Acer Predator CG437K P - 43", 4K, 144Hz, HDR-1000

Associate
For gaming, the drop to 4:2:2 in my testing really didn't make a difference. So I would run my X27 at 144 Hz for games and then drop down to 120 Hz to get Full RGB for desktop/text. Fine, highly contrasting items like text is really where chroma sub-sampling shows itself.

Soldato
OP
For gaming, the drop to 4:2:2 in my testing really didn't make a difference. So I would run my X27 at 144 Hz for games and then drop down to 120 Hz to get Full RGB for desktop/text. Fine, highly contrasting items like text is really where chroma sub-sampling shows itself.

With 4:2:2 chroma, is there ANY noticeable difference in any game you played?

Caporegime
I'm keen to make the leap to these screens from my Philips BDM4065UC, however I can't be doing with these connectivity shenanigans so will be waiting for HDMI2.1 to land in screens and GPUs.

Having to pee around with chroma and dual cables to get the full colour range in this day and age is a joke. HDMI standards always seen to be lagging and take ages to refresh.

Also needs VESA... if it doesn't have that then that's a deal breaker.

Associate
Ironically this will probably be released before the Asus ROG Strix XG438Q. Now considering Asus tend to have the expensive Asus tax for no reason then that will probably be more expensive maybe 2k !!

Associate
"
To take advantage of a 3840×2160 resolution at a 144 Hz refresh rate, gamers will need to connect the Predator CG437K P using two DisplayPort cables to avoid compression or reduction of chroma subsampling. Besides two DisplayPort inputs, the monitor has three HDMI inputs and a USB Type-C input (supporting up to 30 W Power Delivery) to attach gaming consoles as well as modern laptops. Meanwhile, the monitor has a built-in quad-port USB hub (2.0 + 3.0) along with two 10 W speakers as an added bonus."

Man of Honour
the press release definitely stated a single DisplayPort, although i think final spec is to be confirmed so i wouldn't be surprised to see 2x DisplayPort to allow uncompressed 144Hz at 4K like they did on the Nitro XV273K

Soldato
OP
"To take advantage of a 3840×2160 resolution at a 144 Hz refresh rate, gamers will need to connect the Predator CG437K P using two DisplayPort cables to avoid compression or reduction of chroma subsampling. Besides two DisplayPort inputs, the monitor has three HDMI inputs and a USB Type-C input (supporting up to 30 W Power Delivery) to attach gaming consoles as well as modern laptops. Meanwhile, the monitor has a built-in quad-port USB hub (2.0 + 3.0) along with two 10 W speakers as an added bonus."

It's interesting a few sites have this in the blurb, and it sounds almost as though it could be from Acer themselves (I've seen the same quote in multiple places), yet from images of the monitor, it's clear that it only has the one Display Port. As Baddass says though, this could change come final production and they might go the way of the XV273K.

Already sounds like this won't have DSC implemented, shame.

What significance does this have?

Soldato
OP
AFAIK would enable full chroma etc at 144hz (Display Stream Compression, added to DP 1.4).

I gather Turing supports it.

Does the Nitro XV273K have DSC? I couldn't see any mention in Baddass's review of that, yet it obviously has the x2 Display Port and says that it achieves 144Hz @ 4:4:4 Chroma.

Caporegime
Does the Nitro XV273K have DSC? I couldn't see any mention in Baddass's review of that, yet it obviously has the x2 Display Port and says that it achieves 144Hz @ 4:4:4 Chroma.

Nope, DSC would require only a single cable. My guess is that monitor manufacturers are having trouble implementing it on their end (or it's bloody expensice to do!!!). Remember just how long it took them just to get DP1.4 pushed out....:eek:

Soldato
OP
This was at Computex but like the Asus XG438Q has received hardly any coverage... bit of a naff video tbh, but good to see more footage of it at least.

Associate
I saw the Asus XG438Q at Computex, but it was only playing a video and there was no demo system connected to it. The Asus is rated HDR600 and 120Hz, so on paper the Acer beats it with 144Hz and HDR1000. Asus is Freesync2 and it works with GSync, but because of the Freesync2 (which is AMD trademark) they will not get an official stamp for Gsync compatible.

Associate
I saw the Asus XG438Q at Computex, but it was only playing a video and there was no demo system connected to it. The Asus is rated HDR600 and 120Hz, so on paper the Acer beats it with 144Hz and HDR1000. Asus is Freesync2 and it works with GSync, but because of the Freesync2 (which is AMD trademark) they will not get an official stamp for Gsync compatible.

Which Acer monitor?

Back
Top Bottom