Why in 2019, do we still have this....

Caporegime
Buys a sub-£500 edge lit tv and complains it isn't perfect, hehe.

All technologies have their own pros and cons, you need to find your compromise at your budget level.

For me, I stick with direct-lit VA panels at the cheaper end of the spectrum, perfectly happy with with my super-cheap 50" Hisense A6200 (£250 bargain) in the lounge and ancient 32" Samsung H6400 in the bedroom.

I'll pick up a nice big OLED in 2020/21.

Soldato
You're not the only one it annoys, it's frighteningly obvious watching a dark show/film in a dark room.
uled, or, (increased contrast) projection technology, are about the only thing that will avoid the process variation inherent in led and oled panel production processes.

uled's should sell themselves, I can only imagine the imperious advertising they will employ, and the initial price.

Caporegime
It is a UE55NU7400.

I have researched FALD but even those have issues with blooming etc.

To be honest, i may just splash the cash on an OLED as it seems that even with expensive/top of the range LED's you can still get issues. I have watched videos of full array local dimming on some sets and even that is noticable and looks irritating.

I just find it incredible that manufacturers have made zero attempt to recitify this yet. I have had LED panels that have been brilliant (ie no bleed and great uniformity) in the past but they are few and far between and you have to go through many screens before you get a good one. However, if it is possible to have one with a uniform backlight, why do they not take the time to manufacturer them so they are all like it? I just think the variation from screen to screen is really crazy.

Like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq_lhHirPs

What is wrong with TV designers/engineers? Why would you ever want anything that does something like that ( in the above video). It just looks awful.

Just as I thought.

The only edge lit worth buying last year was the nu8000 and you bought lower than that.

Also the issues with FALD are greatly exaggerated and only seen by a trained eye in specific areas like that Julia Robert's in space movie with the mainly black space with bright stars taking up a dot on the screen.

I've not noticed any blooming on my xf90 under normal use.

Soldato
Why haven't manufacturers managed to stop this **** from happening yet with LED TV's?

I wanted to treat myself to a new bigger TV but have been through 3 sets now (2 different manufacturers) that all have the same/similar issues.

I got lucky ages ago with a 6 year old panasonic from a tesco sale which wasn't bad at all in this regard, but i was hoping by now manufacturers would have been able to stop this from happening....but no.

Do lots of people just not notice it or does it not bother them? I cant stand it.

I also don't understand how they can advertise with remarks about great blacks and colour accuracy etc when you get this rubbish.

I know you will all say get an oled but then ive read loads about the issues they have with uniformity and screen burn in/heat making discoloured spots etc.

Basically, are TV's just a big pile of excrement whatever amount of money you pay and should i give up buying a new one? :p

Honestly, you are buying a fairly low end large TV. They all have this. At best with local dimming, correct settings and a good model it's minimal.

However in real world viewing you barely notice it, if at all.

Unless you are an AV obsessive looking for it, in which case you will find it.

It's not a fault with the TV it is a feature and limitation of their design and construction.

I would say that it can often improve once the TV has been on for a few weeks.

I've never understood why people sit in the pitch dark taking pictures of completely black screens.

Is that your usual use-case?

What does it look like when you're actually watching something?

If it bothers you that much buy an OLED.

This is the answer and given OLED TVs are now priced where the large LED/LCD ones were a few years ago it's a no brainer.

Caporegime
OP
The answer is obvious - buy an OLED and not a cheap edge lit LED

Honestly, you are buying a fairly low end large TV. They all have this. At best with local dimming, correct settings and a good model it's minimal.

However in real world viewing you barely notice it, if at all.

Unless you are an AV obsessive looking for it, in which case you will find it.

It's not a fault with the TV it is a feature and limitation of their design and construction.

I would say that it can often improve once the TV has been on for a few weeks.

Agreed. It is clear all edge lit tv's are hot garbage. Local dimming is just the worst designed technology i can think of. I don't want bits of my screen lighting up and dimming down based on the fact there might be some extra bright bit somewhere on a black background. It never seems precise enough to have the desired affect.

OLED it is i think. Seems like it will be worth the money.

Caporegime
OP
What i don't understand, is why is it SO difficult to get a uniform and even light over the screen, even with an edge lit panel?

Soldato
You still haven’t said why you’re so upset by a bit of bleed which is probably only evident in very specific circumstances.

Is it worth spending £1500 on an OLED panel just to get around something you probably never notice anyway?

You evidently went looking for the problem in the first place which implies a knowledge of the potential, so why did you ever buy a TV that might be prone to bleed in the first place?

Caporegime
What i don't understand, is why is it SO difficult to get a uniform and even light over the screen, even with an edge lit panel?

It's a cheap TV cuts are made to technology, filter, electronics and panel as well as build quality in order to get such a large TV for so cheap.

People on here dont have a clue at the cost of making TVs. Remember the retailer had to make a profit. It had to be transported from Asia and they had to make a profit. It had to be packaged and have accessories included like remote, etc. The manufacturer needs to make a profit

All for peanuts.

So in reality the cost of that tv is such that it would be impossible for it to not have bleed.

Caporegime
OP
It's a cheap TV cuts are made to technology, filter, electronics and panel as well as build quality in order to get such a large TV for so cheap.

People on here dont have a clue at the cost of making TVs. Remember the retailer had to make a profit. It had to be transported from Asia and they had to make a profit. It had to be packaged and have accessories included like remote, etc. The manufacturer needs to make a profit

All for peanuts.

So in reality the cost of that tv is such that it would be impossible for it to not have bleed.

But the same problem is apparent even on £2k sets...?

Soldato
It’s happens on 2k “gaming” monitors too. Oled seems to be the only way to gaurantee it doesn’t happen

Soldato
:D to be honest the first thing I saw was the spinney buffering circle and thought you were complaining about slow Internet speeds.

I can't say I've ever noticed my TV doing that, but now you've pointed it out I'll probably start seeing it now.

Soldato
:D to be honest the first thing I saw was the spinney buffering circle and thought you were complaining about slow Internet speeds.

I can't say I've ever noticed my TV doing that, but now you've pointed it out I'll probably start seeing it now.

Watch game of thrones season 8 :)

Caporegime
But the same problem is apparent even on £2k sets...?

my tv was less than £1k and it doesn't happen on it.

Sony XF90 55"

because it's FALD it doesn't get bleed. blooming can happen in very specific circumstances.

OLED's aren't the answer either as they can suffer from banding, etc.

Caporegime
Is this a 4K or HD display? Because for the latter you can't beat plasma. Find a Panasonic VT or ZT series or a Pioneer Kuro.

Yeah don't have any of those issues on my Panasonic GT50 plasma. Which I have just sold and being picked up over the weekend. However it suffers from banding.

People saying X tv is the one to buy need to realise every TV is flawed and if you train yourself to look for these flaws you will find them on any tv.

Soldato
my tv was less than £1k and it doesn't happen on it.

Sony XF90 55"

because it's FALD it doesn't get bleed. blooming can happen in very specific circumstances.

OLED's aren't the answer either as they can suffer from banding, etc.

The XF90 is a great set but tell it like it is - Bleed exists as does bloom 48 Zones isn't enough to eliminate this and the specific circumstances are every night scene, and every time a light such as a car headlight moves across a dark scene this will also be emphasized with a HDR source.

Caporegime
The XF90 is a great set but tell it like it is - Bleed exists as does bloom 48 Zones isn't enough to eliminate this and the specific circumstances are every night scene, and every time a light such as a car headlight moves across a dark scene this will also be emphasized with a HDR source.

i am telling it like it is.

i've owned a GT50 for 6 years so I know what proper backs are and what a top panel should look like.

48 zones is good enough for most it's 6 rows by 8 rows. so you are talking a very small section it's restricted to. not across half the screen like OP.

I use the tv for gaming only though so i've not had much experience of night scenes. i did watch an episode of altered carbon and it's convinced me to sell the plasma and stick the xf90 in the bedroom.

Soldato
i am telling it like it is.

i've owned a GT50 for 6 years so I know what proper backs are and what a top panel should look like.

48 zones is good enough for most it's 6 rows by 8 rows. so you are talking a very small section it's restricted to. not across half the screen like OP.

I use the tv for gaming only though so i've not had much experience of night scenes. i did watch an episode of altered carbon and it's convinced me to sell the plasma and stick the xf90 in the bedroom.

I was originally looking at getting the XF90 but at the time stumped up the extra for the OLED as it was simply better. Blooming, grey blacks and bleed irritate me especially when paying north of ~£500 for a tv and all LCD based panels suffer from it to varying degrees.

Back
Top Bottom