A New Dimension in Luxury Motoring

Soldato
This thread has got me wanting a new toy in the form of a Cosworth scoprio estate again.
Just priced up insuring one, £240 fully comp on a limited mileage policy. Knew there was a plus side of getting old! :D

My last one cost me 4 figures to insure.

Man of Honour
Each to there own, I've always like the Scorpio estate, just because its not a £100k supercar doesn't mean it can't be fun or enjoyable to drive.
Too much snobbery in the world these days IMO

It's nothing to do with snobby, I like them and I would say the same thing about my own car. These were amazing daily use cars and as a result make quite poor toys. In its day it was great but it's now just a very old not particularly powerful or swift estate car. A toy would surely be something like an MX5.

Caporegime
It's nothing to do with snobby, I like them and I would say the same thing about my own car. These were amazing daily use cars and as a result make quite poor toys. In its day it was great but it's now just a very old not particularly powerful or swift estate car. A toy would surely be something like an MX5.

To you perhaps, as he said, each to their own. I could drive a double decker bus as a toy if I enjoy it, why not?

An MX5 would be infinitely more fun to drive though.

Caporegime
Each to there own, I've always like the Scorpio estate, just because its not a £100k supercar doesn't mean it can't be fun or enjoyable to drive.
Too much snobbery in the world these days IMO

Nothing to do with snobby, merely an indication that some people are incapable of understanding that what works for them doesn't necessarily work for others. I agree, ab old luxobarge made of leather and wood with a silly engine in it could be great fun, not everything needs to have razer sharp handling to be fun.

Man of Honour
Which in a car like that is plenty.

Yes quite but not in a toy. It's a useful tip bus sure but weekend toy?

Don't get me wrong a big barge is very much my thing, more so than a sports car, but what makes them good makes them really quite useless as a special weekend toy imo.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Am I missing something with the Scorpio cosworth? It seems like an utter lemon.

190hp, any of its contemporary rivals are probably faster, what makes this thing special? Bmw, Mercedes, even Vauxhall, all had regular model engines better than this thing has?

What makes thing desirable over say an e300 of the era? Or an Omega V6? No one ever mentions those...

Caporegime
Am I missing something with the Scorpio cosworth? It seems like an utter lemon.

190hp, any of its contemporary rivals are probably faster, what makes this thing special? Bmw, Mercedes, even Vauxhall, all had regular model engines better than this thing has?

What makes thing desirable over say an e300 of the era? Or an Omega V6? No one ever mentions those...
The engine.

A 2.9i 24V Cosworth fettled V6, I remember my dad having one as a weekend loan car prior to changing his '89 plate 2.9 Scorpio, it was a world away from the lump it was derived from (the same 2.9 in his then car) where the standard lump had pushrod chatter, the 24V just pulled like a train, with a lovely howl.

The rest of the car was starting to lag behind the opposition by the 90's but the engine was a peach.

He ultimately though went for an e34 530i (I6) as did most of Fords former Granada customers, which is why in that segement of the market these days they don't bother with the big exec cars any more.

Man of Honour
The engine

It's a 190bhp almost 3 litre V6. In 1996 when the Scorpio was on the market there was absolutely nothing standout about that. The 528i was the same, as was the Omega Elite etc. An Omega Elite Estate was quite a thing too but you wouldn't use one of those as a weekend toy either :p

Caporegime
It's a 190bhp almost 3 litre V6. In 1996 when the Scorpio was on the market there was absolutely nothing standout about that. The 528i was the same, as was the Omega Elite etc. An Omega Elite Estate was quite a thing too but you wouldn't use one of those as a weekend toy either :p

The words of a man who's never been in one. :p

Ultimately, the Granada's across the years have always hankered after a really decent engine offering, the 24V Cosworth variant was that, it was no major shakes outside the Ford community but within it was a huge leap, it drove far better than the figures suggest.

Don
I drove one of the late Mk3s with the 24V lump in it for about 300 miles and it was pretty unremarkable. Sorry, and this is coming from someone who loved Granadas when they were in their heyday.
The main issue was the awful Ford 4-speed gearbox. Always hunting for gears and getting confused.

Back
Top Bottom