Neighbour Complaint About Gas Flue

Soldato
We had a new combi boiler fitted at the end of last week by British Gas. We live on the ground floor of a set of flats. We're on the end, next to a semi detached house.

I've just had a polite note dropped through the door from these neighbours asking if the flue can be directed upwards as it currently points out over where they sit in the garden. (I'm not sure if perhaps they might be a bit higher up than our ground level)

I've tried to google it, but I seem to get information about having the flue itself adjusted. What I want to know, can I literally attach something to the wall at an angle of 45° in front of the flue to direct the gasses skyward?

Soldato
OP
no .. you will get water/rain back into your system ..
it should be going straight out ? and the heat/fumes should only travel a foot or so before dispersing.
is there a foot or 2 between you and there property line ?

Yeah, there's a path down the side of the building, then their house.

Dont think you can personally mess with the flue as you need to be gas registered.

May be wrong tho.

Yeah, I was thinking of calling British Gas on Monday and asking them about it. I know I said 'can I' but I likely wouldn't attempt it myself, more about can it be done I guess.

Soldato
OP
It's part of the flats property.

Tbh, if we can do anything, I would prefer to. I'm a good neighbour like that. If nothing can be done, so be it and I would have a chat with them to say I've looked into it... etc...

On a side note, what would people think if there is a cost, that we ask them to pay?

Soldato
OP
Personally I'd ask to go halves on it depending on the amount

Yeah, I was toying with that, but also part of me thinks if it meets all regulations at this point, why should I spend money on it? I guess it would be interesting to see what they say if I said 'it will cost £300, I would like you to pay half'. I would perhaps then see how big an issue it is for them. I did wonder if I should just ask them to add a little bit to their fence, which I assume would solve the problem too?

What changed between this one and the old one?

I guess maybe the power of it? We did go for quite a powerful one to ensure we always have plenty of hot water available :) (Probably overkill for two in a small flat!)

Soldato
OP
Actually, maybe because it's smaller? The air pressure would be higher, right? Like when you cover over the end of a hose with your finger?

SrVmexDl.jpg

The brickie is yet to come to finish the hole in.

Associate
Regs are 600mm between flue and boundary unless causing a nuisance, so if they are really fussed you could have a plume diverter fitted to angle it to the left or right but they will still see it regardless

Associate
Our neighbours had a new boiler and the plume from the flue jetted straight at our landing window. After a polite word they had a right-angle flue kit fitted which fixed the problem, so it can be done.

Soldato
Your neighbours obviously have way too much time on their hands if that is what is annoying them!

To be fair I don't think I'd be impressed if I could smell a boiler exhaust from my patio that I couldn't smell before either....

On the estate I live on the flues are all very close to the front doors of all the houses, getting a lung full of exhaust when knocking on someones door or unlocking my own door really isn't pleasant. I feel sorry for the postman having to do 50 in a row....

Back
Top Bottom