Riding in the Rain

Soldato
With the weather how it's been this last week, I'm wondering what tips or comments you guys have about riding in the rain?

What's the good equipment? Anything to avoid? Do you just not do it?

Associate
I don't ride much in the rain, I'm a slacker so don't cut rides short if it rains while I'm out but if I'm solo and it's raining before I head out I stick to Zwift. However...

From a riding point of view, watch for manhole covers or any ironwork, or any white lines, they can be really slippery. Also, try to avoid riding through standing water if you can't see the bottom, it can hide all manner of horrors.

From the kit side, mudguards, and a decent set of overshoes are key for me. Having wet feet, especially in cold weather, is horrid. I don't suffer from cold hands so don't worry about gloves too much. From a jacket point of view, it depends what you want to spend, and how far you're riding. I have a pretty cheap Pearl Izumi top that packs down small for a jersey pocket, which is adequate for the riding I do, but if I was riding regularly in the wet I'd be looking at the Gore Shakedry tops, or equivalent.

Soldato
Take 5 psi off tyre pressures.

Avoid white lines & metal grids.

Make sure you stay warm but getting wet is inevitable.

Try and maintain a smooth fluid pedalling style and avoid getting nervous or focusing on bad stuff, look where you want to go.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, some good stuff.

Mudguards

Stupidly, when I bought the bike and they asked, I said 'nah'...

Any recommended type or make... or am I overthinking it, just buy some cheapy ones?

be careful on metal grates and paint.

Yeah, I've learnt this from riding a motorbike in the rain :)

From a jacket point of view, it depends what you want to spend, and how far you're riding. I have a pretty cheap Pearl Izumi top that packs down small for a jersey pocket, which is adequate for the riding I do

I'm only generally riding 10 to 30 miles. I also worry that a XXL wouldn't be big enough and this seems to be the limit on Pearl Izumi I've just been looking at. Any other good brands to look for?

**EDIT** I wasn't thinking to spend this much, but I like the Castelli items I have so far, so I wonder about this in 3XL. They have it in stock here, but their sizing guide says 3XL is still only about 45" chest...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, some good stuff.

Stupidly, when I bought the bike and they asked, I said 'nah'...

Any recommended type or make... or am I overthinking it, just buy some cheapy ones?

SKS somethings, can't remember which type. Just check which type you need, either if your frame takes them or not. Mudguards will keep you driest out of everything, amazing how much water comes from below rather than above when you're riding!

Soldato
Mudguards and a decent rain jacket make a world of difference (the Rapha one is expensive but excellent). You’d be surprised how dry your bottom half stays with a decent coat and mudguards unless you sit bolt upright on the bike.

Soldato
That's what I'm after. If you have any links, please share :)

A ShakeDry jacket as I've previously mentioned. A few brands offer them other than Gore, so shop around to find

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/gor...who-makes-the-best-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

I've got these Galibier bibs which have been excellent (especially at the price) in cold and most recently a 60 miler during Storm Hannah (very wet & windy)

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral2bibs/

If it's warm and wet, I have a pair of Sportful Fiandre Norain bib shorts which do a decent job of repelling water. Lots of brands have shorts with a similar DWR type treatment, so plenty of choice here.

Soldato
OP
Aaargh, I wish I was a normal size. XXL is 36-38" waist or a 44" chest... How is that Extra extra large!?!? :(

With this in mind, who is a good site to order from, making their returns process easy if something doesn't fit?

Soldato
A lot of cycle clothing is all over the shop, especially anything "European", "Italian" or "race" cut.

I bought two sizes of bibs from Galibier, so sent one back without hassle but had to pay the postage (quickly refunded). IIRC, Wiggle/CRC only offer free returns if you send via Asda...

Sigma Sports offer free returns via RM or CollectPlus : https://www.sigmasports.com/returns-policy

https://www.prendas.co.uk/ are another small business with a good reputation for service.

Soldato
Hate to say it but if you need particular large sizes you might be best looking at hiking/outdoorsy type gear for your outer (waterproof) layers rather than cycling specific. You'll lose some of the fit, I don't mean to be rude but if you're looking at sizes on the large side of things then you'll not be that aero, regardless of gear. Then just wear whatever cycling gear you prefer under it. Much of the professional outdoor hiking stuff will have thinner and possibly breathable options. You obviously don't need the thickness from it, just the waterproofing from the outer layers.

Riding 'all weathers' over many years (commuter) I've generally settled on Sportful Fiandre shorts, NoRain leg warmers & knee warmers. Upper layer is generally Castelli Fawesome/Gabba vest and just putting up with wet arms. Heavy rain I'll use a packable, the £260 discontinued NFTO pro rain jacket I have is superb, but completely overpriced (got my 2 in sales for £90 & £45 when they closed their store). But I would say the basic 'packable' rain jackets you get from many brands (Castelli Squadra, DHB, Endura etc) are 60/70% the same coverage for a fraction of the cost.

I did have (still have) a DHB 'EQ2.5' jacket. It was superb and a Medium is massive on me now (normally a medium castelli jerseys & large shorts). Defo not packable and one for wet cool days in the saddle. You might find DHB sizing much better than the more road orientated 'italian' sizing of brands like Castelli.

Overshoes (Sealskinz Open sole here) and Mudguards are your friends. The SKS XL/Longboard are superb if you don't have mounts. If you have mounts the Bluemels are great. Most SKS guards are good for the money, just fit can be a pain. I'm using £50 Specialized specific metal guards here and they're great, but heavy.

Back
Top Bottom