• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Soldato
Because you're one of those people that benefit from mainly single threaded performance, of which there are many. There are also many that benefit from higher core count. The key is to work out which one you are before spending hundreds changing your system.
Your right but it’s not many it’s most.

I should have gone for an I7 9700k or 8700k which would have given me extra cores and maintained clock speed. Win win.. Sigh...

I can sit and hope with everyone else that Zen 2 will at least match intel in clockspeed and drop one in (which I’m happy to do) but even if it does it’s no guarantee that it will work better than intel as most software is optimised for Intel

Soldato
I'm in the same boat as Easyrider, when i was buying my pc, best was intel, bought i7 920, that machine lasted far too many years, but that's why i was buying x58 in the first place, needed logelivity, as it served my right. Then after many years upgraded my gpu, and was some problems with mobo not having eufi bios. This time round i got Ryzen, this wasn't an upgrade it was a side step. But machine is doing a very good job, now i only swap my cpu when new ones comes out. Happy to be in AMD boat, and hopefully it wont disappoint. As i never liked Intel, but x58 did a grate job, i take my hat off for them.
Going from X58 Xeon to say an R5 2600(X) would result in a pretty big IPC jump, lower power usage, and a bunch of new features, but the same number of cores and similar clock speeds. Definitely looking forward to Ryzen 3000. :D

My gf still has a stock i5-2500K and it's pegged in a few newer games now. I considered getting an i7-3770(K) but they go for £60+ still and it won't help in any game that doesn't use SMT. Considering we could completely replacing her base system with an R5 2600, B450 Tomahawk, and some half decent RAM for ~£310 it seems silly to invest in the old system now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your right but it’s not many it’s most.

I should have gone for an I7 9700k or 8700k which would have given me extra cores and maintained clock speed. Win win.. Sigh...

I can sit and hope with everyone else that Zen 2 will at least match intel in clockspeed and drop one in (which I’m happy to do) but even if it does it’s no guarantee that it will work better than intel as most software is optimised for Intel

Most also don't overclock, and most also have a budget that doesn't include the most expensive equipment.

So intel definitely wins if gaming is mostly what you do, but as far as clock speed goes, and when taking price into comparison. You're basically looking at intel down to the £200 mark, then AMD below that by my reckoning.

Soldato
Ive just switched from 6700k @ 4.6ghz to a 2700 @ 4ghz.

Couldnt be happier. Its my first AMD CPU since an athlonx4.

Compared to the 6700k it is considerably cooler and therefore quiet!

All while getting nearly double the cinebench score.

Soldato
and if all you do all day is bench cinebench than that was 100% the right move.
now over in the real world what do you use your system for?
Bit of everything. Photoshop. Video editing, gaming.

This pc is going to have to last me as long as possible so grabbing more cores seemed like the best way to keep me "future proof."

Soldato
Ive just switched from 6700k @ 4.6ghz to a 2700 @ 4ghz.

Couldnt be happier. Its my first AMD CPU since an athlonx4.

Compared to the 6700k it is considerably cooler and therefore quiet!

All while getting nearly double the cinebench score.
I’m using a Dark rock pro 3 air cooler and my 5ghz delidded i7 7700k was pretty silent but at stock my 2700x is quieter, if I oc it even a tiny bit it gets noisy but perform ace from an oc is negligible so it’s not really worth it.

I use Lightroom and ps for stills but don’t do encoding and both programs are definitely optimised for Intel. Whilst batch processing is quicker in the 2700x that’s probably about 0.01% of my use so it’s neither here nor there.

In the positive side tabbing between apps is smoother and I can have more programs running at once with the 2700x.

Soldato
I plan to switch from an I7 5820K to, if the rumours are true, a 12 core highly clocked Ryzen 7 3700X. This will be my first AMD CPU since the venerable AMD Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1GHz and I'm looking forward to it. I hated the stagnation and lack of progress from Intel until Ryzen showed up, including their use of cheap TIM on their enthusiast parts.

Soldato
I responded, Xeons are found cheap second hand or when EOL, not at the time of launch. Intel charged a premium for extra cores rather than slowly introducing them into consumer products at an affordable price. Second hand vs new products years later is a different issue altogether and yes, there Xeons have plenty of merit and good prices but that's not what I'm getting at.

Again, I don’t think you understood what I actually said, ES and QS chips are available *before* retail parts, with a little knowledge, you can in some cases buy retail stepping chips for significantly less than retail price.

Soldato
I plan to switch from an I7 5820K to, if the rumours are true, a 12 core highly clocked Ryzen 7 3700X. This will be my first AMD CPU since the venerable AMD Athlon 'Thunderbird' 1GHz and I'm looking forward to it. I hated the stagnation and lack of progress from Intel until Ryzen showed up, including their use of cheap TIM on their enthusiast parts.
off topic but I still have one of those in my windows 98 machine :)

Associate
Thank you to all the loyal AMD fans who bought FX chips and AMD GPUs. Otherwise AMD wouldn't have had enough R&D for Ryzen and Intel would still be pushing 4 cores on most of their line up.

This was me purely by chance, I'd been out of the game for some time. Back in 2010ish I ended buying an fx8120 and crossfired 6850's. At the time 2500k was the equivalent but so much more expensive. I still believe the FX chips got an unfair share of of a beating, a friend of mine is still running it now, it's tootling a long playing the division and insurgency just fine.

As my PC is my hobby (I cannot claim I am an enthusiast) nothing is better than competition in the marketplace to drive prices down.
I have not bothered with AMD since their AMD 64 x2 days.
I really hope AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen performs well, because I want one :).

Associate
As my PC is my hobby (I cannot claim I am an enthusiast) nothing is better than competition in the marketplace to drive prices down.
I have not bothered with AMD since their AMD 64 x2 days.
I really hope AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen performs well, because I want one :).
Yes.

Please let the games begin. AMD take em to the cleaners and shake up the consumer CPU space! (And if you have time something decent for the GPU high end would be awesome kthxbye).

Yes.

Please let the games begin. AMD take em to the cleaners and shake up the consumer CPU space! (And if you have time something decent for the GPU high end would be awesome kthxbye).
I have sold my R9 290 on the MM and now have a 980Ti. It is sad when a 4 year old GPU is an upgrade. Can't justify the £££ on a newer one!
Back on topic - I look forward to AMD's mid-year CPU refresh :).

Permabanned
I have sold my R9 290 on the MM and now have a 980Ti. It is sad when a 4 year old GPU is an upgrade. Can't justify the £££ on a newer one!

with the res your playing at depending on the game i think a CPU upgrade would have helped more/too
even at 4.4 that gen of CPU 2500k/3570k are on the way out now.

Soldato
Not really sad as the 980Ti card is still a great GPU, even at 1440p. It would definitely benefit from more than a 4 core 4 thread Ivybridge i5 at 4.4Ghz. ;)

Back
Top Bottom