Trump reinstates death penalty for federal crimes

Soldato
Am a little surprised to see that the death penalty has come back..
The Trump administration has reinstated the US government's power to order the death penalty for federal crimes - and has started by immediately scheduling five executions.

Those condemned to death have been convicted of murders and sex crimes, the Justice Department said, and are due to be executed by lethal injection using a single drug, pentobarbital, which replaces a three-drug cocktail previously used in federal executions.

It is the first time central government has been able to authorise capital punishment since 2003.

The five people due to be executed are:

• White supremacist Daniel Lewis Lee, who was convicted in Arkansas of murdering a family of three, including an eight-year-old girl;
  • Lezmond Mitchell, who was found guilty in Arizona of stabbing a 63-year-old grandmother and forcing her young granddaughter to sit next to her lifeless body on a car journey before slitting the girl's throat;
  • Welsey Ira Purkey, found guilty in Missouri in November 2003 of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl before dismembering and burning her body. He also used a claw hammer to kill an 80-year-old woman;
  • Alfred Bourgeois, convicted in Texas in 2004, tortured and sexually molested his two-year-old daughter before beating her to death;
  • Dustin Lee Honken, found guilty in Iowa in 2004 of murdering five people, including a single mother and her 10- and 6-year-old daughters.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...for-federal-crimes/ar-AAER2z1?ocid=spartandhp

Soldato
I mean fair enough.

People like that are just a drain on the system and can never be fixed i'm afraid.

I'm not sure exactly how to feel about state sanctioned murder.... but those types of people are just unfit to exist tbh.

Soldato
Crimes fit the punishment, BUT quite frankly the US justice system is a shambles and they have been setting up / convicting innocent people from the time the country was created.

Just watched a documentary on the Central Park 5 on Netflix, and it’s horrifying how those boys were setup by the police. And we all know that’s just the tip of the iceberg, especially if your black in America.

Soldato
Crimes fit the punishment, BUT quite frankly the US justice system is a shambles and they have been setting up / convicting innocent people from the time the country was created.

Just watched a documentary on the Central Park 5 on Netflix, and it’s horrifying how those me were setup by the police. And we all know that’s just the tip of the iceberg, especially if your black in America.

True.

Something like the death penalty should never be used unless the evidence leaves absolutely no room for doubt.

Soldato
The death penalty is not a deterrent otherwise the violent crime figures would be lower.

This re-instatement to appease the god fearing conservatives who vote Trump. Obviously they never read the 2nd Testament where Jesus’ message is love.

Disclaimer: I’m not religious

Soldato
As utterly horrific as those crimes are, I personally don't believe anyone has the right to take the life of another, even in the context of punishment for acts of criminality. However.....I think the cells of these individuals should be fitted with a noose as standard, so if the compulsion to off themselves arises, they can do so.

Caporegime
Not a fan of the death penalty. No matter how much evidence they have, there will always be the possibility of sending the wrong person to death.

Man of Honour
As utterly horrific as those crimes are, I personally don't believe anyone has the right to take the life of another, even in the context of punishment for acts of criminality. However.....I think the cells of these individuals should be fitted with a noose as standard, so if the compulsion to off themselves arises, they can do so.

I'd have no problem with it if I was sure these people were 100% guilty but we've had so many cases of failings of the justice system, corruption and so on there is no way I could support it.

Back
Top Bottom