BREAKING: Paris landmark, Notre Dame Cathedral, is on fire!

Soldato
Surely the Catholic church had insured it?

If not, then can't they use some of that nazi gold they have squirrelled away.....

Seems a bit strong for the taxpayer to have to fork out for a cathedral belonging to the Catholic church.

Who the hell is going to let themselves be liable for insurance on a building like that? These things are basically uninsurable.

Caporegime
Surely the Catholic church had insured it?

If not, then can't they use some of that nazi gold they have squirrelled away.....

Seems a bit strong for the taxpayer to have to fork out for a cathedral belonging to the Catholic church.

The Catholic Church does not own it. Notre Dame Cathedral is owned by the French Ministry of Culture. That's why taxpayers are responsible for funding it. But it's unlikely to be uninsured.

French billionaire Francois Pinault has pledged €100 million towards reconstruction.

Soldato
Gutted about this, been reading about ti here since this morning, i went there a couple of years ago and i was in awe of its size and beauty! I'm just priviledged to have seen it the way it was meant to be seen, anyone who has never visited / future generations will now only be able to read about its history :(

RIP Notre Dame :(

15047089383_8191b11ced_b_d.jpg

Caporegime
Wait... just watching BBC Breakfast and they're going through the well wishing tweets of leaders... they get to trumps and completely remove his comments about the flying water tanks.

Caporegime
Very sad, thankfully though just a building fire at the end of the day, nobody killed apparently (although a seriously injured firefighter) this could have been much worse.

As for Trump and his usual stupid comment, I just find it another terrifying reminder that this imbecile is the Commander in Chief of the most powerful military machine on the planet which should worry us all far more!

Soldato
The frame of the roof was built with 1,300 oak trees, which corresponds to more than 21 hectares of forest.
Completely off topic but I’m curious. That stat which you read somewhere I assume. Is it 21 hectares today or then? Surely forests were much denser back then than now.

Caporegime
Macron wants the international community to cough up cash to help rebuild it.

I wonder how much the French government is going to fund, or should i say how much he can fund without further mass protests about fuel.

Soldato
so when they do restoration/whatever work in big places like this/Windsor Castle, why is there no health & safety stipulation to have a mobile fire suppression system installed? surely you could have a rack of extinguishers of the appropriate type pointed at danger spots and fitted w/ heat detectors?

Caporegime
so when they do restoration/whatever work in big places like this/Windsor Castle, why is there no health & safety stipulation to have a mobile fire suppression system installed? surely you could have a rack of extinguishers of the appropriate type pointed at danger spots and fitted w/ heat detectors?

If only it was that simple, even sprinklers in buildings aren’t designed to put fire out but to maintain safe egress from the building for a las long as possible and attempt to keep the fire under control until the fire brigade arrives. Due to the unpredictable nature of fire there’s not much hope in installing a system like that and having it be effective if a fire does actually break out.

Soldato
Completely off topic but I’m curious. That stat which you read somewhere I assume. Is it 21 hectares today or then? Surely forests were much denser back then than now.

Its not just any old trees either. It has to be trees of just the right shape. The "Wastage" that would have occurred when building these huge structures must have been immense (EG a whole tree felled to get hold of a single limb that is just the right shape to create a particular joist or support)

We didnt know any better back in the 12th century.

Actually we did, rather more than today really.

That is what Royal Forests were for. Trees were deliberately planted and protected so that in, say, 200 years time, there would be timber available to build Ships/buildings with. People in the past had far longer horizons than people today.

Back
Top Bottom