My shiny new Samsung LC49J89 49" 32:9 Ultra-Wide Curved Monitor

Soldato
Bought this a few day and it looks truely amazing (shame they dont do it in silver). its so wide. I was concerned about the text being small as its stupidly wide but the text on the 1080 version, I would say was about spot on, not too big but not too small to give you eys strain after a few hrs of using this screen for reading.

I am amazed how many of my games can be run at the full res of 3840x1080 as I thought my good old r9 290 gpu would straggle badly, but it runs Dirt Rally, Alien Isolation, Grid2, Grid Autosport and DOOM maxed out silky smooth. But games look stretch at the last 2-3 inches left and right of the screen though. Because of this FPS games do look better at 2560x1080 as is cuts the last 2-3 inches off the screen where it looks stretched... Anyone know why this happens and is there anyway to fix it?

So.... brilliant monitor and I couldn't of asked for anything better accept they could have done a silver version. But it has that wow factor, its like going from a CRT monitor to a LCD.

Cnfa2Ie.jpg
Sweet gaming chair bro :p

Soldato
I wonder why people hasnt brought this problem up before now about the superwide screens, are people blind to the stretchyness in games or maybe people dont want to see the problem after spending loads on a monitor...

But I guess this problem will only be fixed if superwide screens takes off for gaming, I hope there not just a gimmick like the 3d tv was and fade out in a few years time.

But these monitors are awesome for games like this, and there's no stretchyness to be seen either.............

z8Snye9.jpg

Well, not many people own a super ultra wide on these forums yet. It's still visible on a 21:9 screen but it's only slight and not a problem at all, IMO.

Also, it's less obvious the closer you are to the screen. So if you sit further back than the average user you are more likely to notice it.

Soldato
OP
Well, not many people own a super ultra wide on these forums yet. It's still visible on a 21:9 screen but it's only slight and not a problem at all, IMO.

Also, it's less obvious the closer you are to the screen. So if you sit further back than the average user you are more likely to notice it.

I have noticed that some games are worse then others for being stretched. But I will just run most of my games in 21:9 (2560x1080) and keep my fingers and toes crossed that the problem gets sorted out in time.

Soldato
I have noticed that some games are worse then others for being stretched. But I will just run most of my games in 21:9 (2560x1080) and keep my fingers and toes crossed that the problem gets sorted out in time.

It's inherent, and won't ever be fully resolved. There will never be mass adoption of 32:9 screens, and there are still plenty of games which can be a bit awkward even at 21:9 (although that does work far better).

Soldato
OP
The screen is great for map games, as you have the upper hand in multiplayer... Its great in any game really, Im just a bit disappointed with the stretching in other games, but I will have to make do with 21:9, the stretching is still there but its not as noticeable...

But its a great screen accept for that and with my old 27" I was constantly moving the windows all over the place as they were hiding under other windows ect, I dont have that problem with this beast of a screen.

Associate
Bought this a few day and it looks truely amazing (shame they dont do it in silver). its so wide. I was concerned about the text being small as its stupidly wide but the text on the 1080 version, I would say was about spot on, not too big but not too small to give you eys strain after a few hrs of using this screen for reading.

I am amazed how many of my games can be run at the full res of 3840x1080 as I thought my good old r9 290 gpu would straggle badly, but it runs Dirt Rally, Alien Isolation, Grid2, Grid Autosport and DOOM maxed out silky smooth. But games look stretch at the last 2-3 inches left and right of the screen though. Because of this FPS games do look better at 2560x1080 as is cuts the last 2-3 inches off the screen where it looks stretched... Anyone know why this happens and is there anyway to fix it?

So.... brilliant monitor and I couldn't of asked for anything better accept they could have done a silver version. But it has that wow factor, its like going from a CRT monitor to a LCD.

Cnfa2Ie.jpg
Just wondering what you would consider "silky smooth" as a r9 290 at 1080 would get around 35 fps on doom on max settings and your monitor is double the pixels of that which would mean roughly around 18-20 fps :o

Soldato
OP
I had a 49" Samsung for a short time, but in all honesty preferred my Gsync Ultrawide and just pulled it closer a couple of inches ;) :D
All you do is make a custom resolution in the ati/nvida panel, I have made 2560x1080(ultrawide resolution) and when using the resolution I get the black bars.. But with some games they get stretched, so I have no choice but to use the full resolution, as I hate it being stretched

Just wondering what you would consider "silky smooth" as a r9 290 at 1080 would get around 35 fps on doom on max settings and your monitor is double the pixels of that which would mean roughly around 18-20 fps :o
I havent ever looked at the fps in doom, but it must be over 30fps as I can tell the chuggyness at 30fps or lower. but I run doom in 2560x1080 because the stretching is more noticeable at 3840x1080

Associate
All you do is make a custom resolution in the ati/nvida panel, I have made 2560x1080(ultrawide resolution) and when using the resolution I get the black bars.. But with some games they get stretched, so I have no choice but to use the full resolution, as I hate it being stretched

I havent ever looked at the fps in doom, but it must be over 30fps as I can tell the chuggyness at 30fps or lower. but I run doom in 2560x1080 because the stretching is more noticeable at 3840x1080

So you describe 30fps and just over as silky smooth :O
I doubt very seriously with that gpu and that resolution you are getting even 30 as at 1080 it would get around 35
Maybe i am spoiled but i cannot bear anything below 60fps as a minimum.
Hmmmm even more spoiled than i realised as i get to game on my brothers pc at 4k 60fps minimum on a 55inch screen and 11.1 sound :D

Soldato
OP
You would be amazed how capable the old r9 290 still is. I can run quite a few games that I play at 3840x1080 smoothly with no chugging, but I run 1 or 2 of those games in 2560x1080 as I cant do with the stretchyness. Plus the upgrade from the i5 to the i7 has increased the fps too, not by much though, but every fps helps;)...... Im thinking that might be my next upgrade for next year, a new gpu.

50-60 is smooth enough for me

Last edited:
Associate
You would be amazed how capable the old r9 290 still is. I can run quite a few games that I play at 3840x1080 smoothly with no chugging, but I run 1 or 2 of those games in 2560x1080 as I cant do with the stretchyness. Plus the upgrade from the i5 to the i7 has increased the fps too, not by much though, but every fps helps;)...... Im thinking that might be my next upgrade for next year, a new gpu.

50-60 is smooth enough for me

I used to have a 290 so im very aware of what they can do and its not what you are saying.
The other games you mentioned like grid i have no trouble believing run at 3840x1080 acceptably, but first you claim that you run all these games maxed out silky smooth then when pointed out no way doom runs maxed out at over 30-35fps it changes to 30fps is enough for me its silky smooth(it really isnt) then in your last post it changes again to 50-60 is smooth enough for me. No way are you getting 50-60 on some of them games at 2560x1080 with that gpu at max settings. It simply is not powerful enough. so either you have a miracle pc or you are stretching the truth.

Soldato
OP
Doom 2016

I have checked and with a res of 3840x1080 with high gfx, the fps drops to low 40s, slightly chuggy.

With a res of 2560x1080 with high gfx the fps drop to high 50s, perfectly smooth.

and no of course you cant play the top games at max detail, even at 1920x1080 they chug, but medium to high detail in games are fine with me.

Last edited:
Associate
Doom 2016

I have checked and with a res of 3840x1080 with high gfx, the fps drops to low 40s, slightly chuggy.

With a res of 2560x1080 with high gfx the fps drop to high 50s, perfectly smooth.

and no of course you cant play the top games at max detail, even at 1920x1080 they chug, but medium to high detail in games are fine with me.

Fair enough, but you do admit then to stretching the truth with the max detail silky smooth comment you made because its just not either. Funny how you say one thing then change it completely when someone questions you about the truth. I just dont see why someone needs to tell porkys to try and make themselves look better on a forum where nobody knows them and other members who have knowledge would instantly know what they are reading is just plain fabrication. Its a bit pathetic really.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, but you do admit then to stretching the truth with the max detail silky smooth comment you made because its just not either. Funny how you say one thing then change it completely when someone questions you about the truth. I just dont see why someone needs to tell porkys to try and make themselves look better on a forum where nobody knows them and other members who have knowledge would instantly know what they are reading is just plain fabrication. Its a bit pathetic really.
I didnt say max detail, I said I can run quite a few games at full resolution. But saying that Grid 2, Griid autosport, Alien Isolation and Dirt Rally will run at full detail at 3840x1080, and they run real smooth.

Look for a Field of View (FOV) option and increase it.
I have messed around with that but it doesnt improve the stretchyness.

Back
Top Bottom