Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
They should concentrate on delivering the speeds they advertise rather than increasing it.
I've had vivid 350 for a few days and as the download was as promised the upload was all over the place.
It could drop as low as 3mbps at times making services like game streaming completely unusable...
Not that game streaming would work anyway with the latencies they have .
Their service is good for downloads but that's about it...
Yep, if you took a poll of VM customers and asked if they wanted more download or more upload the vast majority would say upload. We can but hope that with the 500Mb/s that they increase the upload, though if it does knowing VM it will probably go from 20Mb/s to 25Mb/s. :rolleyes:
I'm hoping that the uploads people are getting with BT's G.fast (typically more than 40Mb/s) might prompt VM to pull their finger out but...

Associate
@z10m had the opposite experience, I'm also on vivid 350, at first it was get syncing around 385 down and 21 up, still getting 21 up but "only" getting 220 down. Checked on there website they only guarantee 180 down on vivid 350 :(

Associate
@z10m had the opposite experience, I'm also on vivid 350, at first it was get syncing around 385 down and 21 up, still getting 21 up but "only" getting 220 down. Checked on there website they only guarantee 180 down on vivid 350 :(
In my case the speedtest would always show upload at about 21mbps but when transferring files it would start fluctuating during peak hours.
Download was never affected but then again I have only had it few days..

Soldato
My speed test results are all over the place. I just did one now and got 370 down and 20 up but in the past, I've done them and got 200 down and 20 up. I'm not sure what is causing that as I don't think I'm in an area with a lot of contention. I never turn off my router.

Soldato
Yep, if you took a poll of VM customers and asked if they wanted more download or more upload the vast majority would say upload. We can but hope that with the 500Mb/s that they increase the upload, though if it does knowing VM it will probably go from 20Mb/s to 25Mb/s. :rolleyes:
I'm hoping that the uploads people are getting with BT's G.fast (typically more than 40Mb/s) might prompt VM to pull their finger out but...

Apparently the router config will be 575mbit down, 35mbit up.

Soldato

Most customers wouldn't know the difference.

Soldato
As much as I'd advocate for better upload speeds or even full duplex, I realise that I barely make use of what I have. Looking at my router stats for the last 30 days, I have 1.7TB down and only 32GB up. What do you lot use upload for?

Soldato
Backups, private trackers, game streaming, media streaming just to name few....
the last two especially require stable and not fluctuating upload speed.

That's a fair point, if I had better upload speed I'd do full backups nightly. As it stands, I only backup key files.

Soldato
Same as above really, cloud CCTV storage.

11v6x50.png

X3FdcC1

Last edited:
Associate
I set this up and these are the results for today. They seem OK to me but I'd value your (and anyone else's) feedback.

My Broadband Ping

Yeah they do look normal for virgin media connection.
That's what mine looked like when I had vivid 350
My pings are slightly lower tho.

Your Shared Graph

This is what sky connection looks like in comparison.

Your Shared Graph

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah they do look normal for virgin media connection.
That's what mine looked like when I had vivid 350
My pings are slightly lower tho.

Your Shared Graph

This is what sky connection looks like in comparison.

Your Shared Graph

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I had a horrible time when I was on Sky broadband. VM was the only broadband that seemed to work properly but that could just be because I live in an old house and the copper telephone line is terrible. When I finish my VM contract I might look around at the other options but I'm happy for the time being.

Edit: Getting another telephone line installed might be an option in the future. At least that way I'd know that I had a decent connection.

Associate
You should be able to, although Virgin probably wouldn't like you doing it.

You could extend the existing cable, but it would make more sense to replace it entirely. If you did want to join two cables you'd use a female to female joiner such as this.

Dang. So I bought the cable recommended here:

Trying to find something but not having much luck. A cable assembled from HD100 cable and compression F connectors will be ideal.

This on the face of it looks fine https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183683204595

It's completely different. Seems much shorter connectors:

lciZz3q.jpg

And they won't correctly "clip on" and stay attached to either the modem/router or the input socket on the wall. Even if you manually stand there holding them in, it won't be able to connect. So that's £15 wasted :(

Anyone else have first-hand recommendations for extension cables that will actually work for Virgin Media?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom