• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
The data is all very hard to use. That was not a controlled test as there were x amount of variables that either not the same or unknown. I put a post on reddit but I would take this video with a grain of salt. The best example I can give to throw a wrench into the results is cool n quiet. With cool n quiet my highest boost was 4525 but with it on it is 4350. How many other people people had this feature on and how did it change their results? Ambient room temperature, cpu cooler, etc etc will all influence the results that people get. I get that he is trying figure out what is happening but bad data will not help, it will just enrage the mob even more.

I wouldn't go that far, IIRC he did say people submitting test results should reset their BIOS to defaults. Either way it not being controlled tests is sort of the point IMO, most people buying these CPUs are not going to be able to control every little variable and they shouldn't be expected to, the processors should be reaching their advertised boost clocks out of the box, something that's clearly not happen for the majority of people.

Don't get me wrong the Ryzen 3000 series are great CPUs and 25-50Mhz (even 100Mhz) makes absolutely no difference to the price/performance of them, having said that it's just not a good look to be over promising and under delivering, people naturally feel short changed, that they're not getting what they paid for.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if Windows updates or Chipset Driver updates can affect RAM performance, and latency. I used to get 64.3ns on the same setting I am on now, but now for some reason that has gone up to 66ns without me touching anything.

Associate
I wouldn't go that far, IIRC he did say people submitting test results should reset their BIOS to defaults. Either way it not being controlled tests is sort of the point IMO, most people buying these CPUs are not going to be able to control every little variable and they shouldn't be expected to, the processors should be reaching their advertised boost clocks out of the box, something that's clearly not happen for the majority of people.

Don't get me wrong the Ryzen 3000 series are great CPUs and 25-50Mhz (even 100Mhz) makes absolutely no difference to the price/performance of them, having said that it's just not a good look to be over promising and under delivering, people naturally feel short changed, that they're not getting what they paid for.

My problem is I do not understand what he is trying to achieve with this "data" as his conclusions were just made up and have no correlation to the results. This just screams as click bait testing.

Soldato
The data is all very hard to use. That was not a controlled test as there were x amount of variables that either not the same or unknown. I put a post on reddit but I would take this video with a grain of salt. The best example I can give to throw a wrench into the results is cool n quiet. With cool n quiet my highest boost was 4525 but with it on it is 4350. How many other people people had this feature on and how did it change their results? Ambient room temperature, cpu cooler, etc etc will all influence the results that people get. I get that he is trying figure out what is happening but bad data will not help, it will just enrage the mob even more.
Did you mean with cool and quiet off you were getting 4525MHz and with it on you were getting 4350MHz? It's not clear from your post.

Soldato
Results from Derbauer 2700 user survey

Show only 5% of 3900x hit the advertised boost clock.

The best ryzen cpu is the 3600 where 49% will hit the boost clock. All others are awful and overall on average a ryzen 3000 cpu will never hit its boost clock.

Roman made a good point “I don’t know how anyone can ship out a cpu where only 5% of cpus hit the advertised boost clock” sounds like a lawsuit to me

Associate
Results from Derbauer 2700 user survey

Show only 5% of 3900x hit the advertised boost clock

But that whole test is based on the assumption that Cinebench will provoke the max boost clock. My 3800X doesn't boost to the advertised 4.5GHz during Cinebench but often does during general use.

Kinda makes all of that useless doesn't it?

Soldato
But that whole test is based on the assumption that Cinebench will provoke the max boost clock. My 3800X doesn't boost to the advertised 4.5GHz during Cinebench but often does during general use.

Kinda makes all of that useless doesn't it?

Except that what AMD told him to do

He asked AMD what test would they like him to do to measure max boost. They told him to run Cinebench r15 single core

His survey test follows AMDs exact instructions to him

Associate
Except that what AMD told him to do

He asked AMD what test would they like him to do to measure max boost. They told him to run Cinebench r15 single core

His survey test follows AMDs exact instructions to him

When did this happen? I find it hard to believe that AMD would sanction this kind of test.

Soldato
My problem is I do not understand what he is trying to achieve with this "data" as his conclusions were just made up and have no correlation to the results. This just screams as click bait testing.
I'm not sure he was trying to achieve anything other than taking a sample of peoples single core boost speeds to see how they correlate to the advertised boost speeds, I'm not sure what there is to explain as i found the results fairly self explanatory, the 'conclusions' weren't just made up as the data spoke for itself and there was no relationship or connection between two or more things because he was only looking at one thing, the single core boost speeds.

If you look at the result he got from the 3600 it shows out of the 569 results people submitted 542 results qualified for inclusion and out of those 542 results 245 achieved the 3600's advertised boost speed, 24 were 25Mhz under the advertised boost speed, 51 were 50Mhz under, 69 were 75Mhz under, 79 were 100Mhz under, and 33 were 125Mhz under, and so on. He then shows what percentage of the valid submissions managed to reach their advertised boost speed or higher and that was 49.8%, have i overestimated how simple the statistics are to understand?
Roman made a good point “I don’t know how anyone can ship out a cpu where only 5% of cpus hit the advertised boost clock” sounds like a lawsuit to me
The dumb thing is they could've just lowered the maximum advertised boost clocks by 100Mhz and the majority of people would've always seen the advertised boost clocks, they could've left that spare clock speed as something for people who enabled PBO, people would've bought something like a 3700X with an advertised max boost of 4.3Ghz instead of 4.4Ghz and +80% of people would've got exactly what they paid for with the rest being like 25-50Mhz short, and then with PBO enabled people would've seen anything from a 25-125Mhz increase on the advertised max boost.
No, it's based on what AMD told him to do, he says near the start that AMD said to use Cinebench R15 and HWInfo with a changed polling rate and some other tweaks.
When did this happen? I find it hard to believe that AMD would sanction this kind of test.
Why am i getting the feeling people who are commenting on how his testing isn't valid haven't watched the video, he says at 3:08 mark that it was a recommendation from AMD when he contacted them in relation to the testing.

Last edited:
Associate
Then what is your point?

You asked why he’s using Cinebench as a baseline?
The video states AMD recommended testing parameters he followed.
His results are shown in the video.

What is it that you’re disputing exactly?

I'm not disputing anything. Just pointing out, based on the behaviour of my own CPU, that the testing may be flawed.

Soldato
There's no cool'n'quiet on my board. Under water with 55c load temps the boosts are still nowhere near.
Pretty sure mine doesn't have this option either. I see 4375 MHz max clock during Cinebench R20 1T but probably for under a second - interestingly this is the median result der8auer saw in his survey (~40% of results deemed valid) . Not sure about max clocks but average clocks during gaming were definitely higher with AGESA 1.0.0.1, I have a little graph to show it. It's only a ~50 MHz difference though.

My wife's R5 3600 hits 4.2 GHz all the time during gaming and that's with a Wraith Prism on low, nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not disputing anything. Just pointing out, based on the behaviour of my own CPU, that the testing may be flawed.

You’re still not making any sense but keep stating that testing might be flawed. Flawed in what way? Manufacturer provided guideline were followed which means that AMD themselves are expecting single core behavior to align with Max boost represented.

How is your sample size of ONE a better reference point?

Start putting facts together instead of drive by skepticism. It’s lazy.

Back
Top Bottom