Ramadan Mubarak

Soldato
The first fast was fine. The second 2 were difficult as I haft headaches in the evenings. The others have been fine.

I haven't had a cup of tea since the start. Cut out a lot of junk, no fizzy drinks either!

Its just the lack of sleep that's an issue.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I missed 2 aswell, I had to head to Scotland for work. It’s the 1st times I’ve missed fasts for 10-15 years. Felt quite weird.

Managed the tiredness with micro naps and I’m just about coping. Had a decent month in terms of spirituality and general self control. Haven’t made it to taraveeh tho:(

Soldato
Missed one so far as travelling abroad to Qatar. Still here and the heat is unbearable during the day. Fasts are ~3hrs shorted than the UK but the near more than makes up for it. Flying back on Saturday so that'll be another one missed.
Been a good month overall but always feel like I could have done more.

Man of Honour
empathy for homeless/poor. closer to God..
To be fair both of these (and much more) can be done without any religious motivation whatsoever. It's simply called being a decent human being, and closer to god is subjective to the individual. Some people consider mother nature god, or just the universe itself :p

Just keep an open mind is all and as Bill and Ted always said, be excellent to one another.

Soldato
Anyone out there with exams this time of year, keep the fasting going if possible! Pythagoras would fast repeatedly in the build up to his exams, I've read that he wouldn't allow students to even enter his classes unless they'd been fasting! Socrates, Plato etc all knew some of the benefits of fasting.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Anyone out there with exams this time of year, keep the fasting going if possible! Pythagoras would fast repeatedly in the build up to his exams, I've read that he wouldn't allow students to even enter his classes unless they'd been fasting! Socrates, Plato etc all knew some of the benefits of fasting.

As much as the Greek philosophers had a lot of knowledge, in this area they weren't right. If you want your kids to do better at their exams and Ramadan falls over the exam period they would be better off delaying their fast. Lack of liquid is especially impactful on cognitive performance but hunger, thirst, late nights can all have a negative impact on memory and academic performance.

Soldato
Tiredness can definitely be a factor especially with the late nights if going to the mosque and then waking up pre-dawn. I've been fasting for years and I've yet to experience any substantial hunger or thirst. It's surprisingly easy. After 2 or 3 days of fasting your body adjusts to it, sharpness and clarity of thought seem to increase. I've always been able to continue my normal working routine without any issues, but I'm not one to stuff my face when opening the fast.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The evidence shows that it has a negative impact on exam performance. That may not be the case for everyone but personally, if I was Muslim, I would not have my kids fast during the exam period.

Soldato
There is probably just as much 'evidence' on the contrary though, it all depends on who is doing the research.

If Pythagoras, Plato, Socrates etc. all fasted to improve their own exam performance, it just reassures those who are fasting anyway that they needn't worry too much about any negative impact on exams.

As with most things though, it's 90% mental. If you've convinced yourself it's impossibly difficult you will probably find it difficult.

Soldato
Valid point, which is another reason why I welcome this month every year. I barely touch tea, coffee, fizzy drinks or chocolate for the entire month. I don't smoke anyway. I use it as a complete body detox, which again, isn't a bad thing in this day and age with the amount of rubbish we are putting into our bodies.

Back
Top Bottom