Crossover frequency setup

Associate
Got a JBL SCS200.5 speaker system for free and was thinking of using it instead of the soundbar. I am going to use it as 3.1 configuration initially (sub, L R and centre). For the sub I found that I should set the crossover at 120Hz but not clear about the other speakers. Have configured them as "small" but their specs according to the manual are 110Hz for L and R and 100Hz for the centre speaker. Should I use these values for the crossover?

Permabanned
What receiver are you using?

Looking at those speakers the crossover would probably be set at 120Hz - 150Hz...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd it's one of those htib you may find the mai n unit has eq applied to the speakers and they usually have crazy low 4 ohm impedance

Isn't it 8 Ohm according to specs?

SCS200.5/230
Frequency Response 35Hz – 20kHz (–6dB)
SATELLITES
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power
100 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak)
50W/160W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity 86dB @ 1 Watt/1 meter
Frequency Response 110Hz – 20kHz (–6dB)
Tweeter
One 13mm (1/2") titanium-laminate dome,
video-shielded
Midrange
One 75mm (3") driver, video-shielded

Soldato
Doesn't make sense as you can have speakers with same driver and cabinet size but difference specs. The materials used surely make a difference?

Not really no.if you get two 12" subs both ported both cabinet size they will usually be close frequency response.

With that -6db figure pretty much set it fair bit higher than that. I'd set to 160hz. Also that is quite insensitive speaker it needs a lot of power. My massive speakers with multiplr drivers, three 8", one 6.5" and one 1" treble require less power to have the same dB output. Your speakers need twice as much power..

Associate
OP
I thought that the geometry and the material of the of the cabinet make a difference.
The trade-off for the smaller size is a higher power requirement.

Permabanned
120 for sub and 120 for central 130 for L/R

I would set all satellites and the centre to 140Hz, your sub is good up to 160Hz.

You will need to place you sub close to the centre channel as part of the dialogue will be going through the sub.

Also try 120Hz on everything and see how it sounds, your ears will be the best judge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom