training but it's also essential to your development. We can place you with a local gas engineer to work with if necessary. Before moving onto step three, you must complete your summative assessment. This includes three written assessments, one practical assessment and a portfolio assessment."
3)"
Upon completion of your portfolio, you will return to the training centre for your final ACS exams. This consists of your ACS Initial Assessment which will test you on gas safety and the full domestic suite of appliances. ACS membership is essential for any gas engineer as completing it enables you to apply to the gas safe register to become a gas safe engineer."

Says its an NVQ level 3 course. NVQ level 3 is approx 2 A levels.

Example 2:

The NVQ Level 3 plumbing and heating qualification is aimed at anyone who has already completed the Level 2 qualification, or who already has some relevant experience and knowledge. If you choose gas-related units at Level 3 you will achieve the Gas Safe licence to practise on successful completion of the course.
https://www.cityandguilds.com/quali...plumbing-and-domestic-heating#tab=information
Sounds so easy, but it’s quite intense. The blurb is always gonna make it sound nice and simple to draw people in.

Sounds so easy, but it’s quite intense. The blurb is always gonna make it sound nice and simple to draw people in.

Ok whatever. NVQ level3 is now uber intense. Why don't they class it as a 4 or 5 then?
Its funny its almost as if someone devised a scheme, that graded the effort to pass at a certain level ;)

I hate to think what a level 4 or 5 must be like, probably easier to train as an astronaut

Associate
What are you trying to prove exactly? It's no secret that you don't need top grades to become a Gas engineer.

Although I will say that these fast track short term courses you have mentioned are damaging the industry and peoples opinon's on us as a trade as they usually result in guys undercutting the legit companies and throwing in substandard boiler installs IMO

Caporegime
What are you trying to prove exactly? It's no secret that you don't need top grades to become a Gas engineer.

Although I will say that these fast track short term courses you have mentioned are damaging the industry and peoples opinon's on us as a trade as they usually result in guys undercutting the legit companies and throwing in substandard boiler installs IMO
I find a few people take issue with gas engineers due to the money they charge. They might not have to do a four year undergraduate course, but in many cases, they earn more than the people who do.

Im not trying to prove anything, just rob making some drama that you cant call a gas engineer a plumber, despite all the ones I have known going by that term. And then making out like it was some uber difficult thing and somehow the NVQ 3 was not reflective of the course.

I get what you mean about the courses, applies in lots of industries now. What typically would have been learned over years as an apprentice with say 1 day a week at college (as my mates who went into trades did) now is shortcutted as a way to jump straight to the "big bucks"

I find a few people take issue with gas engineers due to the money they charge. They might not have to do a four year undergraduate course, but in many cases, they earn more than the people who do.

Some may. Not me, I recognise that what plenty of people are earning right now is supply and demand taking effect. Length of qualification has never really had any direct bearing on earning potential.
All it does in some areas is act as a barrier to entry, typically for public safety purposes, or to protect the "old boys network" so to speak

Soldato
As soon as my boiler warranty is up i wont be servicing it. It is a big con, on my Ideal Vogue they literally just check the flue gas. The actual boiler tells you everything else on the screen.
Better to just start putting a few quid a month aside to go towards repairs/replacement in the future. The whole gas safe lark is a bit of a con if you ask me, not like its hard working with gas with a bit of common sense and correct tools.

Wonder what the cheapest flue gas analyser is, £250ish, service my own boiler then.

Soldato
my boiler is 20 years old. no warranty left.

if it breaks there is no point spending £300+ fixing it as the technology has no doubt improved over 20 years. so i will get a new one with a 10 year warranty.

also checking it's working properly is fairly simple to do yourself especially with youtube.
But my point on servicing wasn't directed at you. It was directed to the OP who is getting a brand new boiler put in. The fact you chimed in and about trying to compare your 20 year old boiler to a brand new one is completely moot as you are not even close to comparing the same thing.

The reasoning I gave for maintaining a service schedule, to the OP, is due to maintaining warranty.

Associate
As mentioned before first thing is get your water flow rate tested, no point in going for a high Kw boiler if you don't have a decent flow.

Soldato
OP
As soon as my boiler warranty is up i wont be servicing it. It is a big con, on my Ideal Vogue they literally just check the flue gas. The actual boiler tells you everything else on the screen.
Better to just start putting a few quid a month aside to go towards repairs/replacement in the future. The whole gas safe lark is a bit of a con if you ask me, not like its hard working with gas with a bit of common sense and correct tools.

Wonder what the cheapest flue gas analyser is, £250ish, service my own boiler then.

I think you have that Honey Well evohome kit looking at a post of yours, thinking about getting it, but do you need to fit them controllers on every radiator in the house, that would be pricey.

Soldato
OP
But my point on servicing wasn't directed at you. It was directed to the OP who is getting a brand new boiler put in. The fact you chimed in and about trying to compare your 20 year old boiler to a brand new one is completely moot as you are not even close to comparing the same thing.

The reasoning I gave for maintaining a service schedule, to the OP, is due to maintaining warranty.

Yeah thank you, I was aware that you need a regular service to maintain warranty, the guy fitting our new boiler is someone we were recommended and is local, he still services a family members boiler that he fitted a few years ago.

Soldato
Thanks, so you have the thermostates on all your radiators, that must have been pricey, I see they starter kits, will need to have a proper study.

Yep, I have 6 of the HR92, 1 WiFi controller, and 1 opentherm bridge.
No other system comes close to the versatility of evohome.
I'm thinking of adding a couple of temp sensors as well.

Caporegime

Lmao, what a load of crap, gas safe a con. Should we just do away with it then and let anyone with a bit of common sense and the right tools get a van and go out fitting gas boilers?

It goes back to an argument I’ve had on here before, people just detest paying other people for services that they feel they can do themselves and some will even go to the tragic lengths of putting their own family at risk to save a few quid. It’s a tragic world we live in at times.

Soldato
Lmao, what a load of crap, gas safe a con. Should we just do away with it then and let anyone with a bit of common sense and the right tools get a van and go out fitting gas boilers?

It goes back to an argument I’ve had on here before, people just detest paying other people for services that they feel they can do themselves and some will even go to the tragic lengths of putting their own family at risk to save a few quid. It’s a tragic world we live in at times.

Laugh your arse off all you want. Plenty of people are capable of doing the work themselves.
Spend a day reading up on the subject and get cracking. I'm not saying everyone will be capable of doing it correctly.

It totally depends on the person. Like I wouldn't pay a plumber for anything when I can do it all myself, same with 90% of electrical work. Id do noisy building and joinery work myself as well.
I'm sure a bit of gas work isn't that difficult, it's only the theory side of things, the physical pipework is easy.

Soldato
“Spend a day reading up the subject and get cracking”

“I’m sure a bit of gas work isn’t that difficult”

Are you actually serious or on the wind up?

Go on then. How long does it take to learn how to use a flue gas analyser and check that it's within the range of what the boiler specs say?
What else is done as part of the service.

Why do some people presume that others are incapable of carrying out a certain job.
It's not even like gas Safe is like plastering for instance which you can read all you like but it's practice that gets you there.
Definitely the practical side of gas the pipework has some skill to it on the soldering and bending. But the theory behind gas Safe is just reading and understanding.

Id love to know what is so skilled about a boiler service.
Last guy I had out even talked me through it and laughed how easy my boiler was as it told him all the numbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom