• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy a RX 5700 Or RX 5700 XT?

Associate
TBH at £400 the 5700XT is still too expensive. If the price drops to nearer £300 then I'd definitely be interested in upgrading my Vega 64. Above that price point meh. Given it's performance against the 2070S and pricing this card might struggle to sell especially if Nvidia drop their prices too. A 2070 Super at £400 yes please.

Associate
hi all i am thinking of getting the vega 56 do you think its worth it now or to old ? or wait till sunday and see what prices the new 5700 will be would it be close in price or is the vega 56 still a good card to go for now ?

Caporegime
hi all i am thinking of getting the vega 56 do you think its worth it now or to old ? or wait till sunday and see what prices the new 5700 will be would it be close in price or is the vega 56 still a good card to go for now ?
It's still kind of a gamble either way. I bought a V56 as I don't believe the Navi cards will be <£350.

But that was me making a gamble.

Soldato
It's still kind of a gamble either way. I bought a V56 as I don't believe the Navi cards will be <£350.

But that was me making a gamble.

I'm thinking of doing the opposite, returning my 56 and going for aftermarket xt when they come out or 2070 super, they seem to offer 50% ruffly more perf for 50% more money, not sure a super will work with freesync on my monitor though

Other half of me wants a ryzen 3700x and mobo though, cant decide what to do :(

Associate
I'm thinking of doing the opposite, returning my 56 and going for aftermarket xt when they come out or 2070 super, they seem to offer 50% ruffly more perf for 50% more money, not sure a super will work with freesync on my monitor though

Other half of me wants a ryzen 3700x and mobo though, cant decide what to do :(

can you just return it like that if your not happy ? i would have thought they would not exepct that for returns

Soldato
I'm starting from no card and the 5700XT is looking like a good stopgap until big Navi. The price drop definitely makes it an easier choice.

Man of Honour
Hmmm, I wanted to buy a Vega 56 but a few days ago was tempted by a b-grade Radeon VII. But these price drops are very tempting indeed. I may return the VII (still in its box) and get a 5700 XT. Heart says VII but head says XT.

Soldato
Hmmm, I wanted to buy a Vega 56 but a few days ago was tempted by a b-grade Radeon VII. But these price drops are very tempting indeed. I may return the VII (still in its box) and get a 5700 XT. Heart says VII but head says XT.

I've had very similar ideas. These days I wait a few days and see if it still send a good idea. I usually am glad I did nothing but occasionally miss out. I do find though that going for the new tech/features works out better. I do suspect AMD are going to do a Ryzen in the GPU space, their management just need a bit of time and R&D cash to get them back on track.

Associate
well I just bought a sapphire vega 56 the price was to good to miss for £223.99 so will see what happens tomorrow with the new 5700 cards, if its better i will cancel the order and get the 5700 card but i can not see it been about £300 for the 5700

just noticed the new cards are going to be called RX5700 and my 10 year old card is a HD5700 lol i already have one review soon, hang on it slow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see a Navi card being a worthwhile upgrade from a 1600 boost Vega personally.
While that might be true, but I guess they do serve the purpose for forcing Nvidia to playball and drop the price or increase the bang for bucks for their cards, so in the long run it should also translate to more bang for the bucks for the next gen as well.

I don't think anyone want to see the same Intel BS happen to the graphic card space (which Nvidia clearly has tried to pull with the RTX launch).

Man of Honour
While that might be true, but I guess they do serve the purpose for forcing Nvidia to playball and drop the price or increase the bang for bucks for their cards,
really? from what i've seen from the RX5700 launch, AMD was happy to toe-the-line with respect to GPU prices...and funnily enough, it was nvidia who slashed the prices by launching RTX super (granted RTX is/was ridiculously overpriced to begin with) that then forced AMD to slash their RX5700 prices 2 days before launch...lol

I don't think anyone want to see the same Intel BS happen to the graphic card space
agreed

Soldato
really? from what i've seen from the RX5700 launch, AMD was happy to toe-the-line with respect to GPU prices...and funnily enough, it was nvidia who slashed the prices by launching RTX super (granted RTX is/was ridiculously overpriced to begin with) that then forced AMD to slash their RX5700 prices 2 days before launch...lol

agreed

I'm seeing this like an auction, you don't go in with your absolute best price right off the bat. Much easier to go down than up in price, no one moans about price cuts. Nvidia have been playing games with their customers for years, nice to see them not getting it all their own way.

Associate
I'm upgrading and unsure if I should go for Vega 56 or 5700 or 5700xt. It will depend on performance per pound and if 5700 can be overclocked to XT performance. The thing is I think I'd prefer to wait for none blower cards

Caporegime
Nvidia has that too though mate. If you have GeForce experience installed, go into a game, press ALT+F3 and add the 'details' filter and you can increase image sharpening and clarity without much hit to performance, but a HUGE increase in visual quality.

Yup, think it's on any GTX or RTX card running later driver releases. I use it on all my games now, makes a big difference to visuals.

You're right they do have it and yes it's pretty good, i'm impressed with it, lot's of options and manual tweaks, i used the sharpen option and it does exactly that, it also turns up the colour intensity and brightens the image, a bit like fake HDR but it does a good job, it makes games look really good.

The only problem is it only works with "Compatible games" last night i got a chance to test it, first Insurgency, i forgot about it with that, then a quick round of Left4Dead, it worked, really improved the image quality, then 2 hours of Stellaris, that's when it said "only works with compatible games" Star Citizen, same thing again, didn't work, out of curiosity FarCry 3, again didn't work.

Great feature, makes a real visual difference, but seems to depend on nVidia adding it to individual games on a game by game basis.

Back
Top Bottom