Anyone else feel this way?

Associate
Hi all.

Does anyone else find themselves feeling lazy / lethargic / cba when they have a day off?

I currently work 6 days a week and try to balance as much as my own personal activities in the evenings around work, I make lists of tasks I wish to complete within a month say, and I tick them off as I go, but it always seems I don't have enough time for them which is my first problem.
But I have just taken 2 days off that I'm owed in lieu from working bank holidays, yet I just can't be bothered to do anything, Just felt tired all day, done bare minimum and it gets annoying that I feel this way.
I am one of those people that have to keep myself busy, whether its doing some maintenance in the garden, working on a project in the garage, or cleaning, there is always something for me to do, I can't sit still and watch something on a streaming service for too long before I get bored.

Does anyone else experience this? How have you overcome it?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Sounds like you’re being hard on yourself. If you work 6 days a week your heart is probably screaming to sit around and do naff all. Your brain, meanwhile, doesn’t know how to turn off!

Sounds a little silly, but have you tried meditating? Just to give your mind a little peace and quite and give yourself a bit more context :)

Associate
Embrace the boredom.
Sounds daft but just because your not doing anything productive doesn't mean you're doing nothing...well it kinda does but that's the point. It's nice to do nothing and I've got pretty darn good at it.
Learn to enjoy it!

Soldato
Sounds like you’re being hard on yourself. If you work 6 days a week your heart is probably screaming to sit around and do naff all. Your brain, meanwhile, doesn’t know how to turn off!

Sounds a little silly, but have you tried meditating? Just to give your mind a little peace and quite and give yourself a bit more context :)
Sorry to hijack the op but re the meditation, does it work? Does it help to ‘settle’ the mind? I struggle with sleep, my mind is usually a buzz with all matter or guff. Even when I do sleep I’m often still tired the next day, docs have confirmed nothing physically wrong - I’ve been like this a far back as I can remember. Someone else made reference in something I read on insomnia ages ago about meditation being a great help but I’ve no clue where to start to look into it and when I mentioned it to a doctor they looked at me like I was of my head!

P.s. mods, not looking medical advice just a pointer in the direction of where to look into meditation.

Associate
I make a to-do list and try to check off as much as possible.
If it isn't on the list it probably won't get done.
It gives you manageable objectives that you can pick from and the satisfaction of crossing them off.
instead of putting a big project, write down all the smaller components aka project management tracker.

Caporegime
6 days a week and then 1 off is hardcore... Dunno what you do but i cant think of many jobs where that's a healthy ratio in the long run.

You are never gonna get to do much with just one day off, you obviously just need that day to recover from the others.

Also very contradicting, you are a person that has to keep busy but cba to do anything anyway....
Well ok ! Good luck i guess !

Man of Honour
I tend to get like that if I'm not sleeping an optimal pattern especially covering night shifts and/or bouncing between night and day shifts :( diet seems to play a big factor as well - especially if I'm eating a lot of processed/junk food - I really notice the difference when I've had a few weeks of home cooked meals and minimal junk.

Soldato
pretty normal after all those hours
i do 3 days on 3 off followed by 4 days on 4 off .averaging 42 a week but the weekends are awesome
everyone should check their work/life balance ,im been made redundant end of this month but going to follow my own advice with a new job (after afew months off maybe)

Man of Honour
Sorry to hijack the op but re the meditation, does it work? Does it help to ‘settle’ the mind? I struggle with sleep, my mind is usually a buzz with all matter or guff. Even when I do sleep I’m often still tired the next day, docs have confirmed nothing physically wrong - I’ve been like this a far back as I can remember. Someone else made reference in something I read on insomnia ages ago about meditation being a great help but I’ve no clue where to start to look into it and when I mentioned it to a doctor they looked at me like I was of my head!

P.s. mods, not looking medical advice just a pointer in the direction of where to look into meditation.
I think it works on a number of levels and I’ve only really benefitted from some of the simpler ones. If your mind is anything like mine it will get into a spin over things unnecessarily. By observing how you are physically feeling you become present, and it stops the mind thinking, which breaks the feedback loops in yourself and allows your mind to relax. These videos are more explanatory than I can be, which are from a company called ‘Headspace’.

Soldato
OP - I feel like that all the time. It’s at its worst when I’m on nights as @Rroff said. I have lots of things that I want to achieve and lots of things that I have to achieve in my spare time. I get frustrated that I’m not working at 100% all of the time. It’s easy to forget that you need to spend some time catching up on sleep and relaxation. I lose efficiency in pretty much every aspect in life if I work long stints or strange hours. It doesn’t mean that I can’t be productive in those times, but I’m definitely less efficient.

The key is forward planning. If you’ve got a day off 1:6 then plan to sit and watch TV for a couple of hours or have a proper lie in. I came off nights on Sunday morning and was meant to be writing my thesis yesterday. I felt horrendous, agitated, unable to focus and frustrated. So I didn’t do any writing and made a conscious decision to go and cut the grass and poke around the garden for the morning. I didn’t magically manage to write my whole thesis in the afternoon but actually managed to do some mock exam questions.

You have to be kind to yourself. Busy is good, but burnout is not. Oh, and if you really want to test your time management skills, have a child. It’ll blow your mind how much time you used to waste!

Soldato
I think it works on a number of levels and I’ve only really benefitted from some of the simpler ones. If your mind is anything like mine it will get into a spin over things unnecessarily. By observing how you are physically feeling you become present, and it stops the mind thinking, which breaks the feedback loops in yourself and allows your mind to relax. These videos are more explanatory than I can be, which are from a company called ‘Headspace’.

cheers fella.

Caporegime
The LDAR lifestyle is great.

Like most things in life it’s a skill that can be honed, it can take years to get to the point where you can shift your state of consciousness but it’s certainly possible to just settle your mind within a few weeks/months of starting.

Back
Top Bottom