Undervolting/cooling help

Associate
Hello all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

So I brought the Proteus VI laptop from PCS (I7-8750H and RTX 2070) and decided to test it out on using 3DMark FireStrike.

I got an original score of:

Graphics: 18,869
Physics Score: 14,660

However, this was seeing temperatures of 100 Degrees Celsius on the CPU.

After asking the lovely @MiSJAH for help, I tried undervolting.

The lowest I could go using ThrottleStop without crashing was -150.4mV.
On a re-run of the test I got:

Graphics: 19,924
Physics Score: 13,469 (although other tests have been higher).

Sadly, the temperatures are still running at 98 Degrees Celsius.

If anyone could advise, I would greatly appreciate it!

I have attached a screen clipping with my TS settings.

Associate
OP
QJBD62w

Associate
What are your clock ratios set at for each core?

Can you show a screen shot of HWiNFO64 opened before running the benchmark but screenshot after the bench has completed?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Update: PCS took it back, found a poor paste job, re-pasted and sent it back. Now not going above 90.

Couple of issues that it would be good to get everyone's thoughts on:

1) Fans seem to be constantly on/loud

When the computer is at a pretty reasonable temperature (45 degrees) the fans seem constantly on. I presumed they'd pop on/get louder as the computers load and temperatures increase, but it seems very loud for the low temperatures.

2)

Using ThrottleStop, it appears that the CPUs are spending 10% of their time in the C0% state (highly active state) when the computer is completely idle. However, Task Manager is reporting 99% system idle process, so it appears that there is a significant amount of activity happening that the Task Manager is unable to report.

3) Long Term Turbo Power Limit

Again using ThrottleStop, when stress-testing, the CPU throttle backs at <90 degrees due to the PL1, which I believe is the Long Term Turbo Power Limit kicking in. It appears my laptop has been limited to 35W instead of a more standard 45W. This results in the CPU throttling back when temperature is completely fine.

Soldato
General rule - only buy a gaming laptop if you absolutely need the portability. Even the top spec, well designed ones just can’t keep up with the heat generated in such a small space. If you think temps are bad now, think how much worse things will be in 6 months time when it’s full of dust. At that point hardware starts to fail as the motherboard begins to warp out of shape and heatsink/coolers detach from their seated position. The poor paste job may indeed already be because of this.

If you can return it, I’d get rid before it really starts to drive you mad.

Associate
General rule - only buy a gaming laptop if you absolutely need the portability. Even the top spec, well designed ones just can’t keep up with the heat generated in such a small space. If you think temps are bad now, think how much worse things will be in 6 months time when it’s full of dust. At that point hardware starts to fail as the motherboard begins to warp out of shape and heatsink/coolers detach from their seated position. The poor paste job may indeed already be because of this.

If you can return it, I’d get rid before it really starts to drive you mad.

Which gaming laptop do you have that has given this experience?

Soldato
Which gaming laptop do you have that has given this experience?

I used to have a Dell XPS which was great to begin with. A few months of playing WoW and using it for Uni stuff and it had deteriorated to the point of barely being usable.

Since things are so unforgiving in terms of space, the cooling on a gaming laptop needs to be as efficient as it was on day 1 for the duration of the laptops lifetime.

With little way to maintain it yourself without screwing up warranty this isn’t really an option for most so dead or dying laptop can be expected.

Associate
I used to have a Dell XPS which was great to begin with. A few months of playing WoW and using it for Uni stuff and it had deteriorated to the point of barely being usable.

Since things are so unforgiving in terms of space, the cooling on a gaming laptop needs to be as efficient as it was on day 1 for the duration of the laptops lifetime.

With little way to maintain it yourself without screwing up warranty this isn’t really an option for most so dead or dying laptop can be expected.

Just so we are clear; you are saying the issue with gaming notebooks is the noise they make with the fans in such a confined form factor?

Associate
No - the cooling is inadequate over extended use which is why so many develop faults and stop working.

Oh, you're sharing your experience.

What are the maximum operating temperatures of the CPUs? What are the tolerances?

Much as I appreciate your opinion, if it were demonstrable maybe we would consider it relevant.

Soldato
Oh, you're sharing your experience.

What are the maximum operating temperatures of the CPUs? What are the tolerances?

Much as I appreciate your opinion, if it were demonstrable maybe we would consider it relevant.

Lol tight space + dust = poor cooling. Pretty common sense stuff really. Shoehorning hardware into a space just because it fits isn’t a good idea. You obviously don’t like this opinion, whether or not you consider it relevant is unimportant to me :)

I trust my own experiences more than someone keen to undermine them.

Last edited:
Associate
I prefer demonstrable facts to opinions.

With your experience with a single Dell XPS would you say the multiple billion dollar gaming notebook industry is sustainable?

I wonder why you ignored direct questions, could it be you don't actually know?

Soldato
I prefer demonstrable facts to opinions.

With your experience with a single Dell XPS would you say the multiple billion dollar gaming notebook industry is sustainable?

I wonder why you ignored direct questions, could it be you don't actually know?

Why choose to go on the defensive? Perhaps you own a gaming laptop and have taken offence? I haven’t ignored any questions, there are too many variables in your question about tolerances above.

Perhaps you can dispute what I’ve said about cramming in hardware with little room to breathe?

Associate
Why choose to go on the defensive? Perhaps you own a gaming laptop and have taken offence? I haven’t ignored any questions, there are too many variables in your question about tolerances above.

Perhaps you can dispute what I’ve said about cramming in hardware with little room to breathe?

I'm not defensive, simple pointing out that the laptop market is alive and well, and that your claim is not demonstrable.

Intel and AMD both publish their maximum operating temps for CPUs.

Are you capable of a fact based, rather than your opinion, discussion of the topic?

There again, you make a claim that the hardware requires room to breathe. Sigh.

Soldato
I'm not defensive, simple pointing out that the laptop market is alive and well, and that your claim is not demonstrable.

Intel and AMD both publish their maximum operating temps for CPUs.

Are you capable of a fact based, rather than your opinion, discussion of the topic?

There again, you make a claim that the hardware requires room to breathe. Sigh.

Look at the OP and read what I’ve said, how many more examples do you need before you’ll understand high TDP components don’t do well in confined spaces and will be susceptible to deminishing returns . Disputing common sense isn’t something I’m prepared to waste time on.

I couldn’t give a fig about how well the laptop market is doing. Most don’t have i7’s, i9’s, dedicated GPUs or high TDP components.

Your reference to maximum CPU operating temps suggests a misunderstanding of what happens when you combine two components pushing the best part of 100c within a 2” clearance. Would you care to take a guess?

Associate
OK, as someone that travels frequently I have a powerful gaming laptop (see sig) and a powerful gaming desktop.

My laptop has a desktop I7-9700K and RTX 2080, average temps whilst gaming are around 75°C for the CPU and 65°C for the GPU.

Feel free to demonstrate higher performing components in a laptop that have faults as you claim. I'll wait.

What are you claiming happens to these components (CPU and GPU) if used within their operating temperature range?

People tend to claim matter are common sense when they cannot support a claim with data.

Feel free to provide data in regards to warranty claims made because notebooks have been RMA'd due to components confined in small places, again, I'll wait.

Isn't amazing the performance available in your mobile phone or smart watch? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, as someone that travels frequently I have a powerful gaming laptop (see sig) and a powerful gaming desktop.

My laptop has a desktop I7-9700K and RTX 2080, average temps whilst gaming are around 75°C for the CPU and 65°C for the GPU.

Feel free to demonstrate higher performing components in a laptop that have faults as you claim. I'll wait.

What are you claiming happens to these components (CPU and GPU) if used within their operating temperature range?

People tend to claim matter are common sense when they cannot support a claim with data.

Feel free to provide data in regards to warranty claims made because notebooks have been RMA'd due to components confined in small places, again, I'll wait.

Isn't amazing the performance available in your mobile phone or smart watch? ;)

Your undermining patronising tone was enough to tell me you’re a current owner and something I said had rubbed you up the wrong way.

Now you ask for data you know I don’t have to hand because you think it’ll automatically make you right when I fail to produce it.

You know what, I don’t actually care :p I’m glad it’s working well for you - that’s it.

Associate
Your undermining patronising tone was enough to tell me you’re a current owner and something I said had rubbed you up the wrong way.

Now you ask for data you know I don’t have to hand because you think it’ll automatically make you right when I fail to produce it.

You know what, I don’t actually care :p I’m glad it’s working well for you - that’s it.

So what were you adding this thread? Your opinion based upon your experience.

If you can't sustain your claim, I don't see the point in making it. It helps no one.

(Owning a laptop is not prerequisite for a patronising tone, simply others making unsubstantiated will suffice.)

Back
Top Bottom