Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
They won't do two Superhubs at the same property.

The only way for OP to do it is either via a cat 5 cable, powerline plugs, or wi-fi. He can move the superhub downstairs and connect directly, but then he has to use the same connection methods to go back to (presumably) where his PC is.

It doesn't work that way. It's like asking why you can't cook your dinner out of the gas line that goes to your boiler, because your oven is in another room. The Superhub is the termination that comes into the house and from there everything else flows. You need the SH to decode the internet off the cable, you can't get a signal off it otherwise.

Right, I understand now! Thanks for the information and your patience. :)

Soldato
Just to quote myself and expand on this in an effort to decide on whether or not I want a new router, have all the chip set issues been resolved or are there still issues?

If you're talking about the issues with the SH3 Puma 6 chipset issues, they have been mitigated to the point where I doubt you will see them. New firmware basically offloads the things that cause the issue onto the atom co-processor. So not really fixed, but certainly worked around.

Soldato
If you're talking about the issues with the SH3 Puma 6 chipset issues, they have been mitigated to the point where I doubt you will see them. New firmware basically offloads the things that cause the issue onto the atom co-processor. So not really fixed, but certainly worked around.

Ok thanks, I'm having some issues at the moment and I'm trying to decide on upgrading the router or just cabling, think I'm just going to cable

Associate
They won't do two Superhubs at the same property.

The only way for OP to do it is either via a cat 5 cable, powerline plugs, or wi-fi. He can move the superhub downstairs and connect directly, but then he has to use the same connection methods to go back to (presumably) where his PC is.

It doesn't work that way. It's like asking why you can't cook your dinner out of the gas line that goes to your boiler, because your oven is in another room. The Superhub is the termination that comes into the house and from there everything else flows. You need the SH to decode the internet off the cable, you can't get a signal off it otherwise.

Untrue regarding not allowing two superhubs.

How do I know this I have two.

What they shouldn't do is run two on the one feed coming into the home but this is something that is still done when it shouldn't they tried to get away with this at mine.

Caporegime
Hello all, quick question: I've just bought a smart TV and want to plug my Virgin BB straight into it - do I need a router or some kind of Virgin-cable-to-ethernet plug adapter?

• The hub is elsewhere in the house. I already have a wifi booster but I'd prefer to not attach the TV to the wifi if possible.
  • The TV is situated right next to where the Virgin Tivo cable comes in (we recently stopped that service and now just have BB).

Any help appreciated as this is new to me. I've been on the Virgin community for an hour and can't find a solution.

If the cable that was connected to your TIVO is still live (not disconnected at the splitter outside) you could just move your modem there, if in the future you get TIVO again use a splitter and the spare cable from where your modem was.

Soldato
If the cable that was connected to your TIVO is still live (not disconnected at the splitter outside) you could just move your modem there, if in the future you get TIVO again use a splitter and the spare cable from where your modem was.

Thank you. Sadly, the hub is in another room and it sort of makes more sense there.

Soldato
Anyone know how much if any Virgin charge to move the entry point from one location to another?

At the moment the virgin line comes into the house under the living room window and into the corner of the room, I’d like it moved to a cupboard I have in another room which will give me easier access to feed cables to other rooms.

Haven’t got the keys to my new house yet but it’ll be one of the first things I change when I get virgin installed this weekend.

Associate
Contract is up next month, currently got VIP TV, phone and 350Mb broadband, rang this morning to cancel and best they offered at the time was £57 for phone and 350Mb broadband no TV. Broadband speed has been all over for a while, tempted to go back to an openreach fibre provider get the payment under £30 a month.

Associate
Hi,

Possibly not directly a VM problem, but nothing has been changed by me regarding my router.

When accessing Paddy Power https://www.paddypower.com/bet I see 'Http/1.1 Service Unavailable' at the top of the page, even though the rest of the page appears to load correctly. This however isn't the case, because when I try to place a bet and login the page returned is 'Http/1.1 Service Unavailable'

dhaLH7N.jpg

As I said, I've changed nothing and have just rebooted the Superhub and cleared the cookies again but to no avail :confused:

Does anyone have any ideas as to the possible cause and how to fix/resolve this? First noticed the the problem starting yesterday afternoon, was definitely fine in the morning.

Note: I can place bets and have full Paddy Power access via my phone using my data connection.

Man of Honour
Anyone know how much if any Virgin charge to move the entry point from one location to another?

At the moment the virgin line comes into the house under the living room window and into the corner of the room, I’d like it moved to a cupboard I have in another room which will give me easier access to feed cables to other rooms.

Haven’t got the keys to my new house yet but it’ll be one of the first things I change when I get virgin installed this weekend.
If they are coming out to do the install they will install it in whichever room you want (within reason).

Soldato
If they are coming out to do the install they will install it in whichever room you want (within reason).
It’s already been installed in one position from the previous occupants and I’d like it moved to the other side of the house, shouldn’t be a problem really?

Man of Honour
It’s already been installed in one position from the previous occupants and I’d like it moved to the other side of the house, shouldn’t be a problem really?
Yeah should be fine. There will be a small box attached to the outside of the property and they will just run a new cable from that, around the outside wall and into the room you want it in.

Is there a modem or TV box left by the previous owner? If so, I would disconnect them and leave them in a pile elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom