• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Well Ryzen 1 ~matched Broadwell-E IPC wise, and 3800X is 15% increased IPC on that.

So if your 5820K was clocked at 4.5Ghz, the 3800X would still be 20+% faster clock for clock. Should be a decent upgrade, not even including the vasty better RAM speeds you'll be able to get. Some Ryzen x570 motherboards showing XMP speeds upto to 4400Mhz; and Ryzen performance increases as RAM speeds go up, and latency lowers.

In AMD's notes it simply states previous generation, I don't think they've confirmed if it's one or the other

[^2 Testing by AMD Performance Labs as of 5/23.2918 AMD “Zen2” CPU-based
system scored an estimated 15% higher than previous generation AMD “Zen” based
system using estimated SPECint®_rate_base2006 results. SPEC and SPECint are
registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation.
See www.spec.org. GD-141]

We do get the Cinebench comparison with a 15% gain over the 2700X. I'm not sure how reliable this is for indicating IPC, though the extra 100mhz probably means first gen.

Either way, all good :)

Wzuw6DR.png

Soldato
In AMD's notes it simply states previous generation, I don't think they've confirmed if it's one or the other

[^2 Testing by AMD Performance Labs as of 5/23.2918 AMD “Zen2” CPU-based
system scored an estimated 15% higher than previous generation AMD “Zen” based
system using estimated SPECint®_rate_base2006 results. SPEC and SPECint are
registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation.
See www.spec.org. GD-141]

We do get the Cinebench comparison with a 15% gain over the 2700X. I'm not sure how reliable this is for indicating IPC, though the extra 100mhz probably means first gen.

Wzuw6DR.png
Yeah, 4.3 GHz to 4.4 GHz maximum boost yet 15% increase in performance is fantastic. Haven't seen that kind of leap since Haswell (2013) at least.

Soldato

Cinebench is pretty accurate, and so far all AMD's CPU benches since Ryzen 1800X previews have been also.

This is their slide comparing 1800X vs 3900X in Cinebench, and that's only 100mhz more than 3800X.
So it seems the 15% increase is in relation to Zen+, not Zen1.

If you're on Broadwell-E, Haswell, Sandy/Ivy Bridge, or anything prior to Zen+, these are massive upgrades.

wChTFPL.jpg

Even Skylake-X is getting stomped.

RWPioDt.jpg

Don
Disappointed AMD are holding back the 16cores, entirely possible that demand in servers is going to be so high they might not ever see the light of day on AM4 for consumers.

I'd be happy if they released a few more higher boosting (4ghz+) low-core (8 or 12) count server parts - I unfortunately don't need a lot of cores, just need a few high clocked ones.

(the only one presently available is EPYC 7371 16 3.1GHz 3.8GHz)

Next servers I buy will likely be AMD Based though.

Associate
Got to remember that a lot of intels gaming dominance comes from clock speeds, being 10-15% higher than AMD gives them that single core/low core speed win.
Now i suspect that is all out the window, while the 3800 is not quite as high as intels chips it prob wont end up far off it with xfr or an overclock (hopefully) and with that big ipc improvement along with drops in latency i cant see the gaming argument going much further.

Associate
Got to remember that a lot of intels gaming dominance comes from clock speeds, being 10-15% higher than AMD gives them that single core/low core speed win.
Now i suspect that is all out the window, while the 3800 is not quite as high as intels chips it prob wont end up far off it with xfr or an overclock (hopefully) and with that big ipc improvement along with drops in latency i cant see the gaming argument going much further.

People will argue over +/- 5% though, just how it is!

One CPU gets 650 FPS on CSGO the other gets 682 then 'OMG AMD/INTEL TRASH FOR GAMING'

Associate
LMAO
4K8KW10 said:
I need the 12C/24T part but I am not going to pay €500 to get it.

Intel's ludicrus overpricing is OK. AMD pricing is ripping us off.

Choices, Choices - lol

Soldato
cobbled together by AMD ???
LMAO
What's your issue, they clearly said that "we built" the PUBG benchmark and that it matched the 9900K. If there was any way that they could cobble together a benchmark in any modern game showing the 3800X beating the 9900K don't you think they would have shown it? They will always showcase the best case scenarios which in this case was an AMD developed benchmark only managing to match the 9900K.

Last edited:
Associate
What's your issue, they clearly said that "we built" the PUBG benchmark and that it matched the 9900K. If there was any way that they could cobble together a benchmark showing the 3800X beating the 9900K don't you think they would have shown it, they will always showcase the best case scenarios which in this case was an AMD developed benchmark managing to match the 9900K.
Oh, right it's not cobbled together it's fake then. Maybe AMD will one day be rich enough to be able to develop there own benchmark compilers and use them instead of Intels.

Associate
What's your issue, they clearly said that "we built" the PUBG benchmark and that it matched the 9900K. If there was any way that they could cobble together a benchmark in any modern game showing the 3800X beating the 9900K don't you think they would have shown it? They will always showcase the best case scenarios which in this case was an AMD developed benchmark only managing to match the 9900K.

Having another look the 3800x is actually faster , hitting 147 mostly whilst the 9900k hitting 144.

Soldato
Why are all the Amd Fans being so defensive, for £500 you get the same gaming performance +- 10% as the 9900k. Fun times ahead.

It's not defensive but for £330 you get within 1% of single thread performance of the 9900k.

The other chips above the 3700x don't jump in single core but in multicore they shine and push ahead further.

Soldato
Having another look the 3800x is actually faster , hitting 147 mostly whilst the 9900k hitting 144.
So best case scenario the 3800X beats the 9900K by 2% in a single benchmark developed by AMD to showcase the performance of their CPU. Even AMD don't say they beat the 9900K just that they equal the performance. If the 3800X was truely a 9900K beater I would expect a whole lot more than a single in house benchmark to prove it especially at the product launch.

Soldato
It's not defensive but for £330 you get within 1% of single thread performance of the 9900k.
Urmm no the comparison with the 9900K was with the 3800X which is £399, it's quite possible that a 3800X and X570 motherboard will cost the same as a 9900K with a similar spec Z390 board give or take a round of beers.

Back
Top Bottom