The Guardian's Owen Jones attacked outside London pub in a premeditated assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Stopped reading at "Owen Jones"

He labels everyone who has a different opinion to him as far right or a homophobe. He likes to get people's backs up and provoke them with snide comments. Probably someone he insulted in the past (or at that moment).

Like the OP then.

Soldato
I'm actually amazed at all the comments here. All I know of Owen Jones is that he's a pretty left wing, Labour loving columnist. He has good written opinions, sometimes annoys people on TV but that's about it.

Are these forums so right wing now it's ok for him to get beaten up in the street for writing columns that not everyone agrees with?

Please educate me with some links regarding the above incidents with him, having seen him on TV a fair amount, read plenty of his opinion pieces as well as one of his books I have somehow managed to avoid any of the above mentioned :confused:

I worry about this forum when the first 10 comments essentially say he's annoying and left wing so therefore it's ok...
Farage gets a milkshake thrown over him and its a threat to free speech or something. Owen Jones gets beaten up outside a pub by four guys and its justice and well deserved. GD is a fairly horrible contradictory place at times.

Soldato
This, he probably insulted someone in the pub he was drinking at, and later on took a battering for it.

He should realise you can't just spout out a load of abuse and not expect anyone to react to it.
There's a lot of victim blaming going on here. Man gets beaten up, let's assume he deserved it :rolleyes:

This forums an an absolute cesspit. Some of the comments here are disgraceful.
Yep it seems so.

According to some in the press. But how many actual "right wing" incidents have there been?
Well, this one possibly. He could have been attacked for "being annoying" or more likely as stated he was attacked for being a prominent left-winger or for being gay. Either of those two scenarios would place this as a right wing attack.

Hate crime, terrorism, todays buzzword, i Think he just fell foul to his own smug personality offending drunk people.
See above. Again, it's lovely that because people don't like the guy he's automatically to blame.

Associate
Farage gets a milkshake thrown over him and its a threat to free speech or something. Owen Jones gets beaten up outside a pub by four guys and its justice and well deserved. GD is a fairly horrible contradictory place at times.

No Nigel Farage gets assaulted by a mob whilst trying to speak on a political campaign by opponents who tried to prevent him speaking. Owen Jones goes out drinking and gets assaulted by a group with no clear motive other than Jones assumption that it was because he was gay and left wing, despite there being zero evidence so far that was the reason.

Given Jones previous for exaggeration and blaming of the other side for every single Ill in the world theres a healthy dose of scepticism

Soldato
Do we actually know he got hit for anything other than the fact he's obviously a mouthy nobhead? I wouldn't know him if I saw him in the street

Caporegime
The people on the UnitedKingdom subreddit were all foaming at the mouth about this yesterday. A few guys dared to question whether it truly was done by someone on the far right, or was it just Owen Jones being an annoying idiot as always and ending up getting hit for it like so many others do on drunken nights out. Of course, they got downvoted to oblivion and called fascists. :p

Associate
I imagine it's far more likely there was a verbal altercation which Owen, with his journalistic experience, probably came out on top of and then forgot about it. Sadly an embarrassed, and angry, drunk idiot probably left at the same time saw an opportunity to one up on Owen. It's an pathetic thing to do and is clearly assault.

Is it right wing? Highly unlikely imo. Far more likely Owen was a gobby twit to some other twit and Owen being a small guy got battered. Watching Owen on interviews he's very quick to label people as Homophobic, racist or far-right so it's not hard for me to imagine he insulted someone rather than it being meditated.

I doubt we'll ever know honestly.

Soldato
I imagine it's far more likely there was a verbal altercation which Owen, with his journalistic experience, probably came out on top of and then forgot about it. Sadly an embarrassed, and angry, drunk idiot probably left at the same time saw an opportunity to one up on Owen. It's an pathetic thing to do and is clearly assault.

Is it right wing? Highly unlikely imo. Far more likely Owen was a gobby twit to some other twit and Owen being a small guy got battered. Watching Owen on interviews he's very quick to label people as Homophobic, racist or far-right so it's not hard for me to imagine he insulted someone rather than it being meditated.

I doubt we'll ever know honestly.

Seeing how he gets riled up and walks out of media interviews if the interviewer isn't obviously pro-Momentum/rabid Corbyn supporter I wouldn't be surprised. If you behave like an annoying **** to everyone you meet you're probably going wind up in trouble at some point.

Caporegime
Oh god the passive victim crap here these days is so sadly wormly depressing.

I imagine this is what the UK has become, the race to being the biggest victim, if you have no power and utterly submissive i guess this is how it ends.

It's like listening to the bitches at work bickering about the dumbest, saddest nonsensical skit.

100s of idiots end up in casualty everyweek for spilling a pint or "looking at my bird funny"

Oh boo I'm so upset some idiot got beaten up for being a crapstiring Communist.
Maybe some loony right idiot will get a beating soon bring some balance.

Man of Honour
Although obviously assault is reprehensible, I can't help but think there's more to this. His explanation of the incident fits his agenda far too well for me to believe it without more information.

Soldato
He looks remarkably well for someone that took a beating, numerous kicks and punches to the head and not a scratch. I bet Andy Ngo wished he could take a battering as well as that.

Soldato
He looks remarkably well for someone that took a beating, numerous kicks and punches to the head and not a scratch. I bet Andy Ngo wished he could take a battering as well as that.
Clearly the right-wing thugs of London aren't as hard as the left-wing thugs of Portland.

They're letting down the whole of the UK, they need to up their game.

/s

Soldato
I'll start off by saying that it's not right that anyone should be the victim of crime regardless of political leanings or anything else.

But the way the incident was being described I thought he'd been seriously beaten up. I didn't expect him to be on the BBC debating programme this morning with no physical evidence showing.

From the few tweets I've seen of him about it, I get the impression that even he was embarrassed how people were using the attack to further their agendas.

Soldato
Everyone who gets their ass kicked always puts up their hands and yells DINDU NUFFIN MATE.

Every, single, time.

Then you see CCTV footage or witness accounts of the person being an absolute ******** and causing trouble..... now this may not be the case here but i'm fairly numb to whenever I hear people proclaim how they did absolutely nothing wrong. It's not right to assault someone yeah we all know this.... but if you go on a night out and run your mouth just be aware you may get your ass kicked.....

That's just how the world is wherever you go and it will never change. If you are respectful you find you seem to always just magically avoid any trouble.

Soldato
There's a lot of victim blaming going on here. Man gets beaten up, let's assume he deserved it :rolleyes:

Knowing the type of character he is, it's a fairly safe assumption.

And then of course there's several million other people in this country that can visit their local pub and not get beaten up? why is that...

He even said himself that he's confident it was a targeted attack, so he obviously knows he was offending someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom