• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy a RX 5700 Or RX 5700 XT?

Man of Honour
Assuming of course you can actually buy a £475 RTX 2070 Super. Which you won't. Nvidia will wave that price on their direct store for all to see, but it will never have any stock, which means then customers can only get AIB versions which are already £500+. Exactly the same story as the 10 series.
Unsure if your reality matches my reality.
If anything, the geforce store was the only place one could get a GPU for 'normal' prices during the mining craze. Sure stock wasn't the greatest, but why would it be when it was undercutting etailers by £100-150 at the time.
Just have a gander at hot UK deals and see the deals history.

Soldato
If anything, the geforce store was the only place one could get a GPU for 'normal' prices during the mining craze. Sure stock wasn't the greatest, but why would it be when it was undercutting etailers by £100-150 at the time.
That's entirely my point. Nvidia never reduced the price of the 10 series Founders on their web store, but stock was non-existent for huge periods of time. "Stock wasn't the greatest" is quite the understatement, and the absence of stock meant that customers had to go without or drop silly money on inflated prices from retailers. The real-world effect was you could not get a 10 series at RRP.

The same is going to happen with the Supers. 2070 Super at £475 is going to be insanely popular, but I seriously doubt Nvidia will be able to keep sufficient stock for the demand. Ergo, customers get forced into higher-priced AIB models.

So again, in the real world you're highly unlikely to get a 2070 Super for less than £500, which pushes it into a performance and pricing tier above the one 5700XT is actually pitched at, ergo £430 for the 5700XT does not make it DOA. It's still too much money (especially if it doesn't sell for converted RRP like Ryzen is doing) but Nvidia don't seem to have actually pushed out the Supers to kill Navi 10, unless the knock-on effect is massive price cuts on the non-Supers. THAT is when AMD will need to address pricing.

Man of Honour
That's entirely my point. Nvidia never reduced the price of the 10 series Founders on their web store, but stock was non-existent for huge periods of time. "Stock wasn't the greatest" is quite the understatement, and the absence of stock meant that customers had to go without or drop silly money on inflated prices from retailers. The real-world effect was you could not get a 10 series at RRP.
Indeed. But context is needed here. This was at the height of the mining craze. The fact that Nvidia still sold FE cards at their RRP is/was commendable. Yes stock was extremely low, but it wasn't non-existent...it got replenished every couple of weeks - just had to be the lucky few who was at the website at the right time to get it.

The same is going to happen with the Supers. 2070 Super at £475 is going to be insanely popular, but I seriously doubt Nvidia will be able to keep sufficient stock for the demand. Ergo, customers get forced into higher-priced AIB models.
And the etailer gouge.

So again, in the real world you're highly unlikely to get a 2070 Super for less than £500, which pushes it into a performance and pricing tier above the one 5700XT is actually pitched at, ergo £430 for the 5700XT does not make it DOA. It's still too much money (especially if it doesn't sell for converted RRP like Ryzen is doing) but Nvidia don't seem to have actually pushed out the Supers to kill Navi 10, unless the knock-on effect is massive price cuts on the non-Supers. THAT is when AMD will need to address pricing.
Well 2060 super is basically a 2070, and RRP is $399, 2070 super is slightly slower than 2080 and RRP is $499.
RX5700xt RRP is $449 and only slightly faster than a 2070/2060 super.
RX5700 ($379) will probably trade blows with a 2060 ($349)
With nvidia's branding superiority, and better stock cooler...I cannot see how AMD can compete without lowering prices.

Soldato
I guess another factor is how long the non-Super cards will remain in the channel since they're now EOL. Do you get a 2060S or a 2070? A 2070S or a 2080? Nvidia might have to be careful they don't sabotage their own Supers by having the non-Supers around for too long. And if the non-Supers vanish quite quickly then the pressure comes off to a degree for AMD to drop their prices.

5700 family is still too expensive anyway even before we get into these here market wranglings.

Man of Honour
5700 family is still too expensive anyway even before we get into these here market wranglings.

indeed.

I guess another factor is how long the non-Super cards will remain in the channel since they're now EOL. Do you get a 2060S or a 2070? A 2070S or a 2080? Nvidia might have to be careful they don't sabotage their own Supers by having the non-Supers around for too long. And if the non-Supers vanish quite quickly then the pressure comes off to a degree for AMD to drop their prices.

i doubt the non-supers will have much of a price drop. sure it will have some...so that the super editions can sit in the correct price bracket, but again, marketing...
pretty sure there are some unsuspecting buyers that will get a 2070 because it is a bigger number than a 2060S etc...

Permabanned
How to read it - that 52% will buy one or that the top answer is a no....

nxpcp0.png

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-aib-cards-beautiful-packaging-pictured/

Caporegime
Not at their currently given price, they are too expensive, the 5700 should be £300, the 5700XT £350, they are good cards at that price.
Whilst I would not really be able to moan if it was £350 (for the XT), it should be noted that even that would be an increase well above inflation from previous gen's mid-range cards. Going back prior to nVidias 10-series, of course :p

That's the reality of what these cards are. Small, mid-range chips masquerading as high-end.

Caporegime
Whilst I would not really be able to moan if it was £350 (for the XT), it should be noted that even that would be an increase well above inflation from previous gen's mid-range cards. Going back prior to nVidias 10-series, of course :p

That's the reality of what these cards are. Small, mid-range chips masquerading as high-end.

They are much more expensive to make than the RX 580, GDDR6 vs GDDR5, same size die at 7nm which is 2X the cost of the wafer, and, they are twice as fast.

Associate
I could really do with a NAVI 20, so looks like I'll be skipping the 10 series unless they're practically giving them away. The problem is I'm unlikely to be able to hold out long enough, so may well end up back lining Nvidia's pockets.

Associate
If the 5700XT was about £350 then it would be a worthwhile contender, but seeing as it's priced marginally below a 2070 Super which out performs it considerably for £25 more, plus has an infinitely better cooling solution and less power draw despite being on a bigger node... well, it renders these cards as pointless and overpriced. That's before we even talk about features like DLSS and RTX (okay, they are worthless to most, but it still has these).

Caporegime
If the 5700XT was about £350 then it would be a worthwhile contender, but seeing as it's priced marginally below a 2070 Super which out performs it considerably for £25 more, plus has an infinitely better cooling solution and less power draw despite being on a bigger node... well, it renders these cards as pointless and overpriced. That's before we even talk about features like DLSS and RTX (okay, they are worthless to most, but it still has these).
Not interested in DLSS, it seems to blur the image like FXAA, It's too early for RT, the performance isn't there unless you go 2080TI, AMD will come up with a more efficient solution.

Associate
Not interested in DLSS, it seems to blur the image like FXAA, It's too early for RT, the performance isn't there unless you go 2080TI, AMD will come up with a more efficient solution.

I agree, but it just highlights the fact that Nvidia, love them or hate them, are giving more bang for buck. They beat these AMD cards handily on price, performance and features. That's before efficiency is even factored in (12nm using less power than a 7nm card, despite being able to do more).

If they are anything like Vega, they will get seemingly better over time with undervolt and overclocks, but really that performance should be there on day one.

Man of Honour
Also not interested at all in DLSS. I wasn't interested in raytracing either as current cards are too slow to take advantage of it. But I would be interested in a few years and wouldn't mind it on a card today just to see what it's like for myself. So RTX is of mild interest to me but certainly not a major reason for choosing one card over another unless price and performance are similar.

Back
Top Bottom