• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Caporegime
intel isn't successful in the true meaning of the word. It just desperately tries to enforce its own views and products upon the world.

successful
/səkˈsɛsfʊl,səkˈsɛsf(ə)l/
adjective
  1. accomplishing a desired aim or result.

Intels main objective is to make profit. It does this....Pretty much like any business tries to do...Stop it with you extremist views...

Soldato
It hasn't. AMD is still present and rocking :D

I find that people that worship these massive, dominant businesses are quite often dictators themselves. Imagine the world we would live in if every industry was dominated by one company. I very much doubt there would be much altruism.

It's time there was more separation of power in the business world as there is in politics. No one wants the politicians running the judiciary, police and the church. I don't want the same company controlling everything I buy and watch and all the services I use. We're not there but we're on the way...

Associate
It hasn't. AMD is still present and rocking :D

AMD is still present and rocking because US laws forbid Intel from driving AMD into oblivion.

To give an example one particular Pentium chip was manufactured by Intel's "virtual factory" for around 8 weeks before Xmas and achieved their output target early(around two weeks early IIRC), the extra output in those two weeks alone was greater than AMD's annual production. Intel could quite easily have crushed AMD if they were allowed to.

Permabanned
AMD is still present and rocking because US laws forbid Intel from driving AMD into oblivion.

To give an example one particular Pentium chip was manufactured by Intel's "virtual factory" for around 8 weeks before Xmas and achieved their output target early(around two weeks early IIRC), the extra output in those two weeks alone was greater than AMD's annual production. Intel could quite easily have crushed AMD if they were allowed to.

how many console chip and GPU'a did intel make in the time frame.

Soldato

Does Dg have a new account??

Permabanned
Hi.

I have been exclusively using Intel CPUs for so long now (put it this way, the last AMD CPU I used was an Athlon XP), that I have inadvertently come to see them as the only choice.

I eventually stopped reading anything on AMD updates as they always seemed to be the lesser choice, compared to Intel - not a conscious decision but happened nevertheless.

There suddenly seems to have been a huge resurgence by AMD and I am trying to get up-to-speed with why/how this has all happened.

I was just looking for opinions on whether AMD and Intel truly are on an equal footing again or whether it is more of a "depends".

As I said, I am not an Intel fan by any means (their socket policy is particularly irritating), it just seems that AMDs progress sort of led me that way.

AMD still behind by quite some margin on single core performance... so for gaming, general windows tasks and most things really... Intel still the best by far.

Only if you're encoding/rendering on a tight budget would make AMD the choice for you.

Soldato
Been Intel the last 10 years and switched to Ryzen for a change and happy with it for my needs as I'm not chasing the max fps numbers thanks to the res I play at and gsync.

Soldato
AMD still behind by quite some margin on single core performance... so for gaming, general windows tasks and most things really... Intel still the best by far.

Only if you're encoding/rendering on a tight budget would make AMD the choice for you.
"by far" and "quite some margin" is a bit extreme. In many games they are an eye for an eye. Especially if your gaming at something other than a 2008 "esports" resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
... so for gaming, general windows tasks and most things really... Intel still the best by far.

Not really. If you stick to 60fps area, either at lower res or 4k, AMD offers plenty of performance. That extra power Intel may offer only is palpable in some scenarios here and there.
I went with Ryzen 2600x and 2080. Enough performance to spare within that CPU in most games I've tried.

Last edited:
Permabanned
"by far" and "quite some margin" is a bit extreme. In many games they are an eye for an eye.
Not really. If you stick to 60fps area, either at lower res or 4k, AMD offers plenty of performance. That extra power Intel may offer only is palpable in some scenarios here and there.
I went with Ryzen 2600x and 2080. Enough performance to spare within that CPU.

Difference is quite substantial in both max, min and average frame rates where CPU limited. 15-25% is a big margin in my book & shown clearly by the main review sites... I just checked guru3d, trustedreviews & tomshardware... all agree.

At 4k, you're more likely to be GPU limited. So Max frame rate may not differ much... but minimum frame rate will differ noticeably & that will make the game more playable.

Soldato
Won't call myself a fanboy but was put of AMD stuff in the past and they had of course become uncompetitive for a long while. However, after using Intel CPU's for years I picked up a 1950X and it was fantastic. I don't have it now but only because I didn't need the 16 cores for a while and planned to upgrade to Zen 2 this year. The games I played at 1440P and bothered comparing I didn't find much difference between the 1950X and the 6700K (a few FPS).
The Zen CPU's are pretty good especially if you do more with the PC than just gaming and if you can put the cores to use. Next system I'm hoping to keep for 5+ years so really hope AMD pull off high clock speeds on the 16 core part. Doesn't have to be 5Ghz though but a nice bump from what the 2950X currently achieves will be good.

Associate
Difference is quite substantial in both max, min and average frame rates where CPU limited. 15-25% is a big margin in my book & shown clearly by the main review sites... I just checked guru3d, trustedreviews & tomshardware... all agree.

At 4k, you're more likely to be GPU limited. So Max frame rate may not differ much... but minimum frame rate will differ noticeably & that will make the game more playable.

So, in PUBG which will i pick?

https://i.imgur.com/PNGvuqY.png

Soldato

Well, I did say If you stick to 60fps area, so if you're v sync @ 60 fps is pointless that intel does 80-90 fps while amd does 70-85 or whatever the numbers are.

Associate
how many console chip and GPU'a did intel make in the time frame.

I am not sure, what I do know is in the fab I worked we were not just producing this one product, we were also making a lot of other chips. The point I was making was that Intel was/is not going all out to destroy AMD, so that surely is a good thing, as we now see new AMD chips putting the pressure back on Intel, hopefully that is a win for everyone?

Permabanned
I am not sure, what I do know is in the fab I worked we were not just producing this one product, we were also making a lot of other chips. The point I was making was that Intel was/is not going all out to destroy AMD, so that surely is a good thing, as we now see new AMD chips putting the pressure back on Intel, hopefully that is a win for everyone?

what fab do you work in?

Back
Top Bottom