• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I know, but I was a bit budget-constrained due to needed to make three systems when I built this - so I went for a cheaper Ryzen on an X470 now in the hope I'd be able to use to same board with a Zen2 CPU when they are released (and I'll have some money again!).

You should be able too, AMD said they would support the socket until 2020, I think even 7nm+ (Zen 3 Ryzen 4) CPU's in 2020 will work in these boards too, obviously they will release new boards too, but they will be optional, probably come with some added features like Precision boost 3 maybe even PCI-e 4.0, some more PCI-e lanes etc, they will probably be something like X570 boards, but the chips should still work in X470 boards with a bios update.

Like someone else said on here, they do have to be a little bit careful and keep something up their sleeve, even be careful that they don't cannibalise their Threadripper line of CPU's.

I think Zen 4 RyZen 5 is when we will see the big changes, PCI-e 4.0, DDR5, different socket maybe ???? they are looking at skipping the next die shrink and going straight to 3nm for those.

Soldato
OP
No I mean single threaded performance as in ipc*clockspeed. If this report is true, then there's potential for that to happen, but it's very early days and I'm not going to get excited until we start seeing samples getting leaked

That's just the problem at the moment, we know design is finished, and we all know production has started, Global foundries and TMSC have been all over the news at the moment about production, but the rest is all very top secret......we wont truly know until something leaks or engineering samples start appearing, the thought is a very nice thing, bit I wouldn't hold my breath, its all just speculation and rumours at the moment.

Soldato
OP
LMAO, Intel cant compete with this sort of tech yet, its just been mentioned recently that they brought the same glue that they accused AMD of using to glue the cores together in the 1st edition RyZens for their new Xeons, irony.

This is they Epyc chip, cant wait to see the mainstream AM4 part.

That looks like a very smug grin on Lisa Su's face :D

Get ready for Intel i7 10,7000000k 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ next sept.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A closer look:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13561/amd-previews-epyc-rome-processor-up-to-64-zen-2-cores

amd_rome-678_678x452.png

Two chiplets look smaller than a Ryzen CPU or APU!!

Just quoted you for use of the picture, but something im a bit confused about, there is one controller core in the middle, thats your memory controller, PCI-e etc etc, lets forget about that for now, you are left with 8 chiplets, smaller because of the die shrink (7nm)

If each of those chiplets are 8 core 16 thread each, (making it a total of 64 core 128 thread CPU) who said each chiplet only contains 1 CCX ?

each chiplet can still be 2 x 4 core CCX's stuck together, just smaller and faster because of the die shrink ? who and where does it say its 1 CCX that they've changed to handle 8 cores 16 threads.

anyone confirm this ?

Soldato
OP
I lost the feed a chunk of the way through - but I don't know if it has been confirmed to be 2 x 8 core CCX or if it is possible we are looking at 4 x 4 core CCX?

I would think that 4 x 4 core CCX would have been a simpler design challenge than 2 x 8.

Not certain it will really make a massive difference either way, it does seem certain that we are looking at 16 cores per chip.

Thanks, I don't remember hearing amd mention if each core or chiplet if you prefer is 1 X 8 core ccx, or 2 X 4 core ccx's glued together as Intel puts it, if it is still 2 X 4 core ccx's together to make one 8 core chiplet, then the latency issue between ccx's will remain, maybe a slight reduction due to the die shrink

2 words "mrs" and "gassing" whilst I was trying to watch, the audio wasn't very clear as it was.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Forgive me if im wrong but surely the CPU, Motherboard and GPU all need to be PCIE4 compliant, if one of these is not then no PCIE4? So therefore the Zen2 chips might be PCIE4 compliant but the X370 and X470 motherboards for instance are not and wont support PCIE4 Graphics cards... you would need to buy a new motherboard that features PCIE4, Zen2 CPU and then a PCIE4 rated GPU.

Yes that's right.

Maybe in motherboards it's something they can upgrade with a bios update as it just down to lanes on the board rather than controllers, not sure on that part.

Soldato
OP
So in simple terms, and how it was in the past and how it will be:
X470+zen2=pcie3 mode
X570+zen2=pcie4 mode
X570+zen+=pcie3 mode

This is assuming zen2 has pcie4

Yes it will be fully backwards compatible, AMD after all said they would support the socket until 2020, so Zen2 should even work perfectly fine with B350 and X370 motherboards too with a bios update, again it will be limited to PCI-e 3, unless X570, B550 etc bring anything new to the table other than PCI-e 4 then there will be no point upgrading to those boards as there are no PCI-e 4 devices about yet to take advantage of it, im sure they will add things like XFR 3 and Precision boost 3 though just like they did with X470 and B450, although the Zen+ CPU's worked fine in X370 and B350 boards, they missed out on these features and others like StoreMi.

Lets see how many people buy an X370, B350, B450 or X470 motherboard with a Zen2 CPU next April and complain that it doesn't work lol, if you don't have the previous generation of chip then don't buy the previous generations boards.

Soldato
OP
Yes, thats still impressive tho, current Ryzen has the same IPC as Coffeelake, this will put AMD <15% ahead in IPC, so a 4.7Ghz Ryzen 3700X would have the same performance as a 5.4Ghz 9900K

Remember though, AMD built this 7nm Zen2 to compete with Intels 10nm Ice Lake CPU which doesn't exist yet, not their coffee lake, I think (HOPE) we'll see it pass the 9900K ;)

Even if it does turn out to be a 15% IPC increase, that's still more than Intel have done all the way pretty much from Haswell to Coffee lake.

I bet they are very worried with all of these rumours flying around at the moment, the only way they can compete is to finish off their 10nm design, theres not even any point in them going to TMSC, same silicon, same process as AMD, there wouldn't be any performance advantage, it would come down to price wars and core wars, I suppose that's good for us though, Intel got too complacent, there was no immediate threat to them, they quite comfortably released 4 core 8 thread CPU's with slight clock increases and needed new boards to run them in, then came along Zen, which is why suddenly Intel are releasing 6 core 12 thread and 8 core 16 threads, otherwise they'd still be at 4 core 8 thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I want to see some really good quality motherboards for these new cpus. Not the poor relation version we sometimes seem to get. I tend to keep my system for a long time so it's worth investing a bit more.

I think we will, you can tell the difference between X470 vs X370, I don't think motherboard manufacturers thought AM4 was going to be so big and popular which is why they skimped a bit on the 1st edition boards, you can see the improvements on the 2nd edition boards, especially in the VRM area.

Id love to see an AM4 version of the MSI Z390 Godlike......id snap one of those up.

Soldato
OP
Save you all arguing, if I can find the video on youtube again i'll post it, I watch a lot of video's, so it may be a mission, but the last I heard Zen2 (RyZen 3) will only support DDR4 RAM, its due next April 2019, theres no point them supporting DDR5 as that's not out yet, Zen3 (RyZen 4) (the roadmap I saw said 7nm+) they will release 2 versions in 2020, one that supports DDR4 and one that supports DDR5, either way if you want to run DDR5 you're going to need a new motherboard, however, they may just release the CPU's to support both RAM types, it wouldn't be the 1st time that a motherboard has shipped with 4 RAM slots, 2 that support 1 type of ram and 2 that support another.

Heres a prime example, supports DDR2 and DDR3 and all of AMD's previous generation of CPU's https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292804876354?chn=ps

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-chipset-and-pcie-gen-4-support/
AMD Ryzen 3000 Series To Feature Support on X570 Chipset Based AM4 Boards – Allegedely The First Platform To Support PCIe 4.0, Launching at Computex 2019

Im hoping as far as RyZen 4000 incl, will be supported in our current socket, they did say that DDR5 will become available in 2020, but its still possible for RyZen to support DDR4 and DDR5

Hope you voted at the bottom of that link you provided, the results are quite funny !!!

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-chipset-and-pcie-gen-4-support/

Soldato
OP
Ain't that down to what the lanes the CPU has though? That's why the Eypc chips are good for Server due to PCI lanes that they have for things like multiple NVME, 10gibt ect

Yup it is, and 4 more PCI-e lanes from the CPU is all it would take for what @chrcoluk said to stop happening, and have the 2nd M.2 drive running at full speed like the first one without loosing anything (sharing lanes), I was hoping they would do this with Zen+, maybe it was too late to change it and they'll do it with Zen2.

At the moment we have 24, x16 for the GPU, splits to x8/x8 if using 2 GPU's, x4 for the 1st nvme drive, and the other x4 are dedicated to the chipset

Up it to 28 and it would be more like this: x16 for the GPU, (x8x8 SLi/CF), x4 for the 1st nvme slot, x4 for the 2nd nvme slot, final x4 dedicated to the chipset.

Soldato
OP
Agreed. I have dual M.2 but to have the second installed I would need to drop the GPU down to x8 - so I have only installed the one.

Its only ASUS who do it like this, every other board manufacturer has the 2nd M.2 slot running at PCI-e x4 2.0, unfortunately though, this only allows that 2nd nvme drive to run at half speed, that's what I was saying in my previous post, AMD would only have to add 4 more PCI-e lanes to their CPU's to stop this from happening, you could then have 2 nvme's running at full speed, without sacrificing anything else like reduced graphics performance or loosing the use of a PCI-e slot, SATA ports etc.

Soldato
OP
Mines been fine to be fair, just bios updates have dried up a bit. Was one a few days ago but all the release notes said was "stability improvements".....

I know they were going to skip 1.0.0.4 but I thought they'd release 1.0.0.6 by now, im getting higher RAM clocks on my MSI board and lower voltage on the CPU on 1.0.0.6, only a small margin, but every little counts...…..sounds like an ASDA advert lol

Back
Top Bottom